OT The inventor of Email - Tom Van Vleck

Ed Gould

Jun 20, 2011, 1:34:42 PM6/20/11
http://www.multicians.org/thvv/mail-history.html

send email to list...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Jun 20, 2011, 4:19:06 PM6/20/11
ps2...@YAHOO.COM (Ed Gould) writes:
> http://www.multicians.org/thvv/mail-history.html

more off-topic ... some number of people from CTSS went to the science
center on 4th flr, 545 tech sq. and did (virtual machine) cp40 (on
360/40 with hardware modifications to support virtual memory) ... which
then morphs into cp67 when 360/67 became available (and later morphs
into vm370). cp40/cms & cp67/cms inherits a lot from ctss.

... others went from CTSS to multics (project mac) on 5th flr, 545 tech
sq.

misc. past posts mentioning science center &/or 545 tech sq
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#545tech

another of Tom's stories about cp67 and USL (datacenter
in another tech sq bldg. across the courtyard from 545)
http://www.multicians.org/thvv/360-67.html

I had done tty/ascii terminal support in cp67 at univ. as undergraduate
and had played some game with using one byte length field. Tom (at USL)
later modified max. length for TTY to something like 1200 (I think it
was some sort of ascii device plotter down at Harvard). The length
calculations then resulted in negative number which gets truncated to
very large length and a storage overlay.

Base cp67 did dynamic terminal type identification using terminal
controller "SAD" command to change line-scanner associated with specific
port (for 1052 & 2741). Changes i added for tty/ascii attempted to
maintain the dynamic terminal type identification. I then wanted to do
single dial-in line for all terminals (using hunt group mapping a single
number to a pool). Turns out that 2702 had hardware shortcut & hardwired
line speed for each port (separate from being able to dynamically change
line-scanner). Dynamic worked between 2741, 1052, & tty for leased lines
(where line speed was fixed) ... but wouldn't work for a single pool for
all dial-ins. This somewhat prompted univ. to start a clone controller
project that would do both dynamic line-speed and dynamic terminal-type.
Later four of us get written up as blamed for (some part of) clone
controller business. misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#360pcm

there was recent mention on facebook of early domain names
http://www.whoisd.com/oldestcom.php

I also pointed out old email involving 9-net
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006j.html#email881216

also mentioned that Postel (mentioned in previous references),
use to let me do section 6.10 in STD1.

old reference to interconnecting internal network
and csnet/arpanet (mostly for email)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/internet.htm#0
and this email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/internet.htm#email821010

the ibm internal network had been larger than the arpanet/internet from
just about the beginning until late '85 or possibly early '86 ... misc.
past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

recent references to computer conferencing mailing lists on bitnet/earn
(where existing ibm-main originated):
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011c.html#31 If IBM Hadn't Bet the Company
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011f.html#78 Wylbur, Orvyl, Milton, CRBE/CRJE were all used (and sometimes liked) in the past

in the late 70s and early 80s, I got blamed for computer conferencing on
the internal network; folklore was when the executive committee was
informed of internal network & computer conferencing, 5of6 wanted to
fire me; (aka at least chairman, ceo, president, etc).

Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.

Jun 22, 2011, 6:43:44 AM6/22/11
In <399744....@web161424.mail.bf1.yahoo.com>, on 06/20/2011
at 10:33 AM, Ed Gould <ps2...@YAHOO.COM> said:

>Subject: OT The inventor of Email - Tom Van Vleck

It's older than that.

Anne & Lynn Wheeler

Jun 22, 2011, 4:11:45 PM6/22/11
shmuel+...@PATRIOT.NET (Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.) writes:
> It's older than that.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2011h.html#44 OT The inventor of Email - Tom Van Vleck

besides:
http://www.multicians.org/thvv/mail-history.html

other CTSS reference pages by Tom
http://www.multicians.org/thvv/7094.html

from above:

Notable CTSS Applications - Electronic Mail

There were a few other significant improvements about that same time,
some contributed by the user community. Noel Morris and I wrote a
command, suggested by Glenda Schroeder and Louis Pouzin, called MAIL,
which allowed users to send text messages to each other; this was one of
the earliest electronic mail facilities. (I am told that the Q-32 system
also had a MAIL command in 1965.)

... snip ...

and from above:

Bob Creasy wrote "The Origin of the VM/370 Time-sharing System" in the
IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 25, No. 5, September
1981. This article describes the roots of CP/CMS in CTSS.

... snip ...

also from above:

RUNOFF

Jerry Saltzer wrote one of the very first computer word processing
programs, RUNOFF, for CTSS in 1963 and 1964. This program is the
ancestor of Unix roff, nroff, and similar text formatting facilities for
many other systems. Users edited the input files for RUNOFF with a
special editor, TYPSET, that supported upper and lower case letters.

Jerry has placed the original CTSS documentation for RUNOFF online as
Manuscript Typing and Editing (from Patricia Crisman, editor, The
Compatible Time-Sharing System, A Programmers Guide. Second
edition. M. I. T. Press, 1965, section AH.9.01, December 1966 revision)
and TYPSET and RUNOFF, memorandum editor and type-out commands,
M.I.T. Computation Center Memorandum CC-244 / M.I.T. Project MAC
Memorandum MAC-M-193. November 6, 1964. The source of RUNOFF is included
in the Pierce Collection tapes.

... snip ...

At the science center, Madnick did redo of RUNOFF for cp67/cms called
script (using very similar formating commands). Then in 69, "G", "M",
and "L" invented GML at the science center and gml tag processing was
added to script. A decade later GML morphs into SGML ... and then
another decade, SGML morphs into HTML (at CERN):

reference to SGML to HTML morph:
http://infomesh.net/html/history/early

misc. past posts mentioning GML, SGML, etc at science center
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#sgml