Quantas hit by leap second issue?

Ed Gould

Jul 2, 2012, 12:05:28 AM7/2/12
The issue is being widely attributed to the "leap second", the one-
second time adjustment for atomic clocks so they can synchronize with
clocks based on the Earth's rotation.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/02/qantas_network_down/

send email to list...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

Anthony Thompson

Jul 2, 2012, 12:12:51 AM7/2/12
I feel obliged, as an Australian, to point out there is no 'U' in Qantas. Qantas is short for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services, the company's original area of operations.

Ant.

Matthew Donald

Jul 2, 2012, 1:20:21 AM7/2/12
It wasn't Qantas - the leap second problem was with Amadeus, which since
they provide reservation services to many airlines, is probably worse.

Amadeus says it handles more than 3 million airline bookings a day through

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM, Ed Gould <edgou...@comcast.net> wrote:

> The issue is being widely attributed to the "leap second", the one-second
> time adjustment for atomic clocks so they can synchronize with clocks based
> on the Earth's rotation.
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/**2012/07/02/qantas_network_**down/<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/02/qantas_network_down/>
>
> ------------------------------**------------------------------**----------

Vernooij, CP - SPLXM

Jul 2, 2012, 3:20:08 AM7/2/12
It was worse...
Seemed their Linux kernel could handle it. Who let the student toys out
get of the student rooms?

Kees.

"Matthew Donald" <matthew....@GMAIL.COM> wrote in message
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Paul Gillis

Jul 2, 2012, 6:18:58 AM7/2/12
No "U" in the QANTAS acronym "Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial
Services Ltd."

Bill Fairchild

Jul 2, 2012, 10:47:21 AM7/2/12
As a non-Australian but ecumenical Anglophile, I feel obliged to point out that all the blokes and mates making telly adverts in which the word "Qantas" is spoken aloud should then stop doing so as if it did indeed contain a "U."

Bill Fairchild
Programmer
Rocket Software
408 Chamberlain Park Lane * Franklin, TN 37069-2526 * USA
t: +1.617.614.4503 * e: bfair...@rocketsoftware.com * w: www.rocketsoftware.com

John Gilmore

Jul 2, 2012, 11:03:31 AM7/2/12
My gut reactions to things linguistic are usually much like Bill's,
but I have two problems with his position here.

How does one pronounce QANTAS without suggesting to a naif anglophone
that it contains a 'qu'? Kantas?

More important, the ubiquity of homonyms makes the whole net-driven
practice of spelling things phonetically highly problematic. It leads
to abominations like "His curiosity was peaked" and 'She has a 24-inch
waste!"

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

Tony Harminc

Jul 3, 2012, 12:02:26 AM7/3/12
On 2 July 2012 11:03, John Gilmore <jwgl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My gut reactions to things linguistic are usually much like Bill's,
> but I have two problems with his position here.
>
> How does one pronounce QANTAS without suggesting to a naif anglophone
> that it contains a 'qu'? Kantas?

Since native* English words do not contain q without an immediately
following u, one might reasonably suggest that QANTAS indeed be
pronounced Kantas, by analogy with recently borrowed words like qat,
which no one but the naif turn into quat, and which often have
alternative spelling in k. But of course the QANTAS name is
established with the qu pronunciation, so why muck with it? If people
spell it with qu, they will be quickly enlightened or chastised.

*For some relatively recent value of "native", of course.

> More important, the ubiquity of homonyms makes the whole net-driven
> practice of spelling things phonetically highly problematic. It leads
> to abominations like "His curiosity was peaked" and 'She has a 24-inch
> waste!"

Neither of these sentences, while improbable, is impossible, or
inherently devoid of meaning. More than one bank has used the slogan
"this will really peak your interest". Corny, but not unreasonable.

While it's not Friday here, it is a national holiday, so please
forgive the digression.

Tony H.

Mike Schwab

Jul 3, 2012, 4:13:11 AM7/3/12
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Robert A. Rosenberg <hal...@panix.com> wrote:

> By the way you mean Homophone not Homonym. The former are words that sound
> alike but are spelled differently while the latter are words that mean the
> same thing but are spelled/pronounced differently. There are also words that
> are spelled the same but have different meanings and pronunciations
> (although I forget the term for this case) such as in "Please read this book
> which I have already read".
>
> Even worse is the use of Spell Checkers in the absence of follow-up use of
> Syntax/Grammar Checkers. All a Spell Checker does is verify that an
> alleged/supplied word is a validly spelled word NOT the correct spelling pf
> the word or even the intended word. You have to use a Syntax/Grammar Checker
> to attempt to verify that the word is correct in its usage (ie: Is the
> correct homophone or even the correct word [when you accidently mistype a
> word and end up with a valid word]). The best way of doing the later is via
> use of the Mark 1 version of IEBEYBAL.

You can't go through all that without giving the most famous example, can you?
http://www.jir.com/pullet.html

© The Journal of Irreproducible Results, v39 #1, January/February
1994, p 13, and v45 #5-6, 2000, p 20.

Candidate for a Pullet Surprise
Jerrold H. Zar
Northern Illinois University (since retired):

I have a spelling checker,
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing,
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when eye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too bee a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
It does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

-- Jerrold H. Zar
Department of Biological Sciences
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115-2864
jh...@niu.edu

Title suggested by Pamela Brown.
Based on opening lines suggested by Mark Eckman.
By the author's count, 127 of the 225 words of the poem are incorrect
(although all words are correctly spelled).

--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA

Vernooij, CP - SPLXM

Jul 3, 2012, 4:29:37 AM7/3/12
This reminds me of a poem, written by a South African poet in the times
of Apartheid. IIRC it had the encrypted and hopeful title:
Wheel if in a freak untree.

Kees.

"Mike Schwab" <mike.a...@GMAIL.COM> wrote in message
> (c) The Journal of Irreproducible Results, v39 #1, January/February
For information, services and offers, please visit our web site: http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with registered number 33014286

Barry Merrill

Jul 3, 2012, 6:53:32 AM7/3/12
QATAR Airways is also without the U and seemingly well pronounced in their
advertisements.

Barry

John Gilmore

Jul 3, 2012, 9:31:54 AM7/3/12
Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

<begin extract>
By the way you mean Homophone not Homonym. The former are words that
sound alike but are spelled differently while the latter are words
that mean the same thing but are spelled/pronounced differently. There
are also words that are spelled the same but have different meanings
and pronunciations (although I forget the term for this case) such as
in "Please read this book which I have already read".
</end extract>

Mr. Rosenberg's position is not devoid of merit. I could (correctly)
have written 'homophone' instead of 'homonym', but I was under no
obligation to do so: homophones and a proper subset of homonyms.

About the word he has forgotten: Homographs, words spelled in the same
way, that are pronounced differently are called heteronyms.

Of my two examples

'His curiosity was peaked', and
'She has a 24-inch waste',

Tony Harminc wrote

</begin extract>
Neither of these sentences, while improbable, is impossible, or
inherently devoid of meaning.
</end extract>

I concede that there is an important sense in which neither is
impossible. They and their ilk are common; and, as its name suggests,
the existential quantifier confers existence.

My objection to them was and is different: They are subliterate in the
literal sense that they are committed by persons having poor reading
skills. (On another reading of the word 'impossible' the first is of
course impossible: the verb 'to peak' is used ungrammatically.)

Let me also note that the American linguists' cult of usage, which
legitimates, even sanctifies, anything someone says or writes, must
bear part of the responsibility for the prevalence of these
constructs.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.

Jul 4, 2012, 10:56:19 AM7/4/12
In
<CAArMM9QDHNPyad88a2mDYztd...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 07/03/2012
at 12:02 AM, Tony Harminc <to...@HARMINC.NET> said:

>Since native* English words do not contain q without an
>immediately following u, one might reasonably suggest that QANTAS
>indeed be pronounced Kantas, by analogy with recently borrowed
>words like qat, which no one but the naif turn into quat, and
>which often have alternative spelling in k.

Some of the common schemes for transliterating Atabic and Hebrew use a
Q for a consonant that is pronounced K, e.g., Qatar, Qoheleth.

Atid/2 <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

Shmuel Metz , Seymour J.

Jul 4, 2012, 5:55:02 PM7/4/12
In
<CAE1XxDFdGi5uieWxxeXJErugkjVB0A0-fb=wi6ft1e=gTU...@mail.gmail.com>,
on 07/03/2012
at 09:31 AM, John Gilmore <jwgl...@GMAIL.COM> said:

>Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:

><begin extract>
>By the way you mean Homophone not Homonym. The former are words that
>sound alike but are spelled differently while the latter are words
>that mean the same thing but are spelled/pronounced differently.
>There are also words that are spelled the same but have different
>meanings and pronunciations (although I forget the term for this
>case) such as in "Please read this book which I have already read".
></end extract>

>Mr. Rosenberg's position is not devoid of merit.

He started out right but then got turned around. Homonyms are words
that are spelled the same but mean something *different*; he was
confusing homonym with synonym.

Atid/2 <http://patriot.net/~shmuel>

zMan

Jul 4, 2012, 8:12:50 PM7/4/12
On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
shmue...@patriot.net> wrote:

> He started out right but then got turned around. Homonyms are words
> that are spelled the same but mean something *different*; he was
> confusing homonym with synonym.

So "USS" and "USS" would be a case of a ...

(Somebody had to say it!)
--
zMan -- "I've got a mainframe and I'm not afraid to use it"

Edward Jaffe

Jul 4, 2012, 8:16:37 PM7/4/12
On 7/4/2012 5:11 PM, zMan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <
> shmue...@patriot.net> wrote:
>
>> He started out right but then got turned around. Homonyms are words
>> that are spelled the same but mean something *different*; he was
>> confusing homonym with synonym.
>
> So "USS" and "USS" would be a case of a ...

Dead horse.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc

Scott Ford

Jul 4, 2012, 8:31:38 PM7/4/12
Extremely

Scott ford
www.identityforge.com

John Chase

Jul 5, 2012, 9:02:20 AM7/5/12
On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 05:53:21 -0500, Barry Merrill <ba...@MXG.COM> wrote:

>QATAR Airways is also without the U and seemingly well pronounced in their
>advertisements.

Hmmm.... ISTR Qatar being pronounced "Cutter" in recent news reports. I've not heard their airline's name pronounced, properly or improperly.

-jc-

Mohammad Khan

Jul 5, 2012, 9:16:09 AM7/5/12
Sure, but one could still beat them :)

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:16:28 -0700, Edward Jaffe <edj...@PHOENIXSOFTWARE.COM> wrote:

>> So "USS" and "USS" would be a case of a ...
>
>Dead horse.
>
>--
>Edward E Jaffe

zMan

Jul 5, 2012, 9:21:22 AM7/5/12
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM, John Chase <jonb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm.... ISTR Qatar being pronounced "Cutter" in recent news reports.
> I've not heard their airline's name pronounced, properly or improperly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar, of course, includes pronunciation.

Mike Schwab

Jul 5, 2012, 11:11:30 AM7/5/12
http://katdish.net/2012/02/the-art-of-beating-a-dead-horse/