Re: Please tell me names of people whose ideas and inventions were stolen by Buckminster Fuller

Tim Tyler

Nov 11, 2004, 9:54:13 AM11/11/04
Robert <bobd...@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted:

> I am writing a piece for a student newspaper and I will appreciate it
> if anybody can remember the names of some people whose ideas and
> inventions were stolen by Buckminster Fuller.

Ideas are not property - in my book.

Even if they were, "stealing" them would be necessarily involve
brain-washing - that being about the only way to deprive their
originator of the ideas in question.

> I hope I don't get hate mails from fans of Bucky but I know he has
> claimed credits for work done by others.
>
> Can anybody please give me names of a couple of people who have been
> taken advantage of by Bucky?

Have you tried searching on:

"Walter Bauersfeld" and "Kenneth Snelson"?

They don't seem to fit your specification - but maybe they are what you
are after...
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ t...@tt1lock.org Remove lock to reply.

Kirby Urner

Nov 11, 2004, 11:06:12 PM11/11/04

You should write to Kenneth Snelson directly. He's a friend, you could mention
Kirby Urner suggested you do so. He and Fuller had a stormy relationship around
just this issue, and Ken did quite a bit of work to document other cases of
Fuller's piracy. For my page on their relationship see:
http://www.grunch.net/snelson/

For my stuff on Fuller (and I'm a big fan of Fuller), see:
http://www.grunch.net/synergetics/

Kirby

bobd...@hotmail.com (Robert) wrote:

>Hi everyone,

Phil Earnhardt

Nov 11, 2004, 11:08:08 PM11/11/04
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:54:13 GMT, Tim Tyler <t...@tt1lock.org> wrote:

>Robert <bobd...@hotmail.com> wrote or quoted:
>
>> I am writing a piece for a student newspaper and I will appreciate it
>> if anybody can remember the names of some people whose ideas and
>> inventions were stolen by Buckminster Fuller.
>
>Ideas are not property - in my book.

Indeed. And theft would be a question of legal finding, not hearsay.

>> I hope I don't get hate mails from fans of Bucky but I know he has
>> claimed credits for work done by others.
>>
>> Can anybody please give me names of a couple of people who have been
>> taken advantage of by Bucky?
>
>Have you tried searching on:
>
>"Walter Bauersfeld" and "Kenneth Snelson"?
>
>They don't seem to fit your specification - but maybe they are what you
>are after...

I'm not familiar with Bauersfeld, but I have recently done much
research on Fuller, Snelson, and tensegrity. I found no evidence of
any theft by Fuller. The main thing I noticed was that many who have
written about tensegrity were seemingly lazy and attributed things to
Fuller that should have been attributed to Snelson. I'm making sure
that I'm getting the attributions right in the material I'm creating.

IMHO, that would be an interesting story to report. The
mis-attributions to Fuller may have nothing to do with malice but a
failure of many to do their homework. It's my bet that the BFI could
help you with that story.

--phil

Robert

Nov 12, 2004, 12:09:13 PM11/12/04
Thank you Tim for the great info.

Walter Bauersfeld" and "Kenneth Snelson" are pretty ancient.

I am thinking of people who are more recent. I have heard of one man
who was finally given credit this year for work whose credit Bucky
claimed for himself.

Too bad I cannot remember his name.

Also , does anybody know of any other forum I can post my questions to
in google or deja.com?

There are so many positive and kiss ass postings about Bucky I have
just about given up searching one by one.

Thanks a million.

Bob

Robert

Nov 14, 2004, 9:33:22 AM11/14/04
Mr Urner and everybody,

Thank you all very very much for your posting.

You are the best.

Bob

Dick Fischbeck

Dec 2, 2004, 12:35:34 PM12/2/04
Hi Bob

You should try to get in contact with Robert Siedentopf. His web site
is:

http://www.advanced-geodesic-domes.com/

Robert has been interested in the same subject which you are
researching for your school paper. He considers Bucky an outright
fraud for some reason.

He is a partial list of some of the work and people that Bucky might
have been aware of and might have used in his own investagations.

- Babylonians used a base 60 number system (c 1500-300
BC), presumably since 60 and its multiples are the most
factorable of all integers.

- Sixty is also the number of proper rotations in the
largest non-cyclic point group, Ih.

- Etruscans played with pentagonal dodecahedral dice (c
500 BC).

- Plato: Timaeus (c 360 BC). earth = cube, air =
octahedron, fire = tetrahedron, and water = icosahedron,
four of the five regular solids of the Pythagoreans
(c 525-350 BC). -But who was the first to write about
truncation of an icosahedron? How about

- Euclid, Elements, Book XIII (c 300 BC)? Nope, still just
the ``Platonic'' solids.

- Archimedes (c 290-212 BC) was said to have known
of the truncated icosahedron (and all the other 12
``Archimedian'' isogonal semi-regular polyhedra formed
by truncating the platonic solids), but the written
record was lost

- Piero della Francesca's drawing of trucn. icosahedron
is currently the oldest known surviving example, ca
1450. Vatican library.

- Leonardo da Vinci made model of trunc. icosahedron,
drawing based on this model among others labeled
``hollow polyhedrals'' appears in Divina Proportione,
Luca Pacioli (1509).

- Kepler (1571-1630) first published complete list of
Archimedean solids and gave them their modern names
[Harmonices Mundi, Book II (1619)].

- Leonhard Euler (1707-1783) in Elementa Doctrinae
Solidorum (1758) first derived the relation C-E+F = 2
for any polyhedron, from which one can deduce that the
number of pentagons in a fullerene must always = 12.

- Geodesic sphere drawn by Yasuaki Aida, appears in Sanpo-
Kiriko-Shu (A Mathematical Collection of Polyhedra)
ca.1800.

- Haeckel, Ernst, Report on Radiolaria, in Voyages of H.
M. S. Challenger 1873-1876. Zoology, Vol 18., Part II
(Eyre and Spottiswoode, London, 1887). ---see Fig 1,
plate 111, pg.1634 for a skeleton of a once- living
fullerene animal.

- Geodesic sphere part of lion sculpture at the Summer
Palace, Peking, China, sculpted ca.1885.

Dick

bobd...@hotmail.composting.google.com>...