DOOM FAQ

Gerald Lack

Nov 13, 1993, 11:02:03 PM11/13/93
I thought everyone might be interested in this...
T H E " O F F I C I A L " *-D-*-*-O-*-*-O-*-*-M-* F A Q
Pre-Release v2.5 - STANDARD revision
Written by: Hank Leukart (ap...@cleveland.freenet.edu)
"The first EVER FAQ release BEFORE the game release!"
"DOOM: Where the sanest place... is behind a trigger."
"DOOM: Such mayhem the likes of which have never
been witnessed in this particular dimension!"

----------
DISCLAIMER
----------

This FAQ is to aid in informing the public about the upcoming
game: DOOM, by id Software. In no way should this promote your killing
yourself, killing others, or killing in any other fashion. Additionally,
Hank Leukart claims NO responsibility regarding ANY illegal activity
concerning this FAQ, or indirectly related to this FAQ. The
information contained in this FAQ only reflects id Software indirectly,
and questioning id Software regarding any information in this FAQ is
not recommended.

---------------------
TRADEMARK INFORMATION
---------------------

All specific names included herein are trademarks and are so
acknowledged: id Software, DOOM, Apogee, Wolfenstein 3-D, Creative
Labs, Waveblaster, SoundBlaster, Gravis, Gravis UltraSound (GUS),
Gravis Gamepad, Forte, Roland, Roland Sound Canvas, Pro Audio Spectrum,
IBM, Microsoft, MS-DOS, Logitech, Cyberman, Atari, and Jaguar. Any
trademarks not mentioned here are still hypothetically acknowledged.

----------------
COPYRIGHT NOTICE
----------------

I, Hank Leukart, the author of the "Official" DOOM FAQ, hereby
state that anyone wishing to reproduce the "Official" DOOM FAQ in part
or in full in any electronic or written form, must receive explicit
permission from the author via E-mail (ap...@cleveland.freenet.edu) and
acknowledge the author in the reproduction. This DOES NOT include
free distribution among online services (commercial or non-commercial).
This DOES include reproduction in magazines, electronic magazines,
computer software, manuals, and catalogs. If there is any question
about where it can and cannot be reproduced, seek explicit permission.
Only the NEWEST "Official" DOOM FAQ may be reproduced.

---------
CONTENTS:
---------

[1] Introduction
[1-1] About the "Official" DOOM FAQ
[1-2] Getting the "Official" DOOM FAQ
[1-3] Adding to the FAQ
[1-4] Acknowledgments
[1-5] Accurate Information
[2] What is DOOM?
[3] Who is creating DOOM?
[4] When is the release date of DOOM?
[5] Where can I get DOOM and related software?
[5-1] Where can I get DOOM?
[5-2] Where can I get DOOM hints?
[5-3] Where can I get DOOM screen shots?
[5-4] Where can I get a working demo of DOOM?
[6] DOOM Marketing
[6-1] How will DOOM be marketed?
[6-2] How much will DOOM cost?
[7] What will I need to run DOOM?
[7-1] What is REQUIRED to run DOOM?
[7-2] What soundcards will DOOM support?
[7-2-1] Will DOOM support the Gravis UltraSound?
[7-3] What game controllers will DOOM support?
[7-3-1] Will DOOM support the Logitech Cyberman?
[8] What makes DOOM different from Wolfenstein 3-D?
[8-1] Texture-Mapped Environment
[8-2] Non-Orthogonal Walls
[8-3] Light Diminishing/Light Sourcing
[8-4] Variable Height Floors and Ceilings
[8-5] Environment Animation and Morphing
[8-6] Palette Translation
[8-7] Multiple Players
[8-8] Smooth, Seamless Gameplay
[8-9] Monster Artificial Intelligence
[8-10] Weapons
[9] How will 2-4 player action work in DOOM?
[9-1] What will the multi-player gameplay be like?
[9-1-1] How will players communicate?
[9-1-2] Can players exchange supplies?
[9-1-3] What happens when a player dies?
[9-2] What exactly is "DeathMatch" mode?
[9-3] How will DOOM work with networks?
[9-4] How will DOOM work with modems?
[9-5] Can I play DOOM over the Internet?
[10] What will DOOM's music be like?
[11] How can I contact id Software?
[12] DOOM iNsAnItY
[12-1] Comedy
[12-1-1] A word from Douglas J. Bottoms
[12-2] Top Ten Lists
[12-2-1] Top Ten Things To Do While Waiting for DOOM
[12-2-2] Top Ten Things To Do Until DOOM Arrives
[12-2-3] Top Ten Things Being Removed From DOOM During Delay
[12-2-4] Top Ten Reasons DOOM Was Delayed
[12-3] DOOM R.E.M.
[12-3-1] Pixelated Demons
[12-3-2] The Mythical Beta Releases
[12-3-3] You Don't Take Mastercard?!
[13] Conclusion
[13-1] John Says...
[14] Revision History
[14-1] Pre-Game-Release FAQs
[14-2] Post-Game-Release FAQs

-----------------------
CHAPTER 1: Introduction
-----------------------

[1-1]: About the "Official" DOOM FAQ
====================================
Well, here it is, pre-release v2.5 of the "Official" DOOM FAQ.
What does that mean? Pre-release is before the game is released, version 2.5
is a standard revision written after 2.0, "Official" means absolutely
nothing, DOOM is the name of the game, and FAQs are [F]requently
[A]sked [Q]uestions.
Here's how revision classification works. If a new version of
the FAQ only has a small amount of information changed or added, the
version number is increased by 0.1. This is called a "minor
revision." If a new version of the FAQ has a substantial amount
of new information changed or added, the version number is increased
by 0.5. This is called a "standard revision." If a new version of the
FAQ has a huge amount of added or changed information, major parts of the
FAQ are rearranged, or major parts of the FAQ are rewritten, then the
version number is increased by 1.0. This is called a "major revision."
Version 2.5 of the FAQ adds some new information about what
DOOM will and will not support, some information about multi-player
mode, some information about DOOM's music, some information
on related software to DOOM, and some new additions to DOOM iNsAnItY. The
"Official" DOOM FAQ v1.0 was only created from the DOOM press release and
Usenet "hearsay." After v1.0 was released, id contacted me, and
offered to help with new releases. So, here's another. This may or may not
be the last "Official" DOOM FAQ before the game is released, I'm not sure.
I guess it just depends on how quickly new information arrives.
Well, I hope you enjoy this, it's supposed to hold you over
until the actual game release. :)

[1-2]: Getting the "Official" DOOM FAQ
You may also just send E-mail requesting the FAQ. Please
make the subject of the E-mail "DOOM FAQ Request."

The "Official" DOOM FAQ is posted every two weeks (or earlier
if a new version is released) on the following Usenet groups.

(1) comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
(2) comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.announce
(3) comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc

The "Subject:" line of the post will be "'Official' DOOM FAQ v??.??"
where "??.??" is the version number of the FAQ.

The "Official" DOOM FAQ is uploaded every two weeks (or earlier
if a new version is released) on the following FTP sites.

(1) ftp.uwp.edu IN DIRECTORY /pub/incoming/id
IN DIRECTORY /pub/msdos/games/id
(2) wuarchive.wustl.edu IN DIRECTORY /pub/msdos_uploads/games

The file name of the upload will be "doom??.faq" where "??" is the
version number of the FAQ.

[1-3]: Adding to the FAQ
========================
If you want something added to the FAQ, please send E-mail to
"ap...@cleveland.freenet.edu" (no quotes), explaining what your addition is.
It will be reviewed, and if accepted, added to the next FAQ version,
giving minor credit to you. In the E-mail, please supply your name
and E-mail address.

[1-4]: Acknowledgments
======================
I'd like to thank id Software for becoming involved with their
on-line users and with me and this FAQ. They have been a big help,
and without their game, this FAQ could not exist!
I'd like to thank all the on-line users featured in "DOOM iNsAnItY"
for allowing me to use their hilarious posts in the FAQ.
I'd like to thank all the other game companies making DOOM
look-a-likes, for helping us wait it out. :)
Finally, I'd like to thank everyone who reads this FAQ, you
are what the FAQ is for!

[1-5]: Accurate Information
===========================
An attempt has been made to make the information in this FAQ as
accurate as possible. Unfortunately, due to the fact that the game
has not been released yet, and that id is still making major changes
to the game format make it very hard to keep the FAQ as updated as possible.
Id Software and I want to give as much accurate information to the
public as possible pertaining to DOOM. Flexibility and deadlines are
also some of id Software's top priorities. Because of this, it becomes
very difficult to keep from making major changes to the game layout.
Id Software does not want to break any game promises, but "if something
[they] said they would put into the game causes it to slow down, it gets
pulled." Lastly, just keep in mind that anything and everything is
subject to change, and that by the time you read this, the information
may not be perfect.

------------------------
CHAPTER 2: What is DOOM?
------------------------

DOOM is a three dimensional, virtual reality type action game
created by id Software. In some ways, it is similar to Wolfenstein 3-D
(id Software, Apogee).
In DOOM, you are a space marine suddenly flung into Hell!
Scientists stationed at a moon base constructed for investigate a
mysterious anomaly have discovered more than they bargained for!
Suddenly, waves of grotesque demons race through the base. By the time
you hear the alarm, it is already too late. Everyone else on the base is
dead or transformed into insane mutants. Cock your pistol (or one of
your other 8 weapons) and prepare to meet the enemy. You must break
through ... or DIE!

--------------------------------
CHAPTER 3: Who is creating DOOM?
--------------------------------

DOOM was created by id Software, and will also be published by
id Software.

Note: Apogee has NOTHING to do with DOOM.

CHAPTER 4: When is the release date of DOOM?

DOOM was first said to be released in "the third quarter of 1993."
id Software has now delayed the release date until December 10th, 1993.
They said that they needed to delay the release to ensure a quality product.
Also, they said part of the delay has been caused by putting the DOOM work
aside while they worked on a Super Nintendo version of Wolfenstein 3-D.

CHAPTER 5: Where can I get DOOM and related software?

[5-1]: Where can I get DOOM?
============================
DOOM will be available via anonymous FTP on id's official
FTP site, "ftp.uwp.edu", in the /pub/msdos/games/id directory.
DOOM will also be available on 25 other FTP sites to be
distributed by the FTP operator of "ftp.uwp.edu". When DOOM is
released, please choose the nearest FTP site to you and receive
DOOM from that site. The list of the 25 FTP sites has not been
released yet, but will be released in the near future.
DOOM will be available via the Software Creations BBS.
The phone number of Software Creations is (508)-368-7036.
Lastly, the shareware AND mail-order version of DOOM will be
available from id Software for a minimal shipping and handling charge.
Id Software's phone number is (800)-ID-GAMES in the USA, 24 hours a day,
7 days a week. Next-Day-Air is available, as are other shipping methods,
so as to "shorten the delay of the demise of numerous demons."
Customers not in the USA will be directed to call licensed id
Software distributors to order DOOM. The complete list of international
distributors will be in the game.
DOOM will only be available after December 10th, 1993.

[5-2]: Where can I get related DOOM hints?
Shortly after release, the Official DOOM Hint Book and Hint Disk
will be available, price to be announced.

[5-3]: Where can I get DOOM screen shots?
DOOM screen shots are available at the same FTP site (ftp.uwp.edu)
and directory (/pub/msdos/games/id). The screen shot file names are
as follows:

(1) doompix1.exe (a self-extracting archive)
(2) doom01.zip
(3) doom02.zip
(4) doom03.zip
(5) doom04.zip
(6) doomscn5.zip

Additionally, there is a Windows demonstration of DOOM created
by Doug Marien. This demo incorporates many of the best DOOM screen
shots, a humorous sound sample, and the "Official" DOOM FAQ. At the time
of the release of this version of the FAQ, the newest version of this demo
is v1.4, and it corporates v2.0 of the "Official" DOOM FAQ. This demo is
available under the name "dmslug14.zip" via FTP in the "/pub/incoming/id"
directory on "ftp.uwp.edu". If the demo is not in that directory, it was
probably moved to the "pub/msdos/games/id" directory.

[5-4]: Where can I get a working demo of DOOM?
Currently, there is NO working demo of DOOM. However, there are
screen shots of DOOM. (see Chapter [5-3]) The FIRST known release of DOOM
is explained in Chapter [5-1].

Note: Unless you are an official id Software Beta-Tester, any Beta
version that you may have in your posession is a violation of U.S.
federal copyright laws. Violation of these laws can result in fines
of up to $250,000 and jail terms of up to 5 years. If you are in
posession of a Beta version, it is suggested that you delete your
copy immediately.

-------------------------
CHAPTER 6: DOOM Marketing
-------------------------

[6-1]: How will DOOM be marketed?
=================================
The first episode of DOOM will be shareware (8 levels + secret),
and will be available to the general public. As with all of id Software's
games, the shareware version of DOOM will have NO registration fee. Two
additional episodes will be available immediately after release, which
feature a "journey to another dimension." These additional episodes will
sold by mail order from id Software.
A commercial episode will be released sometime in 1994.

[6-2]: How much will DOOM cost?
===============================
The mail-order version of DOOM will cost $40.00 (US Currency) plus
a minimal shipping and handling charge.
The commercial episode's price has not been set as yet.

CHAPTER 7: What will I need to run DOOM?

[7-1]: What is REQUIRED to run DOOM?
====================================
DOOM will require a 386sx IBM compatible computer running DOS, VGA
(320x200x256) graphics, and 4mb of RAM.
DOOM will also be ported to the Atari Jaguar. No other ports
are planned at this time that id Software "can talk about."
The shareware episode of DOOM MAY EXCEED 1.44mb in compressed form,
and the "commercial" episodes (together) will be somewhere in the
neighborhood of 10mb, uncompressed.

[7-2]: What soundcards will DOOM support?
DOOM will support the Adlib, SoundBlaster, SoundBlaster Pro,
SoundBlaster 16, Roland Sound Canvas, and the Pro Audio Spectrum (in
native mode).
DOOM supports MPU-401 uarts which are what most General MIDI
cards use. This includes Creative Labs' Waveblaster.

[7-2-1]: Will DOOM support the Gravis UltraSound?
You will be happy to know that id is working hand-in-hand with
both Gravis and Forte to make sure the game supports the GUS in native
mode. "If it can be done, we will do it!" says Jay Wilbur of id
Software. (j...@idsoftware.com)
Jay Wilbur speaks on the topic of GUS 3D support:

"Size limitations for the shareware version and new technology
on the horizon (for newer, cooler games) are the reasons we may not put
the GUS 3D support in. The amount of sounds it requires would eat too
much disk space for us to handle. Listen, we want to support the GUS
as much as you want us to support the GUS.
Our sound code guy has committed to getting the board up and
running. Gravis and Forte have provided resources beyond the call of
duty to help us get the board up and running. We want to get the
board up and running.
The fact remains that something outside our control (code size,
our inexperience with the board and deadlines, etc.) may (possibly,
perhaps, unlikely but maybe) prevent us from providing native support.
If that happens, nobody will be sadder than us. We will miss bundling
opportunities with Gravis, sales opportunities with GUS users, etc.
This is not a pleasant thought for us.
Please try to understand our position. We want to support the GUS
as much, perhaps even more, than you do. We will do everything in our
power to put the support in. If everything works out (and it looks like
it will--the game is running with native GUS support in right now) the
code will be in. If the code is not in, please don't come and try to kill
us, we did everything we could to make it happen."

[7-3]: What game controllers will DOOM support?
DOOM will support keyboard, mouses (plural of "mouse" when talking
about computers, believe me), joysticks, and trackballs (functioning
as a mouse).
DOOM will also support the Gravis Gamepad.

[7-3-1]: Will DOOM support the Logitech Cyberman?
As of now, it seems that DOOM will *NOT* support the
Cyberman. Id Software does not feel it is the best controller
for DOOM.

CHAPTER 8: What makes DOOM different from Wolfenstein 3-D?

Parts of this list of DOOM's features were taken from the
January 1, 1993 and August 24, 1993 DOOM press releases.

[8-1]: Texture-Mapped Environment
=================================
DOOM offers the most realistic environment to date on the PC.
Texture-mapping, the process of rendering fully-drawn art and
scanned textures on the walls, floors, and ceilings of an
environment, makes the world much more real, thus bringing the
player more into the game experience. Others have attempted
this, but DOOM's texture mapping is fast, accurate, and
seamless. Texture-mapping the floors and ceilings is a big
improvement over Wolfenstein 3-D. With their new advanced graphic
development techniques, allowing game art to be generated five
times faster, id brings new meaning to "state-of-the-art".

[8-2]: Non-Orthogonal Walls
===========================
In other games (such as Wolfenstein 3-D), walls were always joined
at ninety degrees to each other, and were always eight feet thick. DOOM's
walls can be at any angle, and be of any thickness. Walls can have
see-through areas, change shape, and animate. This allows more natural
construction of levels. If you can draw it on paper, you can
see it in the game.

[8-3]: Light Diminishing/Light Sourcing
=======================================
Another touch adding realism is light diminishing. With
distance, your surroundings become enshrouded in darkness. This
makes areas seem huge and intensifies the experience. This may also
require you to search for a light switch! Light sourcing allows lamps
and lights to illuminate hallways, explosions to light up areas, and strobe
lights to briefly reveal things near them. These two features will make
the game frighteningly real.

[8-4]: Variable Height Floors and Ceilings
Floors and ceilings can be of any height, allowing for stairs,
poles, altars, plus low hallways and high caves-allowing a great
variety for rooms and halls.

[8-5]: Environment Animation and Morphing
In DOOM, the world reacts to you. Many surfaces can animate.
A glowing wall-plate may change in appearance when you touch it.
Radioactive ooze could seethe and bubble.
In earlier versions of the FAQ, I talked about environment
animation and morphing. Id Software has removed information terminals,
access stations, and wall weapon damaging. Additionally, rooms will no
longer close in on you, and walls will not have animated messages. See
Chapter [1-4] for more information on features removed from DOOM.

[8-6]: Palette Translation
==========================
In earlier versions of the FAQ, I talked about many different
types of palette translation. Most of the palette translation has been
removed from DOOM. The only palette translations that are currently
implemented in DOOM are for multi-player mode (other players are in
different colors) and invincibility mode. See Chapter [1-4] for more
information on features that are removed from DOOM.

[8-7]: Multiple Players
=======================
Up to four players can play over a local network, or two players
can play by modem or serial link. You can see the other player
in the environment, communicate with him or her, and in certain situations
you can switch to their view. This feature, added to the 3-D realism, makes
DOOM a very powerful cooperative game and its release a landmark
event in the software industry.
This is the first game to really exploit the power of LANs and
modems to their full potential. In 1994, we fully expect to be
the number one cause of decreased productivity in businesses
around the world.
See Chapter 9 for more information on multi-playing.

[8-8]: Smooth, Seamless Gameplay
================================
The environment in DOOM is frightening, but the player can be at
ease when playing. Much effort has been spent on the
development end to provide the smoothest control on the user
end. And the frame rate (the rate at which the screen is
updated) is high, so you move smoothly from room to room,
turning and acting as you wish, unhampered by the slow jerky
motion of most 3-D games. On a 386sx, the game runs well, and
on a 486/33, the normal mode frame rate is faster than movies or
television. This allows for the most important and enjoyable
aspect of gameplay-immersion.
Recently, id began optimizing DOOM to run best on 486 and Pentium
systems. Because of this, DOOM won't run as beautifully on a 386 as
first thought. However, id is thinking of keeping 386-optimized code
in the game as a selectable option. Another id idea is developing an
alternate set of levels that will optimize performance on 386 systems,
but the actual code wouldn't change.
According to id, 386's SHOULD be able to get a decent frame
rate while playing DOOM by using Medium Detail and sizing the screen
down a notch or two.
Lastly, id is "looking into" adding a VESA SVGA page-flip mode
that will be "mostly-compatible with a lot of" SVGA board and will
speed up performance. This would not be the default mode, and would NOT
work on ALL systems.

[8-9]: Monster Artificial Intelligence
======================================
Wolfenstein 3-D is basically made up of a lot of closed
rooms. When you open a door, the guards get a chance to
see you and opening the door connects your sound area to
the revealed room's sound area, so a gunshot will be heard
in both places. Guards in both places will respond to this
kind of action.
In DOOM it's much more complex. DOOM isn't made up of a
bunch of rooms; it's a cohesive world. You might blast
your shotgun and the sound could travel through a window
or slime-river tunnel to another entirely different area
and piss-off some monsters. Then, they'll come looking
for you! Opening doors, going down stairs, wading through
slime, etc. You'll still be able to get the drop on them
from behind, just like in Wolfenstein 3-D -- but you have to be
sneakier about it.

[8-10]: Weapons
===============
Here's a list of weapons that will be included in DOOM. Don't
try using these at home. :)

(1) Fist
(2) Chain Saw
(3) Pistol
(4) Shotgun
(5) Chain Gun
(6) Missile Launcher
(7) Plasma Gun
(8) BFG9000

CHAPTER 9: How will 2-4 player action work in DOOM?
DOOM will support 2-4 players in a multi-player mode.
DOOM will be playable over networks, modems and by serial link.
The shareware version of DOOM *will* support multi-players.

[9-1]: What will the multi-player gameplay be like?
In DOOM, players will be able to see each other, and watch
each other jerk in pain as they are hit during the game. Players
will be able to watch others get hurt, die, and move throughout
the labyrinth. DOOM will allow players to play together, working as
a team. In this cooperative mode, players can see each other on an
"automap" and switch to each other's view.

[9-1-1]: How will players communicate?
--------------------------------------
Players can communicate in real-time messages while playing
DOOM. Game play will not stop while a player sends a message. To send
a message, you would type a "chat-mode activator key," then the
destination (or you can specify to send to all players). You can then
enter your message, hit enter, and the message is sent.

[9-1-2]: Can players exchange supplies?
---------------------------------------
As of now, players will not be able to exchange supplies
during the game. Supplies includes ammo, weapons, or health. However,
when you pickup a weapon, it does not disappear from the "playing
field." Other players may still take the same weapon. Weapons
can be taken indefinately.

[9-1-3]: What happens when a player dies?
As of now, nothing happens. The player just dies. His supplies
cannot be taken by other players. However, when you pickup a weapon, it
does not disappear from the "playing field." Other players may still
take the same weapon. Weapons can be taken indefinately.

[9-2]: What exactly is "DeathMatch" mode?
DOOM has a "DeathMatch" mode where every player is out for
himself. At the beginning, the level will be infested with enemies
and power-ups. Everyone must kill all the demons to ready the battlefield
for the player vs. player manhunt (my favorite gaming word). In this mode,
players will not be able to see the other players in the automap, nor
switch to their view. Players will not be able to view other's health
in the mode, because of the disadvantage this can cause.

[9-3]: How will DOOM work with networks?
DOOM will the IPX (Novell Netware) protocol in the initial
shareware version. Any network supporting the protocol should work fine.
TCP/IP and other protocols will be supported in a later version
soon after DOOM's release. Using this network support, DOOM could be
played in a workplace type environment.

[9-4]: How will DOOM work with modems?
======================================
DOOM will work in two player mode by modem or serial
link. The minimum baud rate to play DOOM will be 9600 bps. There
is no maximum baud rate, except for hardware/phone line limitations.

[9-5]: Can I play DOOM over the Internet?
With Internet access, a 56K line, and only a few router hops,
you should be able to run DOOM over the InterNet. An Internet server is
being planned to handle many DOOM players at once, but this is not a
definite, and cannot be designed until the release of DOOM. "I'll get to
work on it as soon as the game comes out =)", says Saqib A. Qureshi.
(qur...@ug.cs.dal.ca)

CHAPTER 10: What will DOOM's music be like?

Many people have been requesting that specific songs be
added to DOOM. DOOM's music will be ALL original and composed
by Robert Prince. However, his tunes may have traces of Alice In Chains,
Stone Temple, Pilots, Soundgarden, and other similar groups. There
will be "lots of excellent suspense music" as well.

CHAPTER 11: How can I contact id Software?

Id Software can be contacted via the InterNet. If you would like to
ask any questions about DOOM (that are not answered in here), send
E-mail to he...@idsoftware.com.
Id Software can also be reached at their 800 number. The
number is (800)-ID-GAMES. This number is for ordering games ONLY. This
number is not for technical support or inquires.

-------------------------
CHAPTER 12: DOOM iNsAnItY
-------------------------

This chapter features humor about DOOM, written by ANYONE who's
willing to try (or maybe even on accident). Anyway, here they are.

[12-1]: Comedy
==============

This is the chapter of DOOM iNsAnItY where free-form comedy
is written.

[12-1-1]: A word from Douglas J. Bottoms
FOREWORD: Here's the first addition to DOOM iNsAnItY!
This was posted on comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action on Thursday,
October 21, 1993. He speaks on a new game idea: id programmers
as bad guys in DOOM.

----------
Subject: NEW GAME! id programmers as bad guys in DOOM!
From: Douglas J. Bottoms <DBot...@Lilly.Com>
Date: Thu Oct 21 10:00:02 1993

That's it!! I new twist on the game!!! The DOOM good guys are idle
gaming buffs who have finally cracked and can no longer wait for the
release of the only game that will make ALL OTHER games seem like PONG!
Blind Wolfenstein will no longer simmer the anger! They go slap-happy and
grab their multidimensional boots and gloves (with snazzy smooth shading)
and go to the id programmers' dungeon/lair. It will be a slaughter!
Pixilated programmers, peeved project leaders, panting personnel...the
works. The big bosses could be just that, the big bosses, especially the
one who just made a press release that DOOM would be delayed another few
months (this is make believe, of course - (squint) you aren't going to
delay the release (pant, pant); look into my eyes (o)(o) (imagine
reversing sound) and repeat after me, "I must release DOOM soon. I must
program, eat, sleep day and night." Mu who ha ha ha!).

Excuse my sanity. I get a bit zany when I get thinking about the soon to
be released game that will resolve the U.S.' Deficit and save the rats
from being beheaded on the space shuttle. I see the sun raising...

The thoughts expressed here are entirely my own and do not necessarily
reflect the thoughts of any other individual or group affiliated with Eli
Lilly and Company.
----------

[12-2]: Top Ten Lists
=====================
Here, humorous top ten lists regarding DOOM are written.

[12-2-1]: Top Ten Things to Do While Waiting for DOOM
FOREWORD: This was posted on Amercia Online, by someone
using the name "Wolkonsky" on August 27, 1993.

----------
Well, here we are waiting another 2-3 months [for DOOM]. What else
can we do?

1) Search the Internet for Beta Version.
2) See if we can go through Wolfenstein 3-D with our eyes closed.
3) Use MapEdit/WolfEdit to make Wolfenstein 3-D "look like" DOOM.
4) Find out where the id "lab" is and "encourage" them.
5) Watch the new 90210 episode!
6) See if Blake Stone or Rampage will be any good.
7) Upload the Lemmings Demo as "DOOM10.ZIP" and see what happens.
8) Get girlfriends and drop them on 12/10/93, unless they like DOOM and
have a computer with a modem.
9) Or lastly, look at DOOM slides and "pretend" we are playing.
----------

[12-2-2]: Top Ten Things To Do Until DOOM Arrives
FOREWORD: This was posted on Amercia Online, by someone
using the name "ScottBro" on October 7, 1993.

----------
Top 10 Things To Do
Until DOOM arrives

10. Get a marker and change boxes of George Lucas's "LOOM" to "DOOM" to
confuse over-anxious gamers.
9. Issue bogus press release from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist,
saying the DOOMsday clock will strike midnight sometime before
September 30, 1993.
8. Get a date with someone from L7.
7. When feeling depressed due to the wait, chant the B.J. Blaskowitz mantra,
"This is my rifle, This is my gun,
This is for killing, this is for fun.
6. Memorize the July Computer Gaming World, pages 104-5, preview of DOOM.
5. Get network and sound card installed on all systems at the office.
4. Make DOOM acronyms, like
"Dantes Obsessive Outrageous Marauders"
3. Tell boss I'll need two weeks vacation on very short notice during the
third quarter, due to pending family crisis.
2. Figure a way to persuade Id to allow imports of faces on monsters, so
we can make creatures like the:
Sunnunu Bloated Beast, the Michael Bolton Shrieker, and the Ex-Wife
from Hell, where she belongs.
1. Try and make friends with the Big Blue guys from Wolfie;
We might need help this time.
----------

[12-2-3]: Top Ten Things Being Removed From DOOM During Delay
FOREWORD: This was posted on Amercia Online, by someone
using the name "Wolkonsky" on August 31, 1993.

----------
The DOOM Delay of `93 might be worse than we first thought! Here is
a list of things that I heard were being taken out of DOOM.

1) Socks the Cat
2) Cameo by the Mario Brothers (you thought the Pac-Man Ghosts were bad)
3) The "Shawngreen" monster in level 3 (too scary, it went around screaming
"Its not done yet! Not yet!")
4) Cindy Crawford workout in level 4
5) Vanilla Ice-Amy Grant theme song
6) "Fun with Barney" puzzle in level 2
7) Pin Up GIF of Sally Struthers.
8) "John 3:15" : various locations
9) "Bulges" in monsters groin area
AND FINALLY,
10) The Bathroom Scenes.
----------

[12-2-4]: Top Ten Reasons DOOM Was Delayed
FOREWORD: This was posted by an unknown source at an unknown
location, on September 21, 1993. If you know who the writer is, please
send me some E-mail so I can give appropriate credit.

----------
The following is intended to be humorous, with no ill intent
whatsoever. I hope everyone takes it in the spirit it is given. ;)

DAVE: "I have in my hand here tonight's Top 10 List from the
home office in Sioux City, Iowa. Actually, it's a Top 15."

(show the special graphics)

DAVE: "Them special effects is fantastic!" (grin) "Tonight's category is:
Top 15 reasons DOOM's release was delayed to December 10th. Here we
go..."

15. Added near death sequence when player is shot full of holes.

14. Added networking capability via spaghetti noodles.

13. "If Origin can do it, so can we."

12. They want to ensure it won't run under Windows.

11. Currently using DOOM as negotiating tool to get Ukraine to give up nukes.

10. Fighting lawsuit from Apogee claiming DOOM is their 'intellectual
property'. (for those Letterman fans)

9. They want to increase fourth quarter earnings.

8. The bosses wife wants to 'redecorate' the levels.

7. They want to make a politically correct version.

6. id aspires to be the next Microsoft.

5. NASA lost the source code.

4. Bill's waiting for Hillary's permission to release game. (oops,
sorry, that's the Health Care Reform Package)

3. John's dog ate his computer.

2. Ran out of bug spray.

DAVE: "And the number one reason DOOM's release was delayed..."

1. They want the game's release to be just in time for Christmas shopping.
----------

[12-3]: DOOM R.E.M.
===================
David Reeve Sward suggested that I add a section in the FAQ
for people who have been dreaming about DOOM while sleeping. I told him
it was crazy until three people posted messages about having "DOOM Dreams."
Here they are, pixelated and all!

[12-3-1]: Pixelated Demons
--------------------------
This dreams was posted by David Reeve Sward on Usenet in the group
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action on Tuesday, November 2, 1993.

----------
A few days ago I awoke in the middle of a dream about DOOM...! I was
firing the shotgun at a pixelated (yes, my dream was pixelated) demon
when my alarm clock went off (well, it turned the radio on :). Haven't
seen any alpha or beta version, only the screen shots. Time to schedule
an appointment with a local shrink...

I can't imagine what shape I'll be in once the game is actually released :).
----------

[12-3-2]: The Mythical Beta Releases
------------------------------------
This dreams was posted by Christopher Johnson on Usenet in the group
comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action on Tuesday, November 2, 1993.

----------
Strange enough, I had a dream about DOOM last evening, too. I dreamt that I
had found the mythical beta release version lying around on a FTP site,
downloaded it, and actually got to play it before anyone else. Now, I know
I could just do this anyways, but I have too many morals.
What are you doing to us, Jay, now we're DREAMING about getting
DOOM... SIGH..
---------

[12-3-3]: You Don't Take Mastercard?!
-------------------------------------
This dreams was posted from szw...@hamlet.ucdavis.edu on Usenet
in the group comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action on Tuesday, November 2, 1993.

----------
While you all were dreaming, I was having some serious nightmares.
DOOM was released early and I went down to buy it ASAP. When I opened my
wallet, it was empty. And they wouldn't accept credit or personal checks...
I spent the rest of the night trying to scrounge up the cash to buy it.
It was not a pretty sight!
----------

----------------------
CHAPTER 13: Conclusion
----------------------

Well, there's v2.5 of the "Official" DOOM FAQ by Hank Leukart.
Hopefully, this version of the FAQ should have been more informative than
the first version, since id got involved, and started helping out. Keep
up the good work, id! The FAQ will become MUCH more complicated after
the game is released. There will be more chapters, and they will
have many more sub chapters. If you know things that I don't feel free
to suggest them via E-mail to "ap...@cleveland.freenet.edu".
SUPPORT YOUR SHAREWARE COMPANIES! REGISTER YOUR SHAREWARE!

[13-1]: John Says...
====================
I just thought I'd throw this in to get everyone EVEN MORE excited
about DOOM!
John Romero's latest words on DOOM are as follows:

"DOOM's [screen] refresh [rate] has been getting faster and
faster. This game definitely COOKS and looks totally AWESOME.
Wolfenstein 3-D now looks like a cartoon."

----------------------------
CHAPTER 14: Revision History
----------------------------

[14-1]: Pre-Game-Release FAQs
=============================

v1.0: First release of the DOOM FAQ. (October 25, 1993)

v1.0a: When ASCII uploading v1.0, the spacing malfunctioned. This is
the same version as 1.0, except with fixed spacing. (October 25, 1993)

v2.0: First major revision of the "Official" DOOM FAQ. Id gets involved,
giving new information. The FAQ is rearranged. The FAQ is renamed
from "The DOOM FAQ" to the "The 'Official' DOOM FAQ." (November 1,
1993)

v2.5: A standard revision of the "Official" DOOM FAQ. More information
comes in on what DOOM will and won't support. More DOOM iNsAnItY is
added. Information on related DOOM software is added. Information on
DOOM's music and multi-playing is added. Sorry! The "Official"
DOOM FAQ is no longer 666 lines. :) (November 13, 1993)

[14-2]: Post-Game-Release FAQs

To be added soon. (I hope!)