Presentations for parents on Internet safety

1 view

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Feb 16, 2010, 9:07:13 PM2/16/10
From: Nancy Willard <nwil...@csriu.org>

Hi all,

I was just asked by the director of a parent council for the names of experts
in her region who could present on the issue of Internet safety for their
school's parents. I wanted to share with you what I wrote to her:

> This is going to sound a bit radical, but I will tell you that the experts
> you need to present on these issues are already present in your school. The
> savvy students, whose parents have raised them to make good choices, are
> making good choices online. They understand the issues, they know how to keep
> themselves safe, and they know what kinds of parenting approaches help and
> don't. They are the ones who can do the best job presenting to parents on
> these issues. Further, older students are the best ones to present to younger
> students.
>
> So I would strongly encourage you to get a team of students together to plan
> and present this seminar. Your school's librarian is likely the best person
> to assist with this. If you want to give him or her my email address I would
> be happy to provide guidance from a distance. The materials I have provided
> online should help the students frame their presentation and give them some
> ideas on what to address. I also have some more comprehensive materials for
> parents under development I would be willing to share.
>
> If you trust me on this, you and the other parents will end up being blown
> away by how well your young people actually understand these issues.
I do have some parenting materials under development. I was planning on some
shorter narrated slides presentations for this. But I may reconsider even
trying to do this. I think that what perhaps would be far better is to provide
guidance for students at the high school and maybe middle school level - so
they can be empowered to present on these issues to parents. Thoughts?

Nancy

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org
nwil...@csriu.org

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Feb 18, 2010, 7:15:23 AM2/18/10
From: Joe Frost <Joe....@phoenixchristian.org>

My thoughts are always the same, stop the presentations and start
actually teaching on the subjects in question.

Enough of the lecture & video, one schoolroom approach to education, use
a real pedagogical approach.

I'm constantly amazed that we continue to think this is an effective
approach.

If we wouldn't teach science without the lab or literature without the
novel, then why don't we actually use the internet to teach Internet
Safety - safely online!

Regards,
*******

Joe Frost, MS CIS
Director of Technology & Operations
Department Chair Technology
http://www.phoenixchristian.org

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Feb 18, 2010, 7:15:54 AM2/18/10
From: Keith Schroeder <keit...@hssd.k12.wi.us>

I think this is a great idea! It's something that I used to do. . . utilize
high school students to present to middle school students. . . with a new
twist. I think having the students do the presentation makes sense. Thanks
for sharing this idea!

Keith

Keith Schroeder
920-662-7157

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Feb 20, 2010, 1:11:56 PM2/20/10
From: Nancy Willard <nwil...@csriu.org>

I think I will add a new line to my signature - see below. Realize there is a
new law requiring schools to teach about social networking safety.

Nancy
--

Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Trying to teach students about social networking safety without Web 2.0 in
schools ~ is like trying to teach a child how to swim without a swimming pool!

> From: Joe Frost <Joe....@phoenixchristian.org>
>
> My thoughts are always the same, stop the presentations and start
> actually teaching on the subjects in question.
>
> Enough of the lecture & video, one schoolroom approach to education, use
> a real pedagogical approach.
>
> I'm constantly amazed that we continue to think this is an effective
> approach.
>
> If we wouldn't teach science without the lab or literature without the
> novel, then why don't we actually use the internet to teach Internet
> Safety - safely online!

---