Technologies In The Classroom

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 23, 2010, 5:01:01 PM11/23/10
From: "Bill Dotson" <w.do...@verizon.net>

Good morning,

I teach a class for pre-service educators in educational technology and give
them hands-on opportunities to experience several of the best applications
to use in the classroom. I've chosen about ten projects for them but need
to update my offerings and wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH folks
on what teachers should know how to use for technology integration. Please
list your top four or five. Thank you.

Bill Dotson
Be blessed - <http://roadrevelations.org/> Revelations From The Road

---
Edtech Archives, posting guidelines and other information are at:
http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~edweb
Please include your name, email address, and school or professional
affiliation in each posting.
SIGNOFF EDTECH

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 7:37:02 AM11/24/10
From: Carla Beard <ca...@webenglishteacher.com>

I'd recommend that they understand how to use Google's Advanced Search
feature, including the Wonder Wheel. Many teachers don't know much about
good searches at all.

Carla Beard
Web English Teacher
www.webenglishteacher.com

> From: "Bill Dotson"
> Good morning,
> I teach a class for pre-service educators
> in educational technology and givethem hands-on opportunities to
> experience several of the best applicationsto use in the classroom. I've
> chosen about ten projects for them but needto update my offerings and
> wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH folks on what teachers should
> know how to use for technology integration. Pleaselist your top four or
> five.
> Thank you.
> Bill Dotson

> Be blessed - Revelations From The Road

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 7:37:12 AM11/24/10
From: "Marguerite Veres" <margueri...@wright.edu>

I am in charge of the undergraduate course in Educational Technology. We
are still on quarters, so are limited to time but try to have relevant
projects for them.
- Graphic Organizers (Create one with Hyperlinks to reliable Internet
resources on an educational topic.)

- Interactive Whiteboard Lesson on an educational topic
- Quiz for the Response systems on an educational topic
- Web Site on an educational topic usingWeebly, Google Sites or another
application of their choice.
- Podcast on the same topic
- Digital Story introducing themselves to their future students or
employers.
- Evaluating web sites
- Internet Safety
- Cyberbullying

Can't wait to see what others suggest.
Maggie (:

Maggie Veres
Senior Lecturer
Educational Technology
Wright State University
451 Allyn Hall
937-775-3277
http://www.wright.edu/~marguerite.veres

> From: "Bill Dotson" <w.do...@verizon.net>
>
> Good morning,
>
> I teach a class for pre-service educators in educational
> technology and give
> them hands-on opportunities to experience several of the best
> applicationsto use in the classroom. I've chosen about ten
> projects for them but need
> to update my offerings and wanted to get the opinions of fellow
> EDTECH folks
> on what teachers should know how to use for technology
> integration. Please
> list your top four or five. Thank you.
>
> Bill Dotson

> Be blessed - <http://roadrevelations.org/> Revelations

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 7:41:11 AM11/24/10
From: "Rose Strubinger" <rstru...@gmail.com>

Hello-

My favorites are:

Wordle
Kerpoof
Delicious
Glogster

I'm looking forward to seeing that others have to say!

Rose

--
Rose Strubinger
Keyboarding/Computer Applications Teacher

"My day is complete, I heard a child laugh today." ~ Richard Dean Weiss

"Education is Freedom" - Oprah Winfrey

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 8:26:33 AM11/24/10
From: "Talbut, Mary H" <mhta...@semo.edu>

I too teach pre-service educators and sometimes it isn't about the
program/project but how you use them. For example, PowerPoint, which most
students know, but don't know about the templates or how to make good
presentations and notes handouts so it isn't "Death by PowerPoint."

That being said, to answer your question, Google Docs and Spreadsheets,
Digital Storytelling, Webpage Creation and Web 2.0 tools (Wikis, Quizlet,
etc.) are important to my students.

Mary Harriet Talbut
Middle and Secondary Education
Southeast Missouri State University

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 4:47:15 PM11/24/10
From: "Peshette, Alix" <apes...@placercoe.k12.ca.us>

Hi Bob,

Here's my top choices...

iGoogle Home Page or Google Reader
Delicious
Edublogs
RSS
Web-based digital storytelling sites: Animoto, VoiceThread, Google
Presentations, SlideShare, etc.
Social networks like Ning

-Alix

Alix E. Peshette
Coordinator - Digital Learning
and Instructional Technology
Placer County Office of Education
360 Nevada St. Auburn, CA. 95603 USA
530-889-5942 Digital Learning
530-745-1495 Instructional Technology
Blackboard 9.1 System Administrator
www.alixpeshette.edublogs.org <http://alixpeshette.edublogs.org/>
www.twitter.com/AlixPeshette <http://twitter.com/AlixPeshette>
www.delicious.com/artfully
<https://mail.placercoe.k12.ca.us/exchange/www.delicious.com/artfully>
www.linkedin.com/in/alixpeshette <http://www.linkedin.com/in/alixpeshette/>
Google Certified Teacher

"Technology - opening minds with a new set of keys"

> From: "Bill Dotson"
> Good morning,
> I teach a class for pre-service educators
> in educational technology and givethem hands-on opportunities to
> experience several of the best applicationsto use in the classroom. I've
> chosen about ten projects for them but needto update my offerings and
> wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH folks on what teachers should
> know how to use for technology integration. Pleaselist your top four or
> five.
> Thank you.
> Bill Dotson

> Be blessed - Revelations From The Road

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 11:27:08 PM11/24/10
From: "John Thompson" <jthom...@verizon.net>

People will give you suggestions about all sorts of whiz bang software and
Internet sites. But the one key thing that you need to teach your
pre-service education students is not the what but the how.How do teachers
actually use/integrate all those great applications into their actual
teaching day so those apps and ed tech, in general, are not viewed/used as
"add-ons" or "extras" you do after you finish teaching the "real" way.
Teachers have to be taught the ins/outs of using technology as a teaching
tool. It's not good enough just to expose them to what they can use.
Pre-service (and all) teachers need training in how to incorporate tech
into their teaching in the same way they use chalk/whiteboards.

John

John T. Thompson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Educational Technology Program
Computer Information Systems Dept.
Chase 208, Buffalo State College
1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222
(716) 878-3531 office - (716) 860-0341 cellphone

<mailto:thom...@buffalostate.edu> thom...@buffalostate.edu
Skype: john.thompson62
Twitter: jtt

"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed
until it is faced."
~ James Baldwin

P Please consider the environment before you print this e-mail.

> From: "Bill Dotson" <w.do...@verizon.net>
>

> Good morning,
>

> I teach a class for pre-service educators in educational technology and
> give
> them hands-on opportunities to experience several of the best applications
> to use in the classroom. I've chosen about ten projects for them but need
> to update my offerings and wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH
> folks
> on what teachers should know how to use for technology integration.
> Please
> list your top four or five. Thank you.

> Bill Dotson
>
> Be blessed - < <http://roadrevelations.org/> http://roadrevelations.org/>

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 11:27:12 PM11/24/10
From: "Mike Giarraputo" <mj...@optonline.net>

Hello all,

I am responding to the top 5 technologies post. I teach 8th grade math, as
an educator I use these the most.

- SMART Notebook and interactive whiteboard (my lessons are all multi-media
and interactive, which really engages the students)
- Wikispaces (I use it as a common place for my students to go for
directions for computer projects and other assignments)
- Google Docs (great for collaborative writing assignments)
- PowerPoint Presentations (for multi-media presentations)
- Microsoft Photostory or Photopeach.com (my kids loved this one, and it's
really easy to use)

Hope this helps.

Michael Giarraputo
Roosevelt Middle School, NY

> From: "Bill Dotson" <w.do...@verizon.net>
>
> Good morning,
>
> I teach a class for pre-service educators in educational technology and
> give
> them hands-on opportunities to experience several of the best applications
> to use in the classroom. I've chosen about ten projects for them but need
> to update my offerings and wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH
> folks
> on what teachers should know how to use for technology integration.
> Please
> list your top four or five. Thank you.
>
> Bill Dotson

> Be blessed - <http://roadrevelations.org/> Revelations From The Road

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 24, 2010, 11:29:58 PM11/24/10
From: Jennifer Wagner <projec...@gmail.com>

It truly depends on what grade level you are working with --

but for jr high -- high school
they need delicious or diigo
Citation Machine
and how to use Advance Google Search

for younger students
wordle
citation machine
pics4learning
voice thread

and check out livebinder as well. http://livebinders.com/
and furly http://fur.ly/

Jennifer

> > Good morning,
> > I teach a class for pre-service educators
> > in educational technology and givethem hands-on opportunities to
> > experience several of the best applicationsto use in the classroom. I've
> > chosen about ten projects for them but needto update my offerings and
> > wanted to get the opinions of fellow EDTECH folks on what teachers should
> > know how to use for technology integration. Pleaselist your top four or
> > five.
> > Thank you.
> > Bill Dotson

> > Be blessed - Revelations From The Road

--
~~~~~~~~~
Jennifer Wagner

EDTECH Editor-Jones

Nov 25, 2010, 10:43:30 PM11/25/10
From: "Chris Moore" <chris...@yahoo.com>

I think some of the wonderful tools for teachers to integrate technology
include the following:

http://edu.glogster.com/: You can see some samples on my site:
https://sites.google.com/site/techintegrationsite/content/web-2-0/glogster
http://animoto.com/education: samples on my site:
https://sites.google.com/site/techintegrationsite/content/web-2-0/animoto
http://voicethread.com/: more examples:
https://sites.google.com/site/techintegrationsite/content/web-2-0/voice-thread
Google Tools: Endless opportunities for collaboration
http://pixlr.com/ for image editing that can be used for visual literacy
projects. It is a great tool if you need to manipulate images and don't
want to spend lots of money on an image editor.

Chris Clementi
Middle School Computer Teacher
Google Certified Teacher
http://www.kidsnetsoft.com/html/home2.html