Correction and LCC

Kathleen Swanholt

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

Correction:
Thank you to Linda Harris who said,

Thanks to those DL'ers who e-mailed me their URL's, especially Dianne Day
and Kathleen Swanholt; thanks also to those who preceded me with their
lists, especially Kate Derie (Cluelass), Jiro Kimura (Gumshoe Site) and
Kathleen again (Mysterious Strands)

However, Mysterious Strands is not me but the talented Cindy Silberblatt,
Newsletter Editor for the Chesapeake Branch of Sisters in Crime.

LCC

Left Coast Crime was my first Mystery Conference. I thought starting at one
of the smaller conferences was a good idea. Boy, was I right; if I had
started at Bouchercon I would have had to be hospitalized. I don't think I
have ever laughed so much for so long (3 days is a long time to spend
laughing). The panels were interesting (although I saw too few of them),
the gathered talent enormous, and the food amazing. In a previous lifetime I
attended quite a few conferences and have seldom seen one this well
organized. It is hard to believe that it is all volunteer talent. Kudos to
all involved.

I went as a fan, expecting to be awestruck by the wonderful and talented
authors. I didn't expect Mysterious Women subscribers to seek ME out - what
an experience!

Terrific memory: a MW subscriber from a tiny town in Montana whose favorite
author is Abigail Padgett. After the "What's the Role Model that Mysteries
Provide for Women" panel, I asked Alex Matthews to introduce me to her
fellow panelist Padgett to whom I then introduced said subscriber. Padgett
said "Walk with me" and an ecstatic subscriber and a talented and kind
author went off to the signing room.

Between us, Ken and I interviewed five authors: Meg Chittenden (I don't
think she slept for the entire three days), Alex Matthews, J. A. Jance,
Sharan Newman, and Nancy Atherton. And I would cheerfully give any one of
them houseroom (for a limited period of time, of course). I don't know if
authors trot out a public persona that is warm, funny, and kind or if they
are genuinely that way all the time. But I don't care, I'll settle for the
warm, funny, kind part any day.

Authors I was sorry to miss: Leslie O'Kane and Maxine O'Callahan who were
there, and Terris McMahan Grimes, Lynne Murray, and Jean Taylor who couldn't
make it.

People I was thrilled to meet after being e-quainted forever: JD from
Sleuth of Baker Street in Canada who recommended Canadian authors to me and
shipped books all over Canada and the US last year when we were traveling.
And Marissa from Femme Fatales who is delightful and has the best "stuff."
I bought one of her jewelry pins with various instruments of destruction
dangling here and there. A great conversation piece.

The DorothyL gathering was awesome. I was astonished at how many people
were there from the list. And I am sure it is no surprise to anyone to find
out that all the guys are babes and all the women gorgeous. Again a room
full of warmth and humor and talent. Ken and I have one of those modern
marriages where we try to share the workload, so we took turns putting a
foot in a mouth or making fools of ourselves; but, I think we surpassed all
previous records at the DL gathering! And it was wonderful meeting
Elizabeth Quinn, Dana Stabenow, and Sue Henry, who is a delight!

Jaki Girdner and famous computer peripheral spouse, Greg, are always a treat
and, after wandering the streets of Seattle fruitlessly looking for an
available table, we ended up having a terrific dinner at a lovely French
restaurant and telling woo woo stories and experiences.

Lora Roberts and Jonnie Jacobs are wonderful company, knowledgeable, funny
and very helpful.

And Penny Warner is truly charming (ok, ok, and warm and funny!); she is
also a natural born organizer who organized me right onto a panel at
Bouchercon. I can't wait for her book to come out!

A terrific group of knowledgeable people: Bill and Toby Gottfried, Betsy
Corwin, Teresa Loftin, and Kate Derie.

We had a great time
Kathleen

Kathleen Swanholt <hel...@hooked.net>