The Doctor, The Murder, The Mystery

J Wendel

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96

Someone mentioned The Doctor, The Murder, The Mystery,
by Barbara D'Amato here on DL and I wish I could
remember who it was so I could thank them. While out last
minute shopping, I passed by the true crime section on my way
to the computer books to meet the spousal unit (love that
phrase). I happened to see this paperback and decided to
go on and get it. It shows how the list definitely has affected
my buying habits. I don't read much true crime because
a lot of it tends toward the lurid and it does disturb
me that real people are involved. But The Doctor, The Murder,
The Mystery is an excellent book that transcends any label.
It is the fascinating story of how a prominent minority doctor
was convicted of his wife's murder in l968, even though
the evidence clearly demonstrated that he could not be guilty.
Barbara D'Amato tells how the social and political climate
of the sixties influenced this case and Dr. Branion's
ultimate fate. It is really a more interesting story than
the more famous Sam Shepard case, and Dr. Branion actually
was a fugitive. Ms. D'Amato's work and research helped to get
justice for Dr. Branion after so many years. I'm tempted to quote
passages but there are so many good ones, I can't choose. Wouldn't
you know, I'd read a book that deserves to be on my favorites of
96 list after I'd already posted them?

Bad news for the anti-emoticon folks, multimedia email is on the
way. Just wait until little smiley faced figures can pop up and
dance all around to show their joy. <BVG - pre-animated>

Jennifer Wendel

Forget love, I'd rather fall in chocolate. (stolen from food list)