I: Press Release - COSE 1

Undetermined origin c/o Postmaster

Jun 11, 1993, 11:13:01 PM6/11/93
DIGITAL EQUIPMENT CORPORATION ANNOUNCES

SUPPORT FOR THE COMMON OPEN SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT PROCESS

-- Will Help Accelerate Development of UNIX Standards --

SAN JOSE, CA -- June 8, 1993 -- Digital Equipment Corporation today
announced its endorsement of the common open software environment
process, as defined in the white paper released today by Hewlett-
Packard Company, IBM, Santa Cruz Operation, Sun Microsystems,
Univel, and UNIX Systems Laboratories. The white paper will be
distributed through The UniForum Association. In addition, Digital
indicated that it would help to move the common open software
environment process forward by actively participating in many of the
future working groups that will evolve as part of the process, and
by making available some of its industry leading technologies and
expertise.
"Digital sees the advent of the documented common open software
environment process as a clear signal that UNIX environments are
becoming unified", said William D. Strecker, Vice President of
Engineering. "Our strategy has always been to support the widest
breadth of industry standards, and to help define and implement
standards in areas where we have expertise.
"Digital's UNIX product offerings already include many of the
technologies being considered within the common open software
environment process, and we believe our active participation in and
support of this process will help ensure that our customers' needs
for a truly unified UNIX environment will continue to be met."
In addition, Digital announced its participation in a new
industry working group, which includes Hewlett-Packard Company, Sun
Microsystems, IBM, the Open Software Foundation, and others. This
group is working to define a "Federated Naming" capability that
would improve interoperability across name services provided by
technologies such as the DCE and ONC+. This activity is part of a
plan to prepare a "Fast Track" proposal, and sample implementation,
under the initiation and sponsorship of the X/Open Distributed
Computing Program.
"The establishment of this effort to develop an accelerated
X/Open proposal, with the close collaboration among Digital, HP,
and the other participants, exemplifies the principles and spirit of
cooperation described in the common open software environment white
paper issued today," said Gary B. Eichhorn, General Manager,
Workstations Systems Group, Hewlett-Packard Company.
"Indications of Digital's participation in the common open
software environment process include our active role at Object
Management Group with the Common Object Request Broker Architecture
(CORBA) specification, and in the X Consortium, where we are active
in the definition of PEXlib and other graphics standards", said John
O'Keefe, Digital's Vice President of UNIX Systems Marketing.
Digital currently sells its Application Control Architecture
Services (ACAS) software, which is consistent with the common open
software environment definition for a CORBA-compliant object
management environment, and is available on Digital's platforms, and
also on HP, Sun, IBM, and others.
"Digital's active participation in the common open software
environment process will greatly enhance the UNIX community's
ability to accelerate the standardization activity," according
to Bill Filip, IBM Vice President and President of Advanced
Workstations and Systems.
"Digital has long been a leader in standards development,
and we welcome their active participation in the process," said
Ed Zander, SunSoft President.
Roel Pieper, President of USL said, "We have worked with
Digital in other standards efforts for many years, and recognize
the value that they will bring to the common open software
environment process."
Digital today also announced its support for and participation
in the X/Open Desktop Working Group, announced this week by X/Open.
This team will work with the developers of the Common Desktop
Environment (CDE) technology, one of the first efforts undertaken
within the common open software environment process, to assess and
advise on the specifications in conjunction with their submission to
X/Open's processes.
Digital Equipment Corporation, headquartered in Maynard,
Massachusetts, is the leading worldwide supplier of networked
computer systems, software, and services. The company pioneered
and leads the industry in interactive, distributed and multivendor
computing. Digital and its business partners deliver the power to
use the best integrated solutions - from desktop to datacenter -
in open information environments.
####

Editorial Contacts:

Through Thursday, June 10: After Thursday, June 10

Dave Bouffard Robert Price
(415) 617-3500 (508) 493-4297

Robert Price Dave Bouffard
(415) 617-3500 (415) 617-3500

Note to Editors: UNIX, and USL are registered trademarks of UNIX
System Laboratories, Inc.

X/Open is a trademark of X/Open Company, Ltd.

IBM is a registered trademark of International
Business Machines Corporation.

Hewlett-Packard and HP are registered trademarks
of Hewlett-Packard Company.

Sun is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems,
Inc.

OSF and DCE are registered trademarks of the Open
Software Foundation, Inc.

SCO is a trademark of the Santa Cruz Operations,
Inc.

CORP/93/185