Copyright Clearance Center

1 view

Susie Quartey

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

We are considering offering a new service in our library. This
service would allow instructors to submit requests for copyright
approval to the Reserve Library. The Reserve Library would then
contact the Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) for reserve permission.

Presently our bookstore works with the CCC on packet clearance only
and instructors are left on their own to solicit permission. (We
require a photocopy of permission received, which is kept on file.)
Our desire in offering this service is to allow more instructors the
opportunity to obtain the permission, rather than not utilize vital
information in a classroom setting.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone presently offer a similar service? If so, what are
the benefits/drawbacks?

2) Has anyone worked with the CCC in this capacity and what was your
experience with them?

3) For those who have either offered the service or have worked with
the CCC, what course of action would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your time responding.

Susie Quartey
CPCR Manager
3110 HBLL Forget love--I'd rather fall into chocolate!
Provo, UT 84604
(801) 378-7659

Michale M. Murphy

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Reply to message from S...@HBLL1.BYU.EDU of Mon, 15 Jul

I am replying to the whole list in the hope of continuing the
discussion on reserve and copyright policies.

>We are considering offering a new service in our library. This
>service would allow instructors to submit requests for copyright

>approval...

>My questions are:
>
>1) Does anyone presently offer a similar service? If so, what are
> the benefits/drawbacks?

We have now two semesters' experience with the transaction reporting
service of the CCC. Our faculty see little benefit to them since we previously
had no restrictions on what we would put on reserve. We also pass the
charges on to the department of the requestor, adding insult to injury. For
ourselves, we have taken on a lot more paperwork, and seen a huge drop in
circulation statistics as only a few teachers bother to fill out the
paperwork we now need. And our bound journals are beginning to show the
wear. As for benefits -- well, we are not violating the law.
If you already require your faculty to bring permission and will now
take that burden away from them, though, you may well have a different
experience.

>2) Has anyone worked with the CCC in this capacity and what was your
> experience with them?

Two comments on CCC: We have had real problems with their online
transaction reporting service, but other means of reporting resulted in
prompt and accurate invoices. Second, somewhere between a quarter and half
of the titles requested are not listed with CCC. Our policy is then to go
back to the faculty member who has to explore other means of getting
premission. This sometimes can drag on a whole semester, but usually the
faculty member just gives up on unlisted titles.

>3) For those who have either offered the service or have worked with
> the CCC, what course of action would you recommend?

We plan to continue the service, and have been told informally that a
number of faculty, especially in nursing, our largest department, will be
going through the process of putting articles on reserve in the fall,
largely as a result of their students complaints at having to locate the
volumes to copy themselves.

>Thanks in advance for your time responding.

I would like to add a couple more questions:
1. We require copyright payment/permission from the first semester an
article is on reserve, if it is requested from the beginning of the
semester. Is anyone else this strict in their interpretation?

2. There is a strong feeling here that anything from ILL (ie that we do not
own the original of) may not be put on reserve even with copyright fees paid.
Can anyone make a case for or against this interpretation?

--
Michale Murphy mm...@po.cwru.edu
Access Services Librarian 216-646-8186