BIRDS OF A FEATHER

1 view

LYLE B SMYTHERS

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
Excuse me if I'm densely missing something obvious or obviously
pointing out something dense (what?), but it seems to me that the
invitation to discuss the historical accuracies of a FILM about a
particular Native American, regardless of how subtly or
polemically it is phrased, is perfectly appropriate for the list.
Even if he has not responded to others in ways they felt
appropriate or desirable, he brought it up in the right place
because he's talking about a movie. Everything that has followed
has been fallout, justifiable or not.

Hey, who here on the list likes cats?

Lyle, joining Rolando in running for cover

Cheryl Ford

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
I DO!!! I have three and they are absolutely wonderful!

Cheryl

OCC: I saw the wonderful Wallace & Gromit: A Close Shave last
night. Very Impressive! The short stories leading up to it involved
a rather large claymation cat talking about Needing His Space. It
was really cool, but I guess you had to be there.

Kristen Mahan-Moutaw

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?
>
> Lyle, joining Rolando in running for cover

I like cats...my cat Oscar has turned into a real find. The only dog alive
that's been reincarnated as a cat. He loves to be pet and will butt your
hand up onto his head in order for you to give him the petting he feels he
deserves. He greets me in the morning by licking my hand (or sticking his
cold nose against mine or if I've overslept and he's hungry, sticking his
butt in my face), he greets me in the evening when I get home and meows.
He's psycho kitty (Which I sing to him to the tune of that Talking Heads
song, "Psycho kitty, que'st que ce, ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba (or meow,
meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow).

Which reminds me. What's that movie with the guy living in the beach house
(Tony Curtis?) whose best friend (and roommate?) is reincarnated as a woman
(Doris Day?) and then she dies and comes back as a dog? It's not SWITCHED
with Ellen Barkin (which I thought was cute) but WHAT'S UP CHARLIE or
GOODBYE CHARLIE or something like that. Great movie.

-Kristen

Amy Terlaga

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96

> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?

Did somebody say *cats*?

You wanna hear interesting cocktail hour conversation come to a screeching halt?

Just ask me about my Kitty. I'll bore you to tears with stories about this
obnoxious feline.

For instance:

This cat will eat anything. But his favorites are BBQ potato chips and key
lime pie yogurt.

Ooh, and how about this one (stop me if you've heard it already). . .

His best trick to date. He actually uses camouflage (sp?) when he wants to
hide, right before the attack
on a passing leg. He'll take a cardboard box lid and fit his entire
black-and-white spotted body (with some of his butt protruding, usually)
underneath it. He even moves this thing from room to room for repeated attacks.

"The Mighty Hunter." ;-) (Hello? Anybody still with me here?)

--amy
Amy Terlaga Libraries Sharing Computerized Services
Bibliomation, Inc
Stratford, CT
ater...@biblio.org

Amy Terlaga

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?

Did somebody say *cats*?

I've been known to bring interesting cocktail hour conversations to a
screeching halt with stories of my obnoxious feline.

So stop me if you've heard this one . . .

Kitty's best trick to date: He actually uses camouflage to hide under while
waiting for a passing leg to attack. We've got a cardboard box lid upstairs
that he'll squeeze his black and white spotted body under (with his black and
white spotted butt protruding, usually) and there he'll wait for the eventual
"kill". He's been known to move his camouflage from room to room for repeated
attacks.

"The Mighty Hunter." ;-)

--amy

Carra

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96

>> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?
>>

>Did somebody say *cats*?
>
>You wanna hear interesting cocktail hour conversation come to a screeching
>halt?
>
>Just ask me about my Kitty. I'll bore you to tears with stories about this
>obnoxious feline.
>
>For instance:
>
>This cat will eat anything. But his favorites are BBQ potato chips and key
>lime pie yogurt.
>
>Ooh, and how about this one (stop me if you've heard it already). . .
>
>His best trick to date. He actually uses camouflage (sp?) when he wants to
>hide, right before the attack
>on a passing leg. He'll take a cardboard box lid and fit his entire
>black-and-white spotted body (with some of his butt protruding, usually)
>underneath it. He even moves this thing from room to room for repeated
>attacks.
>

>"The Mighty Hunter." ;-) (Hello? Anybody still with me here?)
>
>--amy

Hi Amy - yes I'm still with you! Being a proud cat owned myself, I laughed
out loud at your message. Camouflage, LOL!! :)
My little monster is called Aramis, he will also eat anything but what he
loves the most is PIZZA, hence "The Pizza Man". His favourite game right
now is his forthcoming Academy Award winning role as The Night Watchman,
waking me and everyone else in an area of about 10 kilometers at 1, then 2,
then 3 etc... o'clock at night with his screaming: "EVERYTHING IS UNDER
CONTROL, NO NEED TO WORRY, YOUR NIGHT WATCHMAN IS HERE TO PROTECT YOU!"
This is repeated several times, just to make sure everyone gets the
message, until his heartless "mom" yells back calling him ugly names, and
then he will be silent for another hour... :)
Haha, once a cat owned get started there's no end to the stories, right?

Carra

* When, when I am a man *
* I will be an austronat *
* And find Peter Pan, *
* Second Star on the right *
* Straight on 'til morning *
* (Kate Bush, In Search of Peter Pan) *

Virgulino

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Lyle writes:

"Hey, who here on the list likes cats?"

Hehehe, that's more like it!

:)

Virgulino

Cheryl Ford

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
-amy says:

>This cat will eat anything. But his favorites are BBQ potato chips and key
>lime pie yogurt.

One of my cats likes potato chips and goldfish crackers. He will come
running if he even thinks he hears someone crunching on something.

Another one likes to eat lizards, but we won't get into that.......

The third one likes to hide under a rug half his size and pretend
that you can't see him.

OCC: I still want to know how they shot the last scene in BREAKFAST
AT TIFFANY'S. That cat must have been furious.

BONNIE LEE HOWARD

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
=On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, too.man...@too.much.of.the.time wrote:

> >> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?
> >>

> >Did somebody say *cats*?

Boy oh boy, I bet Lyle's sorry he started this! :-)

=Far be it from me to criticize anyone for anything. But I'm getting
=mega-pissedamundo about all these postings about cats. I mean, you know!
=The name of this list is *cinema*-l. We shouldn't be writing about cats.
=We should get back to the issues relevant to this list. Like dogs.

Cats. Dogs. Pshaw. I dig my iguana. He has a marvelous personality, and those
*eyes*. Sigh. I could just watch him all day.

But then, I'm the gal who thinks baseball moves a tad too darn FAST.

--Bonnie

Tabatha L. Smith

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
Well, I have to add my two cents about my brat (cat).
I really think he wants to be a human. He always wants to do what I am
doing. He only drinks out of cups, he will drink anything but coffee, I
caught him drinking vodka one day and it almost gave me a heartattack. He
eats with his paws and loves popcorn well any junk food. Anyone who has ever
met him says they are waiting for him to talk. If it is possible for a cat
to have expressions, he does. When I am just "hanging out" with my friends
at home he always has to do it with us. I named him after "Green Acres" it
seems I sould have named him Arnold instead of Oliver Wendell Douglas, but he
is gray and white, so there ya go.
After living with him for five years I have come to doubt my life long love
for cats, he drives me nuts!

-Tabatha
(Also named after a sitcom, what is it with my family?)

Steve Press

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, too.man...@too.much.of.the.time wrote:

> >> Hey, who here on the list likes cats?
> >>

> >Did somebody say *cats*?

Far be it from me to criticize anyone for anything. But I'm getting

mega-pissedamundo about all these postings about cats. I mean, you know!

The name of this list is *cinema*-l. We shouldn't be writing about cats.

We should get back to the issues relevant to this list. Like dogs.

Did I ever tell you about the time my dog, Java (aka Java the Wonder Dog,
aka Shithead), (and now, thankfully, in the fulltime custody of my
ex-wife), jumped out of a second story window? For real. He saw (or
hallucinated) a rabbit, pushed out the screen, landed feet first on the
wooden deck, yelped, and took off like a shot into the underbrush past the
end of the yard.

The thing about dogs is that you can have a very deep, meaningful, and
reciprocal love-hate relationship with them. And in your heart you know
they love you more than you love them. Cats? All they do is make people
sneeze.

--Steve

Steve Press

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, BONNIE LEE HOWARD wrote:

> Cats. Dogs. Pshaw. I dig my iguana. He has a marvelous personality, and those
> *eyes*. Sigh. I could just watch him all day.

And if you watched it all night, would that be The Night of the Iguana?

> But then, I'm the gal who thinks baseball moves a tad too darn FAST.

Then you would have loved the guinea pig, Walnut (aka Lump of Clay, aka Is
it still alive?), that I got for my kids when they were young enough not
to know any better. It never went anywhere, did anything, or anything,
except stink up the basement. It was the boringest pet ever.

--Steve

Evelyn Duncan

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
In a message dated 96-06-27 21:03:37 EDT, Amy wrote:

> Kitty's best trick to date: He actually uses camouflage to hide under
while
> waiting for a passing leg to attack.

So does my cat, Brandy. He hides under a coat hanging on a chair
in the dining room.

But one thing he does drives me batty: I'll be tapping away on the
computer when I'll feel his paw on my back. I don't like having my
back touched when I don't expect it; in fact, I once almost slugged
a security guard at the library when he tapped me on my back because
he wanted to tell me that the library was closing.

Evelyn Duncan

chelsea corazon

Jun 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/29/96
Carra <jonc...@STUDENT.UMU.SE> wrote:
>Haha, once a cat owned get started there's no end to the stories, right?

Yeah, just ask T.S. Eliot...
~Chelsea~

Demetre Calimeris

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

I have a cat too. It is wonderful to have a little thing to take care and I am
very pissed with people who kill animals for nothing. The name of my cat is
Mike and he is black and white and very smart!
Nana