SBC: Oxford American magazine Southern music double issue (with CD).....

Chamberl...@epamail.epa.gov

Jul 2, 2001, 11:17:17 AM7/2/01
is due at newsstands in the next week or so. Get it before it's gone

http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/

http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/musicissue.html

John Chamberlin

maxdog

Jul 19, 2001, 11:38:25 PM7/19/01
It's there now. I just got my copy. At $8.50 a copy you can't beat it if
you like a wide variety of music. From BB King, Dolly Parton & Emmy Lou
Harris to more fringe artists like The Delta Rhythm Boys, Toots Hibbert,
and Jim White. There enough blues for the folks on this list, BB &
Mississippi Fred McDowell on the CD, articles about Robert Johnson and the
interestingly named "Are the Blues Alive in Mississippi?" It's going to
take me awhile to digest this issue.

I was pleased to see an article about Jim White who plays what he calls
"Hick-hop". I'm not sure that quite describes his music but the
"alternative country" title doesn't fit either. Interesting stuff. With
songs like "Handcuffed to a fence in Mississippi", "Wrong-eyed Jesus" and
"10 miles to go on a 9 mile road" it sure found a home in my collection.
--
maxdog

Jinx...@aol.com

Jul 20, 2001, 1:07:03 AM7/20/01
In a message dated 7/19/01 10:30:32 PM, max...@raven.unr2.net writes:

>It's there now. I just got my copy. At $8.50 a copy you can't beat it if
>you like a wide variety of music.

I have two photographs in it.

One is a 1966 shot of Canray Fontenot (Cajun music) at the Newport Folk
Festival and the other is a 1969 Fred McDowell at the Ann Arbor Blues
Festival.

Dick Waterman
Oxford, MS

babeedoll

Jul 23, 2001, 4:45:43 AM7/23/01
Just got my copy. Talk about bang for the buck. The #5 CD is great.
I know that all here will listen to the blues content and it is great.

But PLEASE don't skim over the Bob Dylan with Ralph Stanley and
another pleasant surprise was Billy Bob Thornton and Earl Scruggs
doing Ring of Fire, it's totally unique. I almost skipped over it
because I thought I'd heard "ring" done every way it could be
done...WRONG! Just when you think you've heard it all and have most
of it in your collection...it's so very nice to pick up jewells like
these! I'm just getting into the actual magazine and can see it's
going to be a great way to enjoy staying in out of the blistering
Mississippi heat and humidity for the afternoon!
I am not affiliated in any way with O-A, but you don't want to miss
this one.