Maxwell St. documentary

1 view

Walter Potter

Jan 13, 2007, 9:02:48 AM1/13/07
Posted for Cheryl Arena (chery...@tx.rr.com)

Hey Everybody,
I wanted to tell you all about this really good documentary about "the
rise and fall" of Maxwell St. in Chicago. In June of 1994, I was at the
Chicago Blues Fest...during which time there were people trying to save
the Maxwell St. Market from being torn down. A Chicago resident and
independent film maker by the name of Phil Ranstrom was there making a
documentary about the history of Maxwell street...from the music to the
cultural diversity to the dirty politcal dealings that went on
ultimately causing the demise of this wonderful historical place that
was torn down in Aug. of that same year.

While I was there I sat in with some West side Chicago guys on the
street...this was such a thrill for me to be able to say that I played
on Maxwell street! the very place where people like Little Walter, Muddy
Waters, Hound Dog Taylor played ...the list is endless. So not only did
I get to play but I was also caught on film and did a short interview. I
never heard anything about it again until a few weeks ago, when Phil
found me through my website and told me 12 years later that the film was
finally done. You can click on the link below to see the trailer on
YouTube and you can also go to the website to read more about it
http://www.maxwellstreetdocumentary.com

YouTube link at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZehD0bbSH20

Now if you like what you see and I think you will...below is a list of
film festivals that it has been submitted to....so if anyone has any
connections with any of them and can put in a word to help get it
accepted please do! I think this is a worthwhile film, and not just
because I'm in it (and I'm only in it for a few seconds), but more
because it is the only documentary (that I know of) about Maxwell
Street.Out of the list so far it was just accepted in the Chicago Film
Festival..the more festivals it gets on, the more chance Phil will have
at getting a distribution deal and I do think it deserves to be out
there being that it's a very good documentation of a very important part
of Blues history.
Thanks!
Cheryl Arena

Here's the list of upcoming 2007 Film Festivals entered:
1. Big Muddy Film Festival - Carbondale, IL - Feb. 23-Mar 4, 2007
2. South By Southwest International Film Festival - Austin, TX March
10-18, 2007
3. Black Maria Film and Video Festival - Jersey City, NJ - Feb. 2 - June
20, 2007
4. AFI Dallas International Film Festival - Dallas, TX - March 22-April
1, 2007
5. Vail Film Fest - Vail, CO - March 30-April 2
6. Chicago International Documentary Festival - Chicago, IL March
30-April 8,2007 (already accepted in Chicago)
7. Full-Frame Documentary Film Festival - Durham, NC - April 12-15, 2007
8. Atlanta Film Festival - April 19, 2007 to April 28, 2007
9. Tribeca International Film Festival - New York, NY - April 25-May 6, 2007
10. Athens International Film Festival - Athens, Ohio - April 27-May 3, 2007
11. Silver Lake Film Festival - Los Angeles, CA - May 3-12, 2007
12. Boston International Film Fest - June 6 - June 13, 2007
13. SilverDocs AFI/Discovery Channel DocumentaryFestival Silver
Springs,MD June 12-17, 07
14. Los Angeles Film Festival - LA, CA - June 21 - July 1, 2007
15. Cannes International Film Festival - May 11-22, 2007
16. Venice International Film Festival - Venice, Italy - Aug. 31-Sept.
10, 2007
17. Toronto International Film Festival - Ontario, Canada - Sept. 7-16, 2007
18. The Times BFI London Film Festival London, England/UK - Oct.18
-Nov.2,2007

NetSpace LISTSERV(R) software donated by L-Soft, Inc. http://www.lsoft.com