Processing

Tigershungry

Mar 23, 2010, 10:21:50 AM3/23/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
Am I breaking wiki/ google groups etiquette by posting this here? If
so slap my wrists and send me off in the other direction.

After a long time of drawing parallel lines and getting a bit
disheartened by working my way solo through a doorstop on processing I
wondered if anyone had requested workshops around processing as I
would be interested in pulling something together. Nottingham ran a
workshop the other week and (lead by Tommy Sweeney??) I'm trying to
find out what people thought of it and who the guy who ran it was.

I know there is an awful lot lined up over the coming months re:
workshops, but thought I would float this thought rather than not
posting it on the assumption that we're all too busy.

toodle pips.

Antonio Roberts

Mar 23, 2010, 10:40:16 AM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
I'd really like to do some Processing workshops!

Like you I've been trying to get through the Processing book but it's
just too much for me... When you get more details we can move ahead
with planning but until then I'd really be up for a get together with
peeps to try and tackle a bit of Processing

Ant

Andrew Thomas

Mar 23, 2010, 10:58:20 AM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm up for a fizzpop processing user group get together type of thing :-)

Best wishes,

Andrew.

On 23 March 2010 14:21, Tigershungry <marief...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Am I breaking wiki/ google groups etiquette by posting this here? If
> so slap my wrists and send me off in the other direction.

Tigershungry

Mar 23, 2010, 1:06:24 PM3/23/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
yeah, processing fizzpop rival fraction. Grand.

Sadly I'm not going to be at the next fizzpop. Are we talking about
having an 'aside' at an upcoming fizzpop or a secondary processing
meet up?

Will report back when I've heard how the other event went, but if
anyone knows of any other Processing wizzes we can get in.

On Mar 23, 2:58 pm, Andrew Thomas <andrewmarktho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm up for a fizzpop processing user group get together type of thing :-)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew.

Andrew Thomas

Mar 23, 2010, 2:04:46 PM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm up for aside or standalone, whichever works for everyone else. Preferably not too close to Easter though.

Best wishes,

Andrew.

Andrew Nixon

yeah, processing fizzpop rival fraction. Grand.

Sadly I'm not going to be at the next fizzpop. Are we talking about
having an 'aside' at an upcoming fizzpop or a secondary processing
meet up?

Will report back when I've heard how the other event went, but if
anyone knows of any other Processing wizzes we can get in.

On Mar 23, 2:58 pm, Andrew Thomas <andrewmarktho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm up for a fizzpop processing user group get together type of thing :-)

Antonio Roberts

Mar 23, 2010, 4:20:49 PM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
> Are we talking about
> having an 'aside' at an upcoming fizzpop or a secondary processing
> meet up?

Why not both! I always aim to do a bit of processing at fizzPOP hack
sessions but generally just get a bit distracted. Where/when could we
have this learning meetup if not at fizzPOP?

Thinking out loud here, but I've always liked the idea of a 48
learning sprint to pick up the basics of a programming language, but
of course that'd require having a space for that long! One can but
dream

Ant

genzaichi

Mar 23, 2010, 4:25:32 PM3/23/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
We must surely be getting close to the stage where the heating doesn't
need to be on at The Edge...
If you don't want to get started until after Easter, just use some of
the other Wednesday nights?

Antonio Roberts

Mar 23, 2010, 4:31:39 PM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
> We must surely be getting close to the stage where the heating doesn't
> need to be on at The Edge...

I predict after Easter will definitely be a lot warmer, so I think
then we could use t'other Wednesday nights

On a sorta similar note, is this when we should perhaps trial going
for weekly hack sessions?

Ant

charlie pinder

Mar 23, 2010, 5:24:32 PM3/23/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Ace! I've done quite a lot of processing so I'd be up for helping people out with the basics.

Only slight drawback is imminent childbirth, which I imagine might dent my ability to attend a workshop :). So depends on timing really, and how amenable to hacking the baby turns out to be ... In the meantime I'm more than happy to answer questions - if I have a sec I'll finish off my half-done post on using netbeans/eclipse with processing (makes life soooo much easier).

Tigershungry

Mar 24, 2010, 6:52:40 AM3/24/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
Just heard back from Nottingham (yes the whole city, like when the
Corinthians wrote back to Paul in the bible)

The guy who gave their workshop was Tommy Sweeny (have got his contact
details). Verdict was...

"He was good, though seemed like he wasn't used to teaching more than
the basics. he definitely knows what he's doing, just didn't have much
material prepped/doesn't tend to train beyond first steps. He had us
show how to do stuff like colour, lines, shapes, animation, 3D"

I'm up for using an in between Wednesday evening for this. April 21st?

Should we have an initial group meet before we think about getting
someone in for a workshop, or would people rather get someone in so
we're all on the same(ish) page before we start? Personal preference
would be for getting someone in as I've been struggling along without
direct focus for a while.

-Marie

On Mar 23, 9:24 pm, charlie pinder <charlie.pin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ace! I've done quite a lot of processing so I'd be up for helping people out
> with the basics.
>
> Only slight drawback is imminent childbirth, which I imagine might dent my
> ability to attend a workshop :). So depends on timing really, and how
> amenable to hacking the baby turns out to be ... In the meantime I'm more
> than happy to answer questions - if I have a sec I'll finish off my
> half-done post on using netbeans/eclipse with processing (makes life soooo
> much easier).

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM, genzaichi <genzai...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > We must surely be getting close to the stage where the heating doesn't
> > need to be on at The Edge...
> > If you don't want to get started until after Easter, just use some of
> > the other Wednesday nights?
>
> > --

> > birmingham-hack-...@googlegroups.com<birmingham-hack-space%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Michael Nicholls

Mar 24, 2010, 8:33:55 AM3/24/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
Hi Guys,

I would be interested in picking up some processing. I have plenty of
programming background so I imagine picking the language up won't be
too difficult, but I am not so creative and aware of the potential
uses of it.

I was considering the potential of interfacing it to other things. I
have seen it can integrated with an Arduino easily, but it occurred to
me that it might be interesting to interface a smartphone to it via
WiFi.
This would allow you to utilise the touchscreen, accelerometer &
possibly even the microphone as inputs/control surfaces that can be
rendered in processing.

Does anyone think it would be potentially useful/interesting?

Mike

On Mar 24, 10:52 am, Tigershungry <mariefouls...@googlemail.com>

Antonio Roberts

Mar 24, 2010, 10:17:31 AM3/24/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
> The guy who gave their workshop was Tommy Sweeny (have got his contact
> details). Verdict was...
>
>[snip]

That's fine if he's only really taught beginners stuff, could draw in
some new people.

> I'm up for using an in between Wednesday evening for this. April 21st?

That'll be the same week as the Theremin workshop (happening Saturday
24th), but it's still possible. Are there any costs/other conditions
involved with getting him down here?

Ant

hellocatfood

Mar 24, 2010, 11:20:22 AM3/24/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
I've added moving to weekly hack sessions and the proposed Processing
workshop to the planning meeting agenda http://wiki.fizzpop.org.uk/Planning_Meeting_Agenda_March_2010

Tigershungry, if you're not able to attend the meeting could you pass
on any information you have about his workshop/work so that we can
discuss it in more detail at the meeting?

Cheers,

Antonio

On Mar 24, 2:17 pm, Antonio Roberts <bv3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The guy who gave their workshop was Tommy Sweeny (have got his contact
> > details). Verdict was...
>
> >[snip]
>
> That's fine if he's only really taught beginners stuff, could draw in
> some new people.
>
> > I'm up for using an in between Wednesday evening for this. April 21st?
>
> That'll be the same week as the Theremin workshop (happening Saturday
> 24th), but it's still possible. Are there any costs/other conditions
> involved with getting him down here?
>
> Ant

Andrew Thomas

Mar 24, 2010, 2:59:29 PM3/24/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In case it's useful for anyone learning Processing, I made my 3D sailing program into an applet and put it on my website (with source):

http://www.geocomputing.co.uk/getpage.php?type=page&page=seawaves

Best wishes,

Andrew.

genzaichi

Mar 24, 2010, 5:48:09 PM3/24/10
to Birmingham Hack Space

Just thinking that the decisions on any 'internal' workshop like this
(if that's what this is) should be made by the people who want to
attend it.

There's negligible overlap with the steering group people signed up
for the IRC meeting, so can I suggest the planning stays here with the
people who initiated it? I can't see any benefit in taking the control
and putting it somewhere else!

We've got a wiki set up for planning workshops and events. Depending
on how things pan out that could be a useful resource for whoever's
fronting the admin, but if it's a simple case of n number of people
chipping in x number of ££s then that might be overkill...

Anyway, just a thought.

nikki

On Mar 24, 3:20 pm, hellocatfood <bv3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've added moving to weekly hack sessions and the proposed Processing

> workshop to the planning meeting agendahttp://wiki.fizzpop.org.uk/Planning_Meeting_Agenda_March_2010

Antonio Roberts

Mar 24, 2010, 6:09:30 PM3/24/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Completely understand. I guess the planning is going well so far on
here, so until it spirals out of control we can keep it here. Still
gonna keep the talks about moving to weekly as I know it's something
we've all talked about previously

Ant

Andrew Thomas

Mar 24, 2010, 6:31:49 PM3/24/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Continuing from what Nikki said, if that's ok, is it now a workshop or the communal self-help get together Antonio originally suggested? I like Antonios original idea: a get together of people who like processing. I also like the idea of chatting about how to do processing with eclipse (I'd like to do that :-).

But, I should say I don't really want to pay significant money to do a workshop on the basics when I already know them :-) Something like dev8d (is that right?!?), in the Birmingham area, with choosable coding dojos, now that would be nice though :-)

Best wishes,

Andrew.

Mar 25, 2010, 6:56:11 AM3/25/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
For now then how about a general processing meet up after Easter, 21st
April? then we can discuss in person where we all are, help each other
etc and then if there are more like myself who would like to get
started and need help with a workshop etc I am happy to be Mrs Admin
for this and will look to set up at a further distance from the
therimin one on the 24th. As said I think it would be good for roping
in some more creative types who want to get started but dont have the
techy know how.

Antonio Roberts

Mar 25, 2010, 7:32:09 AM3/25/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

So, to summarise:

Processing learning group meetup to take place on 21st April
Tigershungry to organise bringing in Tommy Sweeny at some point in the
future for a beginners Processing workshop
???
Profit!

Andrew Thomas

Mar 25, 2010, 7:56:39 AM3/25/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Can I stick my oar in to your excellent plans again? Instead of a later beginners workshop, why not a processing day, with short (half/hour) presentations throughout the day on beginner topics and how to talk to Arduinos, etc? Sort of like a combination of your vivid day and Brumcon, with a small extra fee for each presentation maybe.

Just a thought, as it would probably help beginners if they were mixing with intermediate/advanced users (and they might have fun and learn something from it too :-). Oh, and I'd be happy to help with bits of admin stuff if tigershungry needed any help.

Best wishes,

Andrew.

On 25 March 2010 10:56, Tigershungry <marief...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> For now then how about a general processing meet up after Easter, 21st
> April? then we can discuss in person where we all are, help each other

Antonio Roberts

Mar 25, 2010, 12:37:26 PM3/25/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you just volunteered yourself to do a talk/workshop!

I can't see why eventually we couldn't do this, sounds like a great
idea. I've contacted a few people I know to see if they're interested
in doing a worshop, but I guess after the first learning thingy we'll
see where we're at.

Ant

Andrew Thomas

Mar 25, 2010, 6:39:37 PM3/25/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Me and my big mouth eh ;-) Seriously though, I'm happy to help that way if needed.

I'll look forward to the 21st :-)

Best wishes,

Andrew.

On 25 March 2010 11:56, Andrew Thomas <andrewma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I stick my oar in to your excellent plans again? Instead of a later b

G Bulmer

Mar 26, 2010, 10:39:13 PM3/26/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
I'd be happy to have a Processing thinggy - I used to write Java, so
I'd like someone to do a quick overview of the class libraries.

Garry

On Mar 23, 2:58 pm, Andrew Thomas <andrewmarktho...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm up for a fizzpop processing user group get together type of thing :-)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew.

Tigershungry

Mar 27, 2010, 2:15:17 PM3/27/10
to Birmingham Hack Space

Hurray can talk about further processing stuff on the 21st then yes?
Antonio is there anything other than getting word out to set it up for
the 21st? ( eg booking space at the edge, or is this just a phone
call?).

Antonio Roberts

Mar 27, 2010, 11:17:03 PM3/27/10
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Just a phone call is involved, will sort it out on Monday. Would you
be able to draft something up for a blog post/mailing list?

Also, think about how you might wanna structure the evening (if at all)

Ant

genzaichi

Apr 3, 2010, 8:26:36 AM4/3/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
May be of interest to anyone who isn't coming to Theremin Day (and who
has £150 spare!):
http://narrativemapping.eventbrite.com/

nikki

Tigershungry

Apr 6, 2010, 4:53:35 AM4/6/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
For those following this thread and nay the Fizzpop site we've
formally set down the first Processing evening on the 21st of April,
you can find all the details this way...
http://www.fizzpop.org.uk/events/processing-anonymous-wednesday-april-21st/

As for the £150 looks good, but oh to have £150 spare... I'll go see
what I can pull together from down the back of the sofa.

-Marie

hellocatfood

Apr 26, 2010, 11:24:40 AM4/26/10
to Birmingham Hack Space
Nikki did a good summary of the Processing Anonymous event over on the
blog: http://www.fizzpop.org.uk/blog/house-wars/ For those that didn't
attend it was a good mix of programming and fun things you can do with
it!

I think the next question is when do we hold the next Processing event
and do we want a theme to go with it? I vote for it coming up soon,
possibly even next week if we can get the venue booked.

What say the rest of y'all?

Ant