CHOWDOWN II

Big Daddy

Sep 21, 2009, 9:15:42 PM9/21/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
We've had some discussion about Chowdown II being at Chen's. Might be
a good followup, as a comparison to Red Pearl.
Or we may want to go in another direction: Silver Coin for Indian
food. Pho Que Hong for Vietnamese (as much as I love Saigon Noodle
House, I think Que Hong has a more diverse menu -- all the better for
group meals). Maybe Taqueria La Reyna to try all their different
antojitos. Sol y Luna for the closest thing we have to tapas. Heck,
even Chez Fon Fon for charcuterie and their small plates.
Got suggestions?
Evening? Or a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? (When I was at Chen's mid-
afternoon, business was dead and they had college football on the high-
def TV).

Jannae

Sep 22, 2009, 6:29:34 AM9/22/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Thanks for posting this over on Chow so I could pick up the posting
here.

I'd be up for any of the places you suggested above BD. We love
Chen's. Haven't been to Pho Que Hong, but looking over their menu
(wish they'd had a better scanned in menu) I'm game for giving them a
go. Though, I've been looking for a tapas-style place, and now you've
got me interested in checking out Sol y Luna.

It's not even 5:30 am, and you've got me thinking of dinner!

I think a weekend meet-up might work best for us personally.

G200

Sep 22, 2009, 10:02:13 AM9/22/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
I have lots of availability after 10/06, and more importantly, have
regained my senses of taste and smell. Big Daddy, your suggestions
are well thought out. My only addition might be the Peruvian
restaurant on Valley. I've not been, nor can I say I know much about
Peruvian food, but I'd like to try something new. As for Sol y Luna -
I love their food, but would prefer something a little more off the
beaten epicurean path.

By the way, since I missed the Red Pearl chowdown, I'm making a trip
over there today for a late lunch to make up. I'll make sure to eat
at least one of the recommended dishes.

Dax

Sep 22, 2009, 12:24:38 PM9/22/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
I'm available more on week nights or perhaps a Sunday. Weekend
Saturdays are devoted to college football.

Big Daddy

Sep 22, 2009, 1:40:22 PM9/22/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
The Peruvian place (Machu Piccu -- probably butchered spelling) is
another good idea. I've been, and they have a diverse enough menu that
it would be worth trying.

So let's agree on a place and an evening.

And glad you're feeling better, G200.

Jannae

Sep 23, 2009, 6:55:38 AM9/23/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Peruvian sounds good as well. The husband and I are always up for
something new and different.

I found BD's review of Machu Picchu on the Chow forum (http://
chowhound.chow.com/topics/609298). Someone posted scanned images of
the menu as well.

Jannae

Nov 7, 2009, 8:30:31 AM11/7/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
I've seen some low key mentioning of a Chow Down at Mr. Chen's.

Should we try for a pre-holiday or post holiday gathering?

G200

Nov 7, 2009, 6:38:26 PM11/7/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
I'd love to try before Thanksgiving.

Regarding Mr. Chen's - I refrained from posting this on Chowhound, but
will do so on this smaller forum: The Birmingham News review has
REALLY put the place into a tailspin. I sure hope they'll pull out of
it, though. I went for my birthday on Tuesday with my wife and 2
daughters. We arrived at 5:45 and were seated immediately, ordered a
Tsing Tao, a tapioca drink, and a couple of slushes for the kids.
Within 10 minutes of our arrival, we ordered soup, soup dumplings, and
3 entrees to share. Our drinks came out almost immediately,
fortunately, but that's where things went south. At about 6:35, and
with people queued up at the front of the store, our winter melon and
clam soup (was fantastic, by the way) came out. At almost 7, and with
nothing but soup in our bellies, we told them we had to leave to get
our kids home and in bed. We frequent Mr. Chen's often enough that
Shu (the owner's wife, I believe) recognizes us and is always very,
very sweet. She and her son (again, I'm assuming) were both very
apologetic and comped us the soup, 2 beers and other drinks. While we
were there, we saw people showing frustration at not getting their
checks or getting seated.

I saw a "help wanted" sign out front. I hope it comes quickly. I'm
actually heading there tonight for a late (or latish) dinner. I've
always enjoyed the service and I believe in second chances.

So with that in mind, a chowdown at Mr. Chen's should come after a
phone call
> > the menu as well.- Hide quoted text -

Jannae

Nov 8, 2009, 4:36:07 PM11/8/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
We're planning on going there next weekend (Nov. 14th) for the
husband's birthday lunch. Hopefully things will be going a bit better.

I would hate to see this place sink due to too much popularity. Maybe
the die-hard customers will see this as a stumbling block and be
forgiving enough to stick with them till things settle down.

Big Daddy

Nov 10, 2009, 1:14:55 PM11/10/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Consensus seems to be on Chen's for the next Chowdown. I propose the
week of Dec. 8-11 (Tuesday seems the best bet; they're closed on
Mondays). That should give time for the crowds attracted by the News
review to die down a bit, and hopefully for the restaurants to get the
help they need. (Geez, I may volunteer to wait tables there for
tradeout, if it gets too bad; this place is worth saving).

Jannae, I go regularly on weekend afternoons and while they do a
decent business, they're not full. Weekend nights tended to be packed
even before the review.

So whaddya say Bham Hounds? Chen's the first full week of December?

Once we get a head count, I'll call ahead (or let them know on one of
my visits). Let's try to get a good-sized group so we can try lots of
dishes, both familiar and new.

G200

Nov 11, 2009, 9:26:05 PM11/11/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Let's do it. Sounds like a good time to chow down. Tuesday or later
in that week works for me.

I'll bring plenty of cash.

My Saturday night visit went well. It was a packed house, but service
was fast and spot on. The pea leaves were great, very earthy. I
ordered them after my last visit to Red Pearl after reading the
chowdown review, but they were out. I was happy to get to try them.
The garlic bacon (?) is definitely worth ordering. Mmmmm, pork.

Jannae

Nov 13, 2009, 6:27:01 AM11/13/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Sounds good. December 8 should work out for us.

For those who were at the chow down at Red Pearl, what's the best
recommendation of handling the check(s)?

This should be very exciting!

Big Daddy

Nov 13, 2009, 9:59:38 AM11/13/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
They simply divided the check by three. That approach seems to work
best when there's no alcohol being consumed. But since Chen's recently
added beer, I know at least one of us will be imbibing. Depending on
the number and how busy they are that night, we could ask them to
split the food costs evenly and charge us individually for our drinks.

CraftyKT

Nov 13, 2009, 6:28:25 PM11/13/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Count in 2 more people! I've been to Chen's once before and it was
tasty! Tried to go again a few weeks ago and there was a huge line.
See you all on the 8th!

Jannae

Nov 16, 2009, 7:02:56 AM11/16/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
The husband and I will be there. We're eager to try some of the other
dishes we haven't had yet.

Big Daddy

Nov 16, 2009, 11:19:19 AM11/16/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
I posted a notice on the Chen's thread in Chowhound, asking folks to
check out this Google group.

I proposed Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7p.m. at Chen's. By my count, we have 6
or 7. Let me know if this works for you and I'll both post a Chowdown
notice on the other board and call Chen's to tell them we're coming.

Dax

Nov 16, 2009, 11:55:24 AM11/16/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Works for me too. See y'all there. Hopefully everyone will actually
show up for this one

Bryant T. Conger

Nov 16, 2009, 3:09:59 PM11/16/09
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
I think I'm the moderator; I filter out around five spam emails per
week, but sometimes they slip through the cracks (i.e., google's
filtering system).

Also, count me in - I'm excited!

G200

Nov 16, 2009, 6:23:16 PM11/16/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Perfect. I'll be there, either solo or possibly with my wife.

Thanks.

curej

Nov 17, 2009, 10:00:50 AM11/17/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
My wife and I are in.

Big Daddy

Nov 21, 2009, 12:16:20 PM11/21/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Bryant,

The porn links and other phishing that is crowding the Chowdown group
page on my computer is driving me nuts. I'm very new to Google groups.
Is there any way to delete this crap?

Thanks and Go Dawgs,

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Nov 28, 2009, 12:53:46 PM11/28/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Here's a reminder of Chowdown II, set for Tuesday, Dec. 8, 7 p.m. at
Chen's.

Looks like we've got about a dozen who say they're interested. I'll
tell the Chen's folks we're coming that night.

Dax is correct: The more who come, the more dishes we can try (and in
some cases, discover) and the better the experience will be. Please
try to make it.

Big Daddy

Jannae

Nov 29, 2009, 11:43:23 AM11/29/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
The hubby and I have been holding back from visiting Mr. Chen's in
anticipation of the dinner.

Unless something happens in the next week, we're there!

Jannae

Dec 4, 2009, 6:25:40 AM12/4/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Thank you for cleaning out the porn and garbage posts!

Jannae

Dec 4, 2009, 6:27:25 PM12/4/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Anyone have any special items they're eager to test out they haven't
had before?

I'm thinking the pigs ears for certain, and maybe the crispy
intestines.

Anyone have any good recommendations of something off the norm for
Americans that they love?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

David Hines

Dec 5, 2009, 2:26:35 PM12/5/09
to birmingham...@googlegroups.com
Splitting seems to be the best way to go. As far as trying new things-the
beauty of a chowdown is that there should be plenty of opportunities to try
new things. I'm hoping to use this as an opportunity to experience foods I
wouldn't if dining alone or with my wife.

Regarding some of the items - The pigs ears are definitely worth trying.
Tasty, but with a crunch from the cartilage that takes some getting used to.
The winter melon soup with clams is wonderful - lots of ginger and cilantro.
The "bacon" dish is tasty, although a friend ordered it on my recommendation
and was disappointed when she didn't get bacon as we all know it.

I'm all for trying the crispy intestines. A little apprehensive, but eager
nonetheless.

Dec 6, 2009, 9:48:38 PM12/6/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
This post was from me. I guess when you reply to a post via email,
the poster's name is displayed. Now you know who to say hello to
Tuesday night!

Dave Hines (G200)

Big Daddy

Dec 7, 2009, 12:31:59 PM12/7/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Final reminder:

I talked to the Chen's folks, and they're expecting up to a dozen.
This is Tuesday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m.

I haven't talked to them about billing, but here's what I plan to
suggest: Split the food evenly, but keep individual drink tabs. We'd
each pay our share of the food, plus our own drinks.

All of you who expressed an interest, please come. There will be
plenty of food that anybody would like.

Jannae, I can't wait to meet you. Your eagerness in anticipating this
has been fun. Kinda reminds me of going to JazzFest in New Orleans.
Each day I'd have my first three orders from the food booths already
determined before walking in the gate.

Big Daddy

Jannae

Dec 8, 2009, 7:02:31 AM12/8/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Aww, thanks Big Daddy. I can't wait to meet you and the other folks
who seem to share my eagerness to try new foods, and go on a tasting
adventure. It'll be fantastic to put faces to screen names.

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! The anticipation of something
new counters the rainy day it is outside.
Hopefully the storms will hold off till we're all back home tonight.

See you at dinner!

> read more »- Hide quoted text -

Jannae

Dec 8, 2009, 5:29:54 PM12/8/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
With the weather being as yucky as it is, I'm guessing we're still on
for tonight?

Big Daddy

Dec 11, 2009, 2:17:12 PM12/11/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Chowdown II at Chen's was an unbelievable experience. I think most of
the dozen or so folks who came liked most of what they tried, and many
discovered one or two new things to try.
We had 16 dishes in all: four appetizers (Steamed bun, or soup
dumplings; braised beef shanks; taro cake and wine chicken), one soup
(Winter Melon Clam Soup), two vegetable dishes (sauteed sweet pea
leaves and sauteed string bean), four seafood dishes (ginger onion
squid, basil clam, anchovies with peanuts, fish fillets with king po
sauce), and five meat/tofu dishes (Tainwanese braised pork, beef bean
curd with cilantro, garlic spiced bacon meat, eggplant with pork
basil, and ma po tofu with pork).
The least-favorite dish was a substitute for the salted duck we
ordered (they were out). Most diners voted the wine chicken the worst
dish we tried. Cold, firm boiled chicken in wine sauce with cilantro
and strange neon-red currant-like things.
The steamed bun, xiao long bao, rocked as always. It was a discovery
for many diners once they were clued in to the soup inside the
dumpling.
The beef shanks were enjoyable. The soup was sublime -- nice big broth
enhanced by fresh clams cooked in it, and soft winter melon.
Garlic spiced bacon meat was very nice. But it's one of those dishes
best shared or eaten piecemeal. Boiled pork belly, sliced thin, with a
very nice sauce that cut through the richness of the meat.
Speaking of sauces, the spicy-relishy sauce with the taro cake brought
together the different tastes and textures of the seared exterior and
soft interior.
One of the universal second-favorites was ginger onion squid.
Perfectly fried, perfectly cooked squid with green onions and lots of
ginger. This dish also would make a good starter for a group.
Another popular seafood dish was the fried fish fillet with kung po
sauce. Nice blend of sweet and heat (although nothing is
overpoweringly spicy at Chen's).
My suggestion of anchovies with peanuts was a dud. Whole baby
anchovies were about 1 inch long and the size of a toothpick. I liked
the salty, crunchy fishiness. But this is another dish in which a
little goes a long way (and is best not ordered alone). There wasn't
much left, but this was one of three dishes (including wine chicken)
with any leftovers.
The other was ma po tofu with pork, which divided folks. People either
liked it a lot or put it as one of their least-liked dishes, if they
were that polite. In my house, we're big fans of the vegetarian
version.
Basil clam had several fans. Most found the beef bean curd with
cilantro to be salty, although enjoyable. Both vegetable dishes were
great. Vegetarians beware: Order the string beans without meat. Meat
lovers: the pork provides a nice compliment to the crispy green beans.
Perhaps the biggest surprise for some, and the second most-popular
dish, was eggplant pork basil. Unbelievable contrast of flavors: rich
eggplant, salty pork and fragrant basil.
But No. 1 -- almost universally -- was Taiwanese braised pork. This is
pork belly braised in a sweet and savory sauce. Rich, porky lip-
smackin good. Don't let the fat scare you: Mama, that's where the fun
is.
One guy at my end politely declined the braised pork at first, then
became so curious by the orgasmic responses around the table, he tried
a bit that was making a second round. He was hooked.
All this food, and most got out for under $15 with one drink. The
folks at Chen's got into the spirit of the whole thing and we all
enjoyed ourselves. A very successful Chowdown.

Big Daddy

Jannae

Dec 12, 2009, 12:26:03 PM12/12/09
to Birmingham Chowhounds
Excellent write-up Big Daddy. Thank you for reminding me of all the
wonderful dishes we had.

My husband is now convinced eggplant when cooked properly, is NOT a
weapon of mass destruction. The pork and eggplant dish certainly
opened his eyes to the vegetable. It's been a battle since he and I
first began dating to get him to try eggplant. Peer pressure to the
rescue! Now maybe when we go to the farmer's market, he'll let me buy
some to cook at home.

On a cold day like today, I'm wanting to go for some of that melon and
clam soup. Yummy!