[Birding-Aus] Strickland State Forest, NSW (nr. Gosford)

Charles Hunter

Dec 9, 2007, 4:14:28 AM12/9/07
to Birding Aus
Hi all,

A pleasant morning spent in Strickland State Forest today, 9th December. The following birds were seen:

Black-faced Monarch, Green Catbird, Yellow-throated Scrubwren, Large-billed Scrubwren, Eastern Yellow Robin, Eastern Whipbird, Bell Miner, Fan-tailed Cuckoo, Brown Cuckoo-Dove, Lewin's Honeyeater.

Cheers,
Charles

to: birding-a...@vicnet.net.au
===============================

Tom and Mandy Wilson

Dec 10, 2007, 5:25:41 AM12/10/07
to Birding Aus
Hi all
as I was out walking this morning, I saw a Magpie dive bomb 3 Crested
Pigeons - but it did not attack me or the chap I saw with a dog, which I
would assume were more threatening. I couldn't see any fledglings, so why
would a Magpie see Crested Pigeons as a threat?
Cheers
Tom Wilson

Philip Veerman

Dec 10, 2007, 5:31:53 AM12/10/07
to Tom and Mandy Wilson, Birding Aus
They often do that. They probably don't see Crested Pigeons as a threat. They are just aggressive. Three possible reasons, attempted predation, they are showing off their aggression to their magpie family to impress them or that they just like to keep their aggressive behaviour well rehearsed and finely tuned.

Philip

Cas and Lisa Liber

Dec 10, 2007, 6:52:58 AM12/10/07
to Birding Aus
..or they recognise that Crested pigeons are likely to be targets for
wandering raptors and hence prefer not to have anything likely to attract
said predators to the nesting area. (from Kaplans book on the magpie)
Cas

Cas and Lisa Liber

Dec 10, 2007, 8:51:39 AM12/10/07
to Birding Aus
There's a couple available here:
http://tinyurl.com/2xu436
Museum bookshops are good to. Got her new one on the tawny Frogmouth from WA
museum a couple of weeks ago
Cheers
Cas

Its interesting to hear different opinions of WHY magpies behave as they do.
But that is all most are , opinions.

Quoting Kaplan is also interesting as this popular volume contains some
science but so far I have been unable to find it.

Peter

peter crow