hangs when viewing a gene report - firefox 3.5.3

1 view

Steve G.

Oct 19, 2009, 2:18:29 PM10/19/09
to BioGPS
Hello, when I use my firefox browser to visit a bioGPS gene report
page such as

https://biogps.gnf.org/genereport/112406/?org=mouse

.... I get a race condition (application hangs and uses 100% of a cpu)
until I kill the browser.

Most likely a firefox problem related to the fancy biogps interface...
but it effectively prevents me from using your web site at all.

Has anyone else noticed this? bioGPS seems to work ok w/ opera.

Steve

Marc Leglise

Oct 19, 2009, 2:37:04 PM10/19/09
to Steve G., BioGPS
Hi Steve,

We're seeing this same problem, but only on a subset of our machines, and only very recently. To help us narrow it down, could you let us know more about your specific setup? We're actively working to get this fixed, but the more data we can get the better.

- What OS are you running? Win/Mac/Linux/etc and which version?

- Which Firefox plugins do you have installed?

- Do you have a BioGPS account?

Thanks for helping us get this bug figured out. In case you'd like to answer any of the above questions privately, you can send them to bio...@gnf.org.

(For being the first to report this bug, you are welcome to one of our BioGPS mascots if you like: http://biogps.blogspot.com/2008/12/biogps-swag-just-in-time-for-holidays.html)

Cheers!

-Marc

________________________________
From: "Steve G." <steve...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 11:18:29 -0700
To: BioGPS <bio...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [BioGPS] hangs when viewing a gene report - firefox 3.5.3

Marc Leglise

Oct 20, 2009, 2:25:03 PM10/20/09
to Steve Grubb, BioGPS
Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been working on this problem since yesterday, so far to no avail. It seems like for different computers it happens always, sometimes, or never, but we have yet to narrow down the root cause. I'm glad to hear yours is working now, but please let me know if it happens again. We're going to keep hammering away at this, but here's what we know so far.

- Older versions of BioGPS are also triggering this problem, even from much further back in time, long before this bug was first seen.

- Oddly enough, this is not triggered by JavaScript, but somehow by CSS. Only by stripping out every single CSS file can we prevent the "always affected" computers from getting the CPU spike. Combined with the above, this leads us to believe it hasn't been caused by a change to the BioGPS code.

- Win XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X are all affected.

- No Firefox plugins or extensions have so far been singled out. We're seeing this across a wide range of installations.

- Many Firefox users have been complaining online about the marked decrease in performance after upgrading from 3.5.2 to 3.5.3. However that's clearly not the only factor at work here, since many other 3.5.3 users are not seeing this problem.

We're running out of avenues to explore, but will keep at it. Our best bet right now is to find other affected users so we can gather more data. Anyone else reading this thread, take note. If you get a CPU spike while loading any BioGPS page, please let us know.

Thanks!

-Marc

________________________________
From: Steve Grubb <steve...@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:15:17 -0700
To: Marc Leglise <mleg...@gnf.org>

Hello Marc,

OS is Win XP ... should be up to date w/ patches etc.

Plugins - see attached screen shot of a list of my plugins.

I do have a bioGPS acct ("********") but didn't explicitly log in for the session when I got the problem.

Just now in trying to reproduce the problem I couldn't get the race condition to occur, for that same gene that it did earlier, and for a different gene. Maybe you've fixed the problem.

Steve

Nitpicker

Nov 14, 2009, 12:26:06 PM11/14/09
to BioGPS
Without using this site at all, I was having similar problems with my
MacBook. After I installed the latest OS X (10.6.2 called Snow
Leopard) I downloaded Firefox 3.6b2 and my hang problems are pretty
much all gone. It might be worth a try.

Dick