Is Biochar promising?

Liang Yuetong

Sep 27, 2016, 9:29:18 AM9/27/16
to Biochar
My name is Yuetong. I am a freshman in the Biochar market. Actually I am working on a Pyrolysis project and we might get Biochar as a sub product. What is the  price of one ton of Biochar?

Thank you guys even you just have a glance at it.

Mike Urban

Sep 27, 2016, 9:37:57 AM9/27/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com
40 pound bags wholesale in small quantities for $22.00 each.

A ton would likely be $1,000 but there are not many buyers for "ton" quantity.

Better to go after local gardening market in smaller packages.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 5:28 AM, Liang Yuetong <johns...@gmail.com> wrote:
My name is Yuetong. I am a freshman in the Biochar market. Actually I am working on a Pyrolysis project and we might get Biochar as a sub product. What is the  price of one ton of Biochar?

Thank you guys even you just have a glance at it.

Nando Breiter

Sep 27, 2016, 10:03:50 AM9/27/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuetong,

Market prices are regional and would be influenced, I believe, by the added value its use brings. Consider 2 scenarios. 1) an apple orchard producing at 50% of its genetic potential and 2) a rice paddy producing at 50% of its genetic potential. The orchard is currently grossing about $10,000 per hectare and year, while the rice paddy is grossing about $500 per year and hectare. Let's simplistically assume that 10 tonnes of biochar per hectare in each scenario would increase yields to 100% of their potential. The amount per tonne the rice farmer would be willing to pay would be less than the apple farmer, because a $500 gain in gross yield would be less than a $10,000 gain in gross yield.

Agricultural realities, and the perception of value, are of course more complex than that, and not all chars produced as a byproduct of a pyrolysis process will be optimal for agricultural fertility. In a word, it's complicated, but we are constrained by the way evolutionary processes have "designed" soil fertility in the case of agricultural plants. That's what counts. In my simple view, to optimize soil fertility, the end product of pyrolysis must have a molecular structure as close as possible to that of humic matter, or char produced from wild fires.

CarbonZero
Via Carà 6
6999 Astano
Switzerland

+41 (0)91 600 9601
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Ronal W. Larson

Sep 27, 2016, 11:22:53 AM9/27/16
to bio...@googlegroups.com, johns...@gmail.com
Liang:

You have had several good responses on prices; which can be all over the place; as can the value.  Please give us more on what you are doing and your likely costs of making char.  The answers you seek will depend a lot on where you are also - and your raw material.  Maybe you can even get a tipping fee.  There is no easy simple answer.

Ron