Fwd: NeXML question

Rutger Vos

May 2, 2012, 7:22:08 AM5/2/12
to bio-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Laszlo,

thank you very much for putting this question to me, it was actually a topic I was planning to expand on a little bit anyway. I've had to fix a bug in Bio::Phylo to make what you're trying to do a little bit easier, and have uploaded the new version that fixes this to CPAN. The version number is 0.48, which should be available on your CPAN in a few hours (I just checked: not yet).

I wrote a blog post / tutorial that discusses how you would annotate individual characters, write the result to NeXML and read that back in for further analysis. The blog post is here: http://biophylo.blogspot.com/2012/05/reading-and-writing-complex-character.html

Note that NeXML (and indeed all XML) is rather verbose so there is an upper limit to how large your data matrices can be, but if you find this a promising avenue please do give it a try, and if you run into any problems let me know and perhaps I can optimize the code a little. Perhaps it's fine though: I've had no problems reading the entire ToLWeb tree (and the entire TreeZilla alignment) as NeXML so maybe it's not an issue.

Best wishes,

Rutger