Plans to migration to LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice?

Crawford Rainwater

Oct 15, 2011, 5:32:03 PM10/15/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred and company:

Are there any plans for migration from OpenOffice to LibreOffice in
v0.80+? Just wondering due to recent articles and events with
OpenOffice being "passed around" now as a project.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

--- Crawford

The Linux ETC Company
10121 Yates Court
Westminster, CO 80031 USA
voice: +1.303.604.2550
web: http://www.linux-etc.com

Fred Dixon

Oct 15, 2011, 7:36:56 PM10/15/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Crawford,

We see it's possible to install libreoffice via packages

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice

However, we've been using the built-in packages for installing
OpenOffice 3.2 and they have been working well for us. We're pretty
late in the beta testing for 0.8 to change one of the underlying
components, best to defer this to the next iteration of BigBlueButton.

We'd be interested in investigating if libreoffice can do a better job
of converting .pptx, .docx, ... to PDF.

Regards,... Fred
--
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#BigBlueButton_Committer

Crawford Rainwater

Oct 16, 2011, 10:27:37 AM10/16/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred:

Sounds good and understandable. Hence why I was asking for v0.80+
(note the "+" there). ;-)

As for personal experiences of LibreOffice vs. OpenOffice I see
similar in performance on the PDF exporting as of v3.3 (using v3.4 of
LibreOffice). But then I am not doing anything too fancy such as
unusual/odd fonts either. Just some minor input and HTH for a
starting basis.

Regards,

--- Crawford

On Oct 15, 5:36 pm, Fred Dixon <ffdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Crawford,
>
> We see it's possible to install libreoffice via packages
>
>    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice
>
> However, we've been using the built-in packages for installing
> OpenOffice 3.2 and they have been working well for us.  We're pretty
> late in the beta testing for 0.8 to change one of the underlying
> components, best to defer this to the next iteration of BigBlueButton.
>
> We'd be interested in investigating if libreoffice can do a better job
> of converting .pptx, .docx, ... to PDF.
>
> Regards,... Fred
> --http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#BigBlueButton_Committer

unc0nnected

Dec 3, 2011, 9:19:38 AM12/3/11
to bigbluebutton-users
I for one am 100% on board with this migration.. First of all as a
FreeBSD user openoffice is being phased out almost entirely. It is
next to impossible to install openoffice on FreeBSD 8.1 or later as
the past 7 days of trying as taught me. with almost 1 million lines
of code difference between them now libreoffice is being developed at
warp speed next to the stagnating openoffice. the entire ODF format
is moving away from OO and to Libreoffice since the oracle takeover of
Sun and the basic abandonment of OO to the apache group.

But coming back to the FreeBSD issue, it is impossible to install BBB
on FreeBSD in it's current state because of it's reliance on open
office.. The only way we can get around this issue is by hacking the
BBB make files and pointing them to the libre office install paths
instead of OO or alternatively making symlinks to the libreoffice
directories so BBB thinks OO's installed. An entire OS is basically
throwing OO out and so should BBB in support of a more actively
developed and maintained libreoffice

Fred Dixon

Dec 3, 2011, 11:15:03 AM12/3/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi unc0nnected,

We develop, test, package, distribute and support BigBlueButton on
Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit and 64-bit. The instructions for the FreeBSD port
at

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallingBigBlueButtonFreeBSD

have been contributed by Dru Lavinge, a director at the FreeBSD Foundation.

Since we (the core BigBlueButton developers) focus on Ubuntu, I can
only comment on our work on Ubuntu. We've been in development of
BigBlueButton 0.8 for almost a year, and in that time we too have seen
the shift from OpenOffice to LibreOffice, most notably in LibreOffice
replacing OpenOffice in Ubuntu 11.04 and onward. See

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice#Ubuntu_10.04_LTS_and_10.10

We haven't shifted from OpenOffice to LibreOffice on Ubuntu 10.04
because, at this point, the version of OpenOffice installed well for
Office 2003 to PDF conversion, but has some problems with Office 2007
and 2010 conversion. The problems haven't been a big deal as we tell
everyone to upload PDF files, which convert well and further avoid any
problems of any missing fonts.

Since the release of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-1 on September 12, 2011,
we've been focused on stabilizing and bug fixing, so changing from
OpenOffice -> LibreOffice isn't a switch we had planned for this
release.

Looking ahead, the next long term support (LTS) release is Ubuntu
12.04, and we'll be moving BigBlueButton to that release. At that
point, we can do a swap to LibreOffice as part of a new testing cycle.

We take a closer look at the configuration details of how to swap out
OpenOffice for LibreOffice on a stock BigBlueButton 0.8 release, and
the FreeBSD community should be able to leverage those steps for doing
the same on its OS.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer