Mac OS 10.7 (Lion) prevents user from accepting Flash Player security dialog to access microphone and web cam

Fred Dixon

Jul 21, 2011, 9:10:21 AM7/21/11
to bigbluebutton-users
For those Mac users considering updating to Mac OS 10.7 (Lion), there
is a known issue that will affect using BigBlueButton: the flash
security dialog does not respond to mouse clicks when requesting
access to the microphone and camera. See

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html#main_Flash_Player

This problem prevent you from joining the voice conference in a
BigBlueButton meeting.

We just updated one of our Macs to 10.7 and confirmed the bug. The
workaround suggested in the above KB article (use the tab and space
key to select and click the 'accept' button) also didn't work.

On Mac OS 10.7 we tried Safari (Flash 10.3.181.22 and 10.3.181.26) and
Chrome (Flash 10.3.181.35) and all had the same bug.

A workaround that does work is to explicitly add a site to the Flash
player security settings to allow it to connect the microphone and
webcam without the security dialog. To do this on Mac OS 10.7,

1. Open System Preferences (from the Apple Doc)
2. Click Flash Player
3. Click 'Camera and Mic' tab
4. Click 'Camera and Microphone Settings by Site...'
5. Click '+' to add a site.
6. Enter the Website Domain (such as demo.bigbluebutton.org)
7. Choose 'Allow' from the drop-down menu
8. Click 'Add'
9. Click 'Close'
10. Close the Flash Player Settings dialog

After this, you will be able to join the voice conference on
demo.bigbluebutton.org suing Safari without receiving the flash
security dialog.

When making the above changed, Chrome still prompted us for the
security dialog, which makes sense as Google embeds Flash inside of
Chrome, while Safari relies on Adobe Flash player installer.

On you mac, make sure your running the latest version of Flash by
going to

http://www.adobe.com/go/getflash

Obviously, this a pretty obnoxious Flash bug. There isn't anything we
can do in BigBlueButton to code around it as it's the Flash security
dialog, and that appears transparently to a Flash application.

We hope this is solved quickly by Adobe. They do a great job
supporting Flash on Mac, Unix, and PC computers, but sometimes Apple
doesn't make it easy.

We'll track updates to this issue here:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=975

Regards,... Fred
--
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#BigBlueButton_Committer

Fred Dixon

Aug 7, 2011, 8:51:13 PM8/7/11
to bigbluebutton-users
No fix yet. Here are some tutorials on enabling Flash for a specific
site running BigBlueButton.

https://blog.imeet.com/how-to-enable-your-webcam-and-microphone-on-mac-lion-os-x/

Eugene

Aug 13, 2011, 5:41:19 PM8/13/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Fred, thanks for the workaround, I've checked and it works for me in
both: Safari and Firefox 5.

But I've faced with 2 another problems:
1. It seems that "desktop sharing" doesn't work (full screen nor
region) under Lion.
2. Mouse curson in Safari under Lion – the cursor disappears after
moving it over any app window like "Users", "Listeners",
"Presentation", etc.

Should I open the issues in the bug tracker for them?
Thanks.

Fred Dixon

Aug 13, 2011, 6:52:09 PM8/13/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eugene,

For (1), can you confirm you can run a Java applet by visiting

http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/index.html

If you can run a Java applet, can you enable the Java Console and
paste the output to this thread. We've seen problems running desktop
sharing on Mac OS 10.5.8. See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=891

For (2), please open an issue. You can also test on the upcoming 0.8 at

http://test.bigbluebutton.org/

Eugene Voytitsky

Aug 14, 2011, 4:38:54 PM8/14/11
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fred,

1). You are right - it was general problem with Java applets on my
system. Solved. Thanks.
But, anyway it was unclear that problem was in Java plugin
misconfiguration - just seems that BBB doesn't work.

2). Mouse cursor problem presents in upcoming 0.8 at
http://test.bigbluebutton.org/ too.
I've created the issue
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=983

Thanks.

--
Best regards,
Eugene Voytitsky

Fred Dixon

Aug 16, 2011, 6:46:24 AM8/16/11
to bigbluebutton-users
Hi Everyone,

Looks like Adobe has fixed the problem with Flash not responding to
mouse clicks on its security dialog. See

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html#main_Flash_Player

On our Mac OS 10.7 test machine we got prompted for updating Flash. I
just tested logging into a BigBlueButton session using Safari and can
now join the audio conference without problems.

When I did a Flash version check (visited http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html)
I got back

WIN 10,3,183,5

On Mac OS 10.7 with Chrome, it now works as well. Chrome returns the
same version.