Asterisk is broken and I can not fix it

Don Schulz

Jul 28, 2010, 10:30:32 PM7/28/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello all and welcome to my nightmare. With some help from Sebastian
we were able to determine that my asterisk install is broken. We
noticed this by realizing none of asterisk config files were getting
into etc/asterisk. I have tried just about everything but can not seem
to get the asterisk package to install. These are the config fiiles
missing that I have noticed... /etc/asterisk/
extensions.conf ....sip.conf.......manager.conf

I am running a brand new Ubuntu 10.14 LTS 64 bit and I have installed
according to the instructions for .70. Everything works except voice
and I get an error of: ** Potential Problems **
Not Running: Asterisk The voice application failed to register with
the sip server. Try running bbb-conf --clean.

This is what we tried so far... purge asterisk then reinstall. Totally
wipe all install files and reinstall at least (12x).
Seb sent me the deb file to try and install it manually. Its almost as
if asterisk refuses to install. I also tried the install out on
another raw server with same OS only 32 bit and it ended up having the
same problem.

IF any one has some guidence please let me know. I would really be
happy if we could finally get this installed and you would have a
feather in your cap helping a novice.

Thank you in advance.

Don Schulz

Fred Dixon

Jul 29, 2010, 12:13:24 AM7/29/10
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

At the risk of stating the obvious, something isn't right in your servers.

I just spent an hour testing and installing asterisk on an Amazon EC2
instance for Ubuntu 64-bit. I tried installing it on an new instance
and it worked. I then tried another instance, upgraded it to the
latest Ubuntu packages, then installing asterisk -- it also worked. I
then installed bigbluebutton -- and it worked too.

Are you installing BigBlueButton by chance on a VPS server? We've
noticed that when installing ubuntu on VPS, some hosting companies
provide you a custom /etc/apt/sources.list. However, this custom
sources.list is usually lacking some of the needed repositories.

Can you do this ... can you download the Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit ISO and
try setting up a local BigBlueButton server based on that ISO. You
can use Virtual Box to setup a clean Ubuntu 10.04. Following the
instructions at

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu

It *should* work. That is, asterisk should install fine. If it does,
then the only real difference should be the /etc/apt/sources.list. If
you copy the /etc/apt/sources.list in your local install inside your
host, then asterisk should install correctly.

Give it a shot and let us know if you get problems installing a local
copy of BigBlueButton using virtual box.

Regards,... Fred

Don Schulz

Jul 29, 2010, 8:11:17 AM7/29/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Fred,

I hope your trip was successful. IS there another way to check my
sources list other than installing Ubuntu server on my pc?
I think you are right it probably is the source list file but there
has got to be a better way to reinstall the orginal list... I hope.

By the way I also tried thisout on two different dedicated servers,
both with the same problem. And maybe I changed both servers source
list, I no longer can recall.

So the big question: is there a way to replace the apt-get sources
list without installing Ubuntu on pc??

Thank you for your help.

Don
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Fred Dixon

Jul 29, 2010, 8:48:06 AM7/29/10
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

I'm traveling again and don't have access to a 10.04 installation, but
I've got a 9.04 and I'm pretty sure the sources are exactly the same
(just changing jaunty with lucid). Try the following for your
/etc/apt/sources.list for your server.

Regards,... Fred

#
#

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid main restricted

## Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the
## distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates main restricted

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any
## review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid universe
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates universe
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates universe

## N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu
## team, and may not be under a free licence. Please satisfy yourself as to
## your rights to use the software. Also, please note that software in
## multiverse WILL NOT receive any review or updates from the Ubuntu
## security team.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid multiverse
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the 'backports'
## repository.
## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
# deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports main
restricted universe multiverse
# deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports main
restricted universe multiverse

## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
## 'partner' repository.
## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.
# deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
# deb-src http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security main restricted
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security universe
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security universe
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu lucid-security multiverse

Don Schulz

Jul 29, 2010, 11:03:01 AM7/29/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Fred,

Well I am about to pull the little hair I have left... totally out.
Here is what I did: as I mentioned I have two dedicated Ubuntu 10.04
LTS 64/32
On server #2 I purged everything, changed sources as suggested then
tried to install according
to instructions (which I have done thru out) and absolutely no
asterisk files going into etc/asterisk.
As I watch I can see the astrisk package being downloaded, unpacked
and supposedly installed.
At the end of this test no luck: asterisk not running.

Then on server # 1 First of all I purged everything including the
database and any files having to do with bbb.
Then I tried to install "asterisk_1.6.2.5-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb on AMD64
machines" manually.
First the dependencies, then the package. According to my panel, it
installed successfully with a
read out of all the files it installed. WELL Guess what no asterisk
files in etc/asterisk to do with asterisk,
just the ones from BBB cause I went ahead and installed it.

This does not make sense why it installs asterisk everywhere else but
the config files needed in etc/asterisk??

Please help as I need it badly.

Thank you,

Don

On Jul 29, 7:48 am, Fred Dixon <ffdi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> ## repository.
> ## N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as
> ## extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes
> ## newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.
> ## Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review
> ## or updates from the Ubuntu security team.
> # debhttp://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/lucid-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
> # deb-srchttp://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/lucid-backports main
> restricted universe multiverse
>
> ## Uncomment the following two lines to add software from Canonical's
> ## 'partner' repository.
> ## This software is not part of Ubuntu, but is offered by Canonical and the
> ## respective vendors as a service to Ubuntu users.

Fred Dixon

Jul 29, 2010, 11:32:49 AM7/29/10
to bigbluebu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,

Are there any errors during the installation of asterisk? We've found
that the asterisk install just works, so it's not something that we've
had to debug. The Debian VoIP team did a pretty good job with them,
but clearly something is not working for you.

We're reaching the end of what we can reasonably do with community
support. This is an asterisk problem, not a BigBlueButton problem
per se, and we're not the developers who created the asterisk
packages.

Where to go from here? You could contact one of the companies listed at

http://bigbluebutton.org/support

(I'm with Blindside Networks). Under a paid support contract, we
could log into your servers remotely and try completing the
installation of asterisk, or try setting up a duplicate environment of
yours and try it at our offices. All of which would take more time
that we could volunteer as we're primarily focused on the next
iteration of BigBlueButton for which a lot of people are always
waiting for us to finish.

If you think we can help you, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Regards,... Fred

Don Schulz

Jul 30, 2010, 11:26:40 AM7/30/10
to BigBlueButton-Setup
Hello Fred and collaobrators,

I am happy to say this issue has been solved.
The problem: asterisk config files were still on the system somehow.
Even after apt-get purge... they still were there.
I found htis out after searching the system for all installed
programs.
There were actually a few different one' s that had to be deleted
Then to a fresh install via your directions.. and SUCCESS!

So thank you to everyone that helped me get to this point.
I wanted to shout out to the BigBlueButton team ;) !!
because they went beyond the call of duty for an open source program.
I received better service from Fred and Sebastian than I have from
most paid programs.

So again thank you very much and I hope to contribute something back
to the community.

Sincerely,

Don Schulz
Real Life Education, Inc.