BBB Remote Access and Landing Page/Conference Configuration

Yoonseo Kang

May 16, 2012, 2:04:02 PM5/16/12
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey all, my name is Yoonseo; I'm working with Open Source Ecology (non-
profit inc, open-source hardware initiative), and we're setting up an
international collaboration platform based on the flash mob
methodology and using BigBlueButton as the web conferencing software.

Here's what we've done so far:

We used a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04.2 *desktop version* and
successfully followed the BBBv0.8 Ubuntu 10.04 instructional steps to
install BBB.

We tested the bbb-demo on our local network (multi-router, PPPoe base)
at 192.168.121 with successful audio, webcam video, whiteboard, file
upload, and chat. (record not tested, screen share not functional).

What we need at this point is:

Instructions on setting up remote access so that people from anywhere
in the world can access our conference (if they have internet and the
right URL emailed to them). Something to do with our ports?

Instructions on modifying the landing page and configuring the
conference settings. Something to do with the API?

I appreciate your help, you can contact me directly at
ykan...@gmail.com

Rick Timmis

May 16, 2012, 3:01:32 PM5/16/12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ykang

Well your 9/10th's of the way there. To achieve the rest you need to do two things

1.) Set up an external route to your BBB server, this will involve DNS, for example a DNS record like bbb.oshinitiative.org, which points to your external IP address (This needs ideally to be static). Then set your firewall to port forward all traffic for bbb.oshinitiative.org to your BBB server, chat with tech at your ISP if you need help with the above

2.) Next you need to configure BBB to respond to connections at the domain bbb.oshinitiative.org. This is easy open a command prompt as root and type

bbb-conf --set-ip bbb.oshinitiative.org

That should sort it out, then tell folks to point their browser to bbb.oshinitiative.org.

Here's some extra doc's

HTH

Rick

Fred Dixon

May 16, 2012, 3:02:18 PM5/16/12
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yooseo,

> we're setting up an
> international collaboration platform based on the flash mob
> methodology and using BigBlueButton as the web conferencing software.

Cool.  Your our now BFF :-).

For setting up a landing page for people to login, see also

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
BigBlueButton on twitter: @bigbluebutton