Polling Module suggestions

Anatoly Spektor

Oct 18, 2011, 4:18:04 PM10/18/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey guy's,

I am Developer from Seneca Center for Development of Open Technology,
and I am working on the Polling Module Prototype for big blue button.

I am posting my progress here - >
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/PollingModule?ts=1318961293&updated=PollingModule

I am sure many of you have some suggestions on this issues, I would
love to hear them. It is very important for me to know what are users
expectations, what is the most convenient way of polling for you,
which features should it have etc.

If you have any ideas please reply to this message.

Together we will make a difference!

Cheers,

Anatoly Spektor

Fred Dixon

Oct 18, 2011, 5:36:53 PM10/18/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Everyone,

We've started working with Seneca College to accelerate development of
BigBlueButton.

Anatoly Spektor is a student at Seneca College hired to work full-time
on BigBlueButton. He is supervised by Fardad Soleimanloo, a faculty
member at Seneca College. Fardad teaches web-based computer
programming.

You'll be able to follow Anatoly's efforts on this mailing list and on
his blog,

http://myprogrammingblog.com/category/project-bbb/

Do take a look at Anatoly's work and give him feedback.

A bit more background ...

Seneca College, located in Toronto, Ontario, is a BIG supporter of
open source. They have a Centre for Development of Open Technology

For more information on their work with popcorn.js, processing.js, and
other open source projects see

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

And you can see information on their BigBlueButton project

http://zenit.senecac.on.ca/wiki/index.php/Big_Blue_Button

Seneca College has an upcoming Free Software and Open Source Symposium
(FSOSS) conference on October 27-29th. I'll be presenting at the
symposium on Friday, October 28, at 9am about our recent work to add
record and playback to BigBlueButton. For more information on the
presentation see:

http://fsoss.senecac.on.ca/2011/node/70.

Finally, if you are employed by a University or College and reading
this e-mail, two key points:

1. We are building BigBlueButton for you
2. Like Seneca College, there are many ways to contribute to
improve BigBlueButton

If you are interested in exploring (2), contact me.

Regards,... Fred
--
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#BigBlueButton_Committer

Stéphane

Oct 19, 2011, 8:43:33 AM10/19/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hi Anatoly,

I appreciate your approach. Is there any chance to to test the current
version?

Regards, Stéphane

On Oct 18, 10:18 pm, Anatoly Spektor <spekto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guy's,
>
>  I am Developer from Seneca Center for Development of Open Technology,
> and I am working on the Polling Module Prototype for big blue button.
>
> I am posting my progress here - >http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/PollingModule?ts=13189612...

Felipe Cecagno

Oct 19, 2011, 8:52:32 AM10/19/11
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anatoly,

I didn't see in the mockup, how will the polling module be presented to the other users? Also, the poll will be opened for a certain amount of time, or until everybody votes, or what?
Congratulations for your work, it looks very good until now. :)

Regards,

--

Felipe Cecagno
   Mconf Development Team

Felipe Cecagno

Oct 19, 2011, 8:56:07 AM10/19/11
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
And what's about the results of the poll, how will it be presented? For whom? And how long?

Regards,

--

Felipe Cecagno
   Mconf Development Team

Anatoly Spektor

Oct 19, 2011, 10:12:45 AM10/19/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Felipe thank you for asking, all of this are subject to change during
the discussions and brainstorming. That is one of the reason why I
need people to be active and share their ideas. At this point the idea
is as follows:

Presenter is the person who creates the poll, when he clicks on
"Create New Poll" the poll is saved to the database (or text file,
this is not decided yet) and appended to the polling Toolbar icon.
Presenter activate poll at any time. When presenter needs to ask
something he invokes the poll (there could many of them) click "Start
Polling" and users get the POPUP polling window with the questions and
answers. Presenter on the other hand gets the refreshable page where
he can track results live. There is no limited time frame, Viewer just
clicks his answer than Submit. Also we thought about storing the
results somewhere, but its still need to be brainstormed.

Stéphane thank you for your interest. At this point of time only some
parts of client interface are integrated into module , so there is
nothing to test. Our aim is to get as many suggestions as we can,
before we make some serious developing steps, so we could satisfy
needs of users. However, we work daily in updating the module, and at
some point of time, I will definately share the link with you, so you
could test it and give your opinion on it.

On Oct 19, 8:56 am, Felipe Cecagno <fceca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And what's about the results of the poll, how will it be presented? For
> whom? And how long?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>    Felipe Cecagno
>    Mconf Development Team
>    http://mconf.org
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Felipe Cecagno <fceca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Anatoly,
>
> > I didn't see in the mockup, how will the polling module be presented to the
> > other users? Also, the poll will be opened for a certain amount of time, or
> > until everybody votes, or what?
> > Congratulations for your work, it looks very good until now. :)
>
> > Regards,
>
> > --
> >    Felipe Cecagno
> >    Mconf Development Team
> >    http://mconf.org

Stéphane

Oct 19, 2011, 1:40:37 PM10/19/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Thx for your reply. I would like to have a look, because I want to
learn how to implement a module, which can be called from the toolbar
and how the communication between the presenter and viewer works. I
want to learn something ;)

The idea is to implement a module for sharing youtube videos.

Regards, Stéphane

Anatoly Spektor

Oct 19, 2011, 2:09:08 PM10/19/11
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
I could advice you to look here: http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/PollingModule

This is the actual steps I did so far in creating a polling module, I think it will more valuable for you than looking at the actual result. Currently I am working on the issues  you are talking about, precisely how to let viewers see what presenter want them to see.  This issue is not implemented in Polling Module yet, but if you want I can keep you updated how I did that. Also if you need any kind of help please let me know, I will be pleased to help you.

Regards,

Anatoly

Hedge Hog

Oct 19, 2011, 4:52:20 PM10/19/11
On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Anatoly Spektor <spek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Felipe thank you for asking, all of this are subject  to change during
> the discussions and brainstorming. That is one of the reason why I
> need people to be active and share their ideas. At this point the idea
> is as follows:
>
>  Presenter is the person who creates the poll, when he clicks on
> "Create New Poll" the poll is saved to the database (or text file,
> this is not decided yet) and appended to the polling Toolbar icon.
> Presenter  activate poll at any time. When presenter needs to ask
> something he invokes the poll (there could many of them) click "Start
> Polling" and users get the POPUP polling window with the questions and
> answers. Presenter on the other hand gets the refreshable page where
> he can track results live. There is no limited time frame, Viewer just
> clicks his answer than Submit. Also we thought about storing the
> results somewhere, but its still need to be brainstormed.
>

> Stéphane thank you for your interest. At this point of time  only some
> parts of client interface are integrated into module , so there is
> nothing to test. Our aim is to get as many suggestions as we can,
> before we make some serious developing steps, so we could satisfy
> needs of users.

It might be worthwhile putting up feature descriptions you are
targeting/considering.
There may be other avenues, but Relish (freefor public projects)
presents Cucumber feature descriptions[1], and is worth looking at.
A slightly more complex example is here[2], cuken the project is still
being developed (0.1.x) so is not quite ready for prime time.
Initially you would be just writing plain text files in that format/style.
Those feature descriptions _can_ be executable but don't _have_ to be.
This way people can see exactly where you are up to in terms of
feature ideas and behavior.
If you make this into a public repo then they can contribute ideas and
refinements just to the feature descriptions.

HTH

[0] http://relishapp.com
[1] https://www.relishapp.com/cucumber/cucumber/docs/background
[2] http://www.onrails.org/2009/07/13/screencast-testing-flex-apps-with-cucumber-take-2

--
πόλλ' οἶδ ἀλώπηξ, ἀλλ' ἐχῖνος ἓν μέγα
[The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing.]

Anatoly Spektor

Nov 18, 2011, 10:33:28 AM11/18/11
to BigBlueButton-dev
Hey guys!

Thank you all for your suggestions, to give you a broader picture on
the Module I am developing and of the features it already posses, I
have made a demo video:

Video is located at the bottom of this wiki page:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/PollingModule?ts=1321629700&updated=PollingModule
(switch to 720p to get better picture)

If you are interested please watch it and give me your feedback.

Thanks!

Anatoly Spektor

On Oct 19, 3:52 pm, Hedge Hog <hedgehogshia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Anatoly Spektor <spekto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Felipe thank you for asking, all of this are subject  to change during
> > the discussions and brainstorming. That is one of the reason why I
> > need people to be active and share their ideas. At this point the idea
> > is as follows:
>
> >  Presenter is the person who creates the poll, when he clicks on
> > "Create New Poll" the poll is saved to the database (or text file,

> > this is not decided yet) and appended to thepollingToolbar icon.

> > Presenter  activate poll at any time. When presenter needs to ask
> > something he invokes the poll (there could many of them) click "Start

> >Polling" and users get the POPUPpollingwindow with the questions and

> > answers. Presenter on the other hand gets the refreshable page where
> > he can track results live. There is no limited time frame, Viewer just
> > clicks his answer than Submit. Also we thought about storing the
> > results somewhere, but its still need to be brainstormed.
>
> > Stéphane thank you for your interest. At this point of time  only some
> > parts of client interface are integrated into module , so there is
> > nothing to test. Our aim is to get as many suggestions as we can,
> > before we make some serious developing steps, so we could satisfy
> > needs of users.
>
> It might be worthwhile putting up feature descriptions you are
> targeting/considering.
> There may be other avenues, but Relish (freefor public projects)
> presents Cucumber feature descriptions[1], and is worth looking at.
> A slightly more complex example is here[2], cuken the project is still
> being developed (0.1.x) so is not quite ready for prime time.
> Initially you would be just writing plain text files in that format/style.
> Those feature descriptions _can_ be executable but don't _have_ to be.
> This way people can see exactly where you are up to in terms of
> feature ideas and behavior.
> If you make this into a public repo then they can contribute ideas and
> refinements just to the feature descriptions.
>
> HTH
>
> [0]http://relishapp.com
> [1]https://www.relishapp.com/cucumber/cucumber/docs/background

> [2]http://www.onrails.org/2009/07/13/screencast-testing-flex-apps-with-c...

> > However, we work daily in updating the module, and at
> > some point of time, I will definately share the link with you, so you
> > could test it and give your opinion on it.
>
> > On Oct 19, 8:56 am, Felipe Cecagno <fceca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> And what's about the results of the poll, how will it be presented? For
> >> whom? And how long?
>
> >> Regards,
>
> >> --
> >>    Felipe Cecagno
> >>    Mconf Development Team
> >>    http://mconf.org

Fred Dixon

Nov 18, 2011, 11:55:22 AM11/18/11
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anatoly,

You've certainly made good progress on the polling module. A few
comments after watching the video

1. Are you using the built-in radio buttons for Flex? The example
for selecting only one choice looked like normal buttons, not radio
buttons

2. Suggest you put a message underneath the Answers field:

Hint: Put each answer on a separate line.

This way user's don't have to discover the way to enter in answers.
Suggest not requiring the '*' as well.

3. Translation -- We need to add a mechanism in BigBlueButton for
external modules to also have their own localization files. At the
moment, all the localization strings are in BigBlueButton itself.
This isn't going to be a problem for testing and prototyping -- or
merging in the polling module to core and add the language strings to
BigBlueButton core -- but at some point if we want to have a vibrant
community of 3rd party components. See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=294

Again Anatoly, good work so far!

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer
http://bigbluebutton.org/

Anatoly Spektor

Nov 18, 2011, 12:34:29 PM11/18/11
to bigblueb...@googlegroups.com
Hey Fred thanks for your comments!

For the first question : I am using the mx:RadioButtons and that is
how they look like. I can probably find the way to change them to normal
ones.

About putting each answer on a separate line: I was thinking about
doing that, but after several brainstorm sessions we realized, that it
could be more eye catchy for user to use some delimiter ('*' in my
example). Also questions could be long( multiline) and not to make
TextArea hugely big, I thought it could be a good compromise. Thus user
can see where his answer starts/ends, and also can have multi-line
answers . But again this delimiter, can be changed to the new line
character, if needed. Also, I will definitely put a Hint after the
Answer field, not to confuse users.

And lastly about the translation. I was definitely thinking about
this issue, and I'v decided that I will definitely get back to it as
soon as the whole module is in the working order.

Thanks again for your comments,

Anatoly Spektor