Re: New IO addon board (was: Re: How fast can you do GPIO?)

Andrew Scheller

Sep 20, 2011, 7:57:55 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
> my perspective the microcontroller power
> consumption would be negligeable.
>
> Also, if the user configures the device to source
> power from the 6 GPIO's and turns on the LED
> while at 16 MPIS then the whole thing will consume
> about 150mA or maybe even more.
>
> So the consumed power will depend heavily on
> what the user is doing with the board.

What happens if your board tries to suck more 3V3 power than the
bifferboard is able to provide?

> I do agree that it should be kept simple and intuitive,
> although I would not worry about it taking on a life of
> its own as the Bifferboard will always be better
> connected to the outside world (in my case Internet,
> storage, etc).

Heh, so is your board an add-on to the Bifferboard, or is the
Bifferboard an add-on to your board? ;-)

> I was thinking about the user being able to store
> the configuration permanently in the internal
> PIC EEPROM. This way the pins would always
> boot up in the desired state without the risk of
> any of them outputing some spurious signals
> comming from the console mirror.
>
> ... but I do like the idea of having the console
> mirror available after a reset... I guess I should
> think some more about it.

I guess it'd be okay if the save-config-to-eeprom was a specific
command the user had to issue (i.e. it didn't happen automatically),
so that by default a reset /would/ re-instate mirror-mode.

> Do you know of any self-programmable PIC16
> model that you might like to see on a board
> like this one?

Absolutely no idea! I'm not at all familiar with different PIC
hardware. I've only ever used the PIC24 that comes on the Explorer16
board, and a PIC16 on a strip-board that a friend made for me.

Lurch

"Rogério Rilhas (GMAIL)"

Sep 20, 2011, 9:00:28 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
> What happens if your board tries to suck more 3V3 power than the
> bifferboard is able to provide?

Well, in that case the fabric of space and time will collapse
and it will be the end of our Universe. But I'm a cautious guy
and I already bought some land on a Universe nearby.

Let's hope then that nobody tries to draw more from the
Bifferboard than what it can provide. I'll keep my fingers
crossed!

Of course usually voltage goes down when current
demand is too great, and maybe that is enough to restart
the PIC and restore it to idle mode (possibly even in a
special safe mode because the PIC can know that it restarted
due to low voltage). Or maybe the Bifferboard restarts
first. Who knows? Anyway, if I were you I would look for
an alternative Universe to live in, just in case.

> Heh, so is your board an add-on to the Bifferboard, or is the
> Bifferboard an add-on to your board? ;-)

I like to think of it more like a marriage: the Bifferboard
will do all the cooking and the board will throw out the trash.

> I guess it'd be okay if the save-config-to-eeprom was a specific
> command the user had to issue (i.e. it didn't happen automatically),
> so that by default a reset /would/ re-instate mirror-mode.

Yup, I fully agree with that! The short on the pins would
then help restore to a default configuration. So, after the
user saves a bad configuration functionality can still be
restored (things like resetting the magic token or
recovering the mirror-mode as you mentioned).

Andrew Scheller

Sep 20, 2011, 9:16:33 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
>> What happens if your board tries to suck more 3V3 power than the
>> bifferboard is able to provide?
> Well, in that case the fabric of space and time will collapse
> and it will be the end of our Universe. But I'm a cautious guy

Uh-oh! Maybe your board could be used to help look for the Higgs boson?

>> Heh, so is your board an add-on to the Bifferboard, or is the Bifferboard
>> an add-on to your board? ;-)
> I like to think of it more like a marriage: the Bifferboard
> will do all the cooking and the board will throw out the trash.

LOL! Have you come up with a funky codename for your board yet? Every
cool project needs a funky name.

Lurch

richard....@btinternet.com

Sep 20, 2011, 9:21:50 AM9/20/11
to Bifferboard
I have used these on the USB port for expansion:
http://www.ck3.co.uk/minimus-avr-usb-development-board.html

Uses standard USB drivers, has built in bootloader, uses 5V supply,
and sensible price.

"Rogério Rilhas (GMAIL)"

Sep 20, 2011, 9:36:49 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com

> Uh-oh! Maybe your board could be used to help look for the Higgs boson?

... naaa... the board will be busy, let the Higgs boson
show itself to the board instead! :-)

> LOL! Have you come up with a funky codename for your board yet? Every
> cool project needs a funky name. Lurch

You're right! It deserves better than some stupid
code name like RBBC-327. Any ideas?

"Rogério Rilhas (GMAIL)"

Sep 20, 2011, 9:44:00 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com, richard....@btinternet.com

> I have used these on the USB port for expansion:
> http://www.ck3.co.uk/minimus-avr-usb-development-board.html
>
> Uses standard USB drivers, has built in bootloader, uses 5V supply,
> and sensible price.

... that sure looks hard to beat... that is the price
I pay for the USB chip alone!

I'm developing this board for my domotics project,
where the USB will have to remain available. Sure,
I could use a USB hub, or a 2 port Bifferboard, but
there is something about an integrated solution
(inside the Bifferboard's case) that I like a lot. Plus
being able to control it from the console is very
attractive to me.

Still, that AVR module is very interesting!

Andrew Scheller

Sep 20, 2011, 11:22:13 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
>> LOL! Have you come up with a funky codename for your board yet? Every cool
>> project needs a funky name. Lurch
> You're right! It deserves better than some stupid
> code name like RBBC-327. Any ideas?

RogerIO ? ;)
roGPIO

Lurch

Andrew Scheller

Sep 20, 2011, 11:25:58 AM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
> I have used these on the USB port for expansion:
> http://www.ck3.co.uk/minimus-avr-usb-development-board.html
>
> Uses standard USB drivers, has built in bootloader, uses 5V supply,
> and sensible price.

Thanks for the link. Just ordered a Minimus and a Minimus32 :)
Might add some stuff to the BB wiki after I've received them and
played with them for a bit. Is there a particular "starting firmware"
you'd recommend?

Lurch

"Rogério Rilhas (GMAIL)"

Sep 20, 2011, 12:00:41 PM9/20/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com

>> You're right! It deserves better than some stupid
>> code name like RBBC-327. Any ideas?
> RogerIO ? ;)
> roGPIO

LOLLLL!!!! Brilliant!!! :-)

richard....@btinternet.com

Sep 20, 2011, 3:57:31 PM9/20/11
to Bifferboard
I suggest to first go to Dean's LUFA site:
http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/LUFA.php

The library there is very complete and has plenty of examples.

Dean is a real 'Biff' class guy and has to credited with making USB as
simple as serial.

The device example for virtual serial is probably most easy to start.

Any problems just ask.

Andrew Scheller

Sep 24, 2011, 1:31:20 PM9/24/11
to biffe...@googlegroups.com
> I suggest to first go to Dean's LUFA site:
> http://www.fourwalledcubicle.com/LUFA.php
>
> The library there is very complete and has plenty of examples.
>
> Dean is a real 'Biff' class guy and has to credited with making USB as
> simple as serial.

Received my minimus on Thursday, and I've already got my first
LUFA-based (non-Bifferboard) project working :)
https://groups.google.com/group/lufa-support/browse_thread/thread/b38c7e50063559a2

LUFA (and all its code examples) are indeed very comprehensive.

Need to get the code tidied up and uploaded somewhere, and then I'll
start playing with using the minimus in conjunction with
bifferboard...

Rogerio - the board only runs at 5V, and there's no ADC or I2C, so
there's still a gap in the market for your board ;)

Lurch