[bifferboard] New kernel patches and udev

Ivan Zahariev (famzah)

Apr 21, 2010, 8:20:14 AM4/21/10
to Bifferboard
Hi guys,

Today I've compiled kernels 2.6.30.5 and 2.6.32 by applying all
available patches in the SVN repository. As a result, when Bifferboard
booted with the new kernels, "udev" couldn't start up well and gave
out the following errors:

udevd-event[1526]: node_symlink: symlink(../ttyv7, /dev/char/
3:103.udev-tmp) failed: No space left on device

There were many similar messages.

It turned out that the tmpfs mount "/dev" ran out of free inodes
(there was enough disk space, but no free inodes).

Without the patches, udev needs about 700 inodes (i.e. it detects/
creates about 700 files in "/dev").
With the patches, udev needs about 4200 inodes (i.e. it detects/
creates about 4200 files in "/dev").

Udevd is version 125 (0.125-7+lenny3).

You can check if you have free inodes for udev "/dev" by executing "df
-i".

Did I miss something out? Do you have similar experience?

Best regards.
--famzah

--
You received this because you are subscribed to the "Bifferboard" Google group - honest!

biff...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 21, 2010, 9:16:55 AM4/21/10
to Bifferboard

On Apr 21, 1:20 pm, "Ivan Zahariev (famzah)" <fam...@famzah.net>
wrote:
> It turned out that the tmpfs mount "/dev" ran out of free inodes
> (there was enough disk space, but no free inodes).
>
> Did I miss something out? Do you have similar experience?

Why put tmpfs on /dev when you only have 32MB RAM? It seems like a
pointless waste of memory, just for the sake of making devices come up
fractionally faster.

Biff.

Ivan Zahariev (famzah)

Apr 21, 2010, 1:34:39 PM4/21/10
to Bifferboard
Hm, good point. Memory "tmpfs" is the default one and I've never tried
to mount /dev on the disk on a modern Linux system. It takes about 4MB
on my Debian.
Reading your words, maybe I should give it a try.

Nevertheless, how many files do you have in your /dev now?

biff...@yahoo.co.uk

Apr 21, 2010, 4:18:34 PM4/21/10
to Bifferboard

I have 2647 files on my slackware /dev. When I first booted slackware
I had similar issues:
http://groups.google.com/group/bifferboard/browse_thread/thread/eed175efeb28ad75/1f5ce4db1287f53f

I had to disable the tmpfs to ensure no problems, and this is how the
slackware tarball was setup.

cheers,
Biff.

On Apr 21, 6:34 pm, "Ivan Zahariev (famzah)" <fam...@famzah.net>