Vale Sheldon Brown

Grant White

Feb 4, 2008, 5:21:33 PM2/4/08
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

Sadly, Sheldon Brown has passed away. There's a bit more at http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/index.html

granty

MichaelH

Feb 4, 2008, 7:32:08 PM2/4/08
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I have been wondering for some time why we haven't heard his voice and
perhaps he has only been visiting the ibob list, which I don't look
at. I feel for his family. W will all mis his knowledge, wisdom, and
wit.

Michael
Westford, Vt

Peter Jon White

Feb 5, 2008, 11:21:40 AM2/5/08
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Sheldon was a good friend. We had only met once, at the wedding of two
friends, when I emailed him with a question about setting up a
website. That was in December of 1996, and he suggested I come by for
a tutorial. I spent an evening at his home, getting a lesson in HTML.
A few weeks later, my site went up. In recent years his health was
poor. When I saw him last at the Interbike trade show, he was using a
motorized wheelchair to get around, but he was always in good spirits.
He was one of those folks who always had interesting observations. You
were always interested in what he had to say. He'll be missed by many
people.

So long, Sheldon.

ken

Feb 5, 2008, 12:53:40 PM2/5/08
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Sheldon--along with Peter, of course--was remarkably kind to me with
all my unimaginably stupid questions. He showed a childlike enthusiasm
for cycling that helped subvert all the high tech, professional-driven
hype. I last saw Sheldon last spring, when I test rode his Rohloff-
driven bike he build over at Harris. It had two sets of handlebars
(why not? one for mountain bikes, one for road bikes). It's that funky
kind of stuff that he was always doing that flew in the face of
convention and which makes cycling so attractive. We'll miss you,
Sheldon.
Ken