IQ headlights have arrived

Peter Jon White

Dec 4, 2007, 10:28:08 PM12/4/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
My shipment of new headlights from Busch & M üller arrived today. The
Lumotec IQ Fly looks about the same as the Lumotec Fly, but has a
rather bright LED and optics similar to the Inolight.

There are four models for hub dynamos, and two for tire driven
dynamos. The Ixon IQ has the same form factor as the Ixon; 4 AA
batteries, charger that plugs directly into the light, same mounts and
compatibility with the Ride & Charge.

The Ixon IQ Speed has the same form actor as the Ixon Speed, and uses
the same battery pack and charger. You can have an Ixon Speed, and an
Ixon IQ Speed both running simultaneously off the same battery.

The difference in both Ixon IQ and Ixon IQ Speed from their less
expensive older siblings is the increased light output, and precisely
focused beams.

I've shot some video with me and Linda shining various lights down the
driveway for comparison. It's rather illuminating. GAG! I'll put up a
post once it's on the site.

WillemJ

Dec 5, 2007, 8:44:18 AM12/5/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
You are whetting our appetite. I am sure we all really want to see
those pictures of your driveway... The arrival of the IQ lights marks
an important moment. For the first time a mass produced led bicycle
light is clearly superior to Halogen in just about all respects. It
also marks the moment that one can have abundant rather than cleverly
adequate light from a generator. It also marks th emoment that any
talk of 12V generators will stop: an ordinary SON can power two IQ's
ar all speeds. SInce this is only the beginning, there is much to be
said in favour of a SON 20 for one's next wheel, with even less
resistance. That can easliy power one IQ, and in a year or two from
now the current IQ's sucessor is bound to offer two as much light
again for the same minimal effort. The days of environmentally harmful
battery lights are truly over, I think.
Willem

Lynne Fitz

Dec 5, 2007, 3:31:08 PM12/5/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I shall be camping by my mailbox...

Peter Jon White wrote:
> My shipment of new headlights from Busch & M �ller arrived today. The

eddi...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2007, 6:56:12 PM12/5/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Peter, can you elaborate on the specs posted on your site? It says the
new Ixon IQ has high power of 40 lux and low of 10 lux, compared to
the original Ixon with 14/10 respectively. Is that correct?

Also, a friend of mine whose Ixon caliper bracket broke wrote to B&M
and they sent him the Big Bang bracket, which has worked well. Are you
going to stock? My two Ixon caliper brackets have not broken but both
have play. I've tightened the underside screw as much as possible, and
they still rattles and the light bounces ever so slightly in the mount
as I ride, using 70-p.s.i. 650b tires .

Ed Felker
Arlington, VA
> pot once it's on the site.

Peter Jon White

Dec 10, 2007, 2:13:50 PM12/10/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On Dec 5, 6:56 pm, "eddie...@gmail.com" <eddie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter, can you elaborate on the specs posted on your site? It says the
> new Ixon IQ has high power of 40 lux and low of 10 lux, compared to
> the original Ixon with 14/10 respectively. Is that correct?
>
> Also, a friend of mine whose Ixon caliper bracket broke wrote to B&M
> and they sent him the Big Bang bracket, which has worked well. Are you
> going to stock? My two Ixon caliper brackets have not broken but both
> have play. I've tightened the underside screw as much as possible, and
> they still rattles and the light bounces ever so slightly in the mount
> as I ride, using 70-p.s.i. 650b tires .
>
> Ed Felker
> Arlington, VA

Sorry for the delays. It's been just bonkers here lately. More data
soon. I promise!

Scott G.

Dec 11, 2007, 10:07:07 AM12/11/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
How do you wire an IQ Fly and a secondary Lumotec ?
I hooked them up in series, the Lumotec is dim at speeds
dual Lumotecs are at full brightness.

Scott G.

WillemJ

Jan 16, 2008, 10:14:47 AM1/16/08
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Did you find a solution or explanation, Scott? I had a similar problem
with the dlumotec and an E6Z., which I was unable to solve.
I found this article by Andreas Oehler, the tech guru at Schmidt:
http://www.fahrradzukunft.de/fz-0704/0704-05.htm in German, I am
afraid. Also, I wonder how the IQ Fly shots at Peter's driveway worked
out.
Willem

Scott G.

Jan 16, 2008, 10:48:55 AM1/16/08
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On Jan 16, 10:14 am, WillemJ <willem.jong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you find a solution or explanation, Scott? I had a similar problem
> with the dlumotec and an E6Z., which I was unable to solve.

Nope, just using the IQ light right now.

Scott G.