iPad Navigation

David Lewis

Oct 28, 2010, 2:40:50 PM10/28/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_731073685392_8107236_40681542_687550_n.jpg

I found this mount today in Heidelberg. It allows me to test the proof-
of-concept of iPad navigation. For the 3 minute ride today in the
dark, it was exhilarating! So far the only drawback is it is not
easily removeable.

More to follow.

David

Martin Bernstein

Oct 28, 2010, 3:21:09 PM10/28/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David. You just might have given me he excuse I needed to get an iPad.  Garmin's ok but the viewing field is too small.  What's their website?

Not only that GPS, but I can also read my fav. book.

PBrid...@aol.com

Oct 28, 2010, 9:28:59 PM10/28/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com

Excellent!!  55 hours a week in front of a screen at work, and now I can have one on the bike too!

Email on the bike.  What a slice of paradise.

Montclair BobbyB

Oct 29, 2010, 10:53:11 PM10/29/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
"Danger, Will Robinson... Danger"...

Let's get real, here... Are your rides THAT boring that you need to
risk life and limb (including those you'll nearly plow into because
your eyes are no longer on the road)? Sure it's techie and way cool,
but DUDE... I mean really? You're setting an awful example, here.
The folks at Wired will love you, but as a cycling advocate (and I'm
sure others will agree) ....big thumbs down... sorry!!

Safe Riding... (and watch the road please)...I hope you're not reading
this on your bike.

BB

On Oct 28, 9:28 pm, PBridge...@aol.com wrote:
> Excellent!!  55 hours a week in front of a screen at work, and now I  can
> have one on the bike too!
>
> Email on the bike.  What a slice of paradise.
>
> _http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_73107368...
> 107236_40681542_687550_n.jpg_
> (http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_73107368...)

Martin Bernstein

Oct 30, 2010, 3:26:22 AM10/30/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
i would think you'd want to get awqay from it all.

David Lewis

Oct 30, 2010, 3:36:32 AM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I agree. I encourage all responsible safe cyclists to write to their
congressmen and demand laws that criminalize maps, and all map
mounting hardware.

If you think I plan to surf the internet at 45kph you are missing the
point. I have been carrying my iPhone in my pocket and either having
to stop to check where the hell I am, or fiddle with it while moving.
It's also way too small for something to glance at casually.

Plus, with the iPad, on a tour I can upload photos from a camera SD
card and post them online, or just back them up. Since I can power it
up with a hub dynamo (which goes otherwise unused in daylight) why not
also load TomTom like on my iPhone and use it for a map?

I ride fast, and it's annoying to have to stop... Plus, it's the 21st
century!

David

On Oct 30, 4:53 am, Montclair BobbyB <montclairbob...@gmail.com>

Martin Bernstein

Oct 30, 2010, 3:45:03 AM10/30/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
yep.  keep that in mind when you run someone down because your intent on the 21st cen.  I hope you''re not riding in So Cal.

Montclair BobbyB

Oct 30, 2010, 8:36:31 AM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
His tombstone shall read:

David Lewis
21st Century Speedster
Mobile Emailer
Blind Visionary
Died Too Young... R.I.P.

Turn OFF the phone before the ride, Dave... Ride slow... take a lady
with you and a bottle of wine (I assume you're 21)... smell the smells
along the way... LIVE.....

Peace to you bro, BB

Martin Bernstein

Oct 30, 2010, 12:08:15 PM10/30/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
The county fathers in their infinite wisdom have cracked down on cycles speeding  The official speed in 10. Don''t know how that would figure into your plans in Orange Cnty, CA

David Lewis

Oct 30, 2010, 5:35:43 PM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Taken today, you can just make out the iPad:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs786.snc4/66625_731523449062_8107236_40689175_8193763_n.jpg

I am a U.S. servicemember in Germany. I am not an old man.

Even rural roads in Germany usually have bike lanes that are
physically separated from cars. I can ride as fast as I want, safely.
I hate stopping to check my map or GPS. All the slowpokes I passed end
up catching up to me!

That said, I spent the entire afternoon riding around the Odenwald
today with the Trails app from the App Store. It is a "live" Topo map
with all the mountain trails marked. I would probably use Tom Tom on
the road. Tom Tom works awesome in the car!

David

P.S.
I thought this was a bicycle lifestyle group, and I joined because I
want to learn more about touring and traveling by bicycle, which I
have done but not extensively and not for ultra long distances.
Navigation is essential, whether it's by map or memory, so considering
the technology being developed which revolutionizes this aspect of the
tour, I would think there would be folks reading this that would be
getting excited about it. This does not seem to be the case.

I used to race mountain bikes in the early 90s with the bike I bought
as a paperboy. Bicycling is in my blood and bicycles are better now
than ever, excluding the Walmart clunkers that have always been
around. I know that there's a movement of making faux 1970s bikes and
there's a half dozen websites selling all the parts you could ever
want. I like the spirit, and I value the expertise, but I don't
remember the bikes of the 1970s because I was just a little boy then.
There's no emotional connection.

I know the danger of getting so wrapped up in the little things that
the big picture gets lost. I am in this for the adventure, and I think
that the iPad I already own has the potential of making the journey
even more enjoyable. Think about how at the end of the day, I can just
email my GPS log to my friends/family to let them know how my trip is
going! I can GPS log an entire tour automagically!

Food for thought/Denkanstoß

On Oct 30, 6:08 pm, Martin Bernstein <centri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The county fathers in their infinite wisdom have cracked down on cycles
> speeding  The official speed in 10. Don''t know how that would figure into
> your plans in Orange Cnty, CA
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Montclair BobbyB <montclairbob...@gmail.com
> > .

Kenny

Oct 30, 2010, 10:17:44 PM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On Oct 30, 3:35 pm, David Lewis <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S.
> I thought this was a bicycle lifestyle group, and I joined because I
> want to learn more about touring and traveling by bicycle, which I
> have done but not extensively and not for ultra long distances.
> Navigation is essential, whether it's by map or memory, so considering
> the technology being developed which revolutionizes this aspect of the
> tour, I would think there would be folks reading this that would be
> getting excited about it. This does not seem to be the case.

An iPad (basically a big screen GPS) revolutionizing navigation? If
you say so. Like you suggest, I am not excited. Personally, I think
you ought to be able to routinely remember the next 3 turns or so
unless you are in a race mode so you shouldn't have to check your cell
phone, GPS etc. often enough for it to be an irritation. Being able to
remember those turns is a navigation skill too. Being able to
anticipate a turn is vital skill for anyone traveling a roadway, it
lets you get positioned for changes in traffic flow etc. instead
getting surprised by a unexpected entrance ramp etc. But we all like
our toys.

Kenny

Peter F

Oct 30, 2010, 10:23:53 PM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Gentlemen!

Let's go a little easy on David here! I've seen endless discussions
on all the bike groups about which gps system is best, which map mount
to use, etc etc. Seems to me he's just taking the next logical step.
Certainly the first thing I thought when I saw an iPad was, wow,
that's going to be great for mapping software!

Like David, it annoys me a great deal to have to pull my phone out of
my pocket, squint at it's tiny screen, worry about running the battery
down with the GPS function so that it doesn't actually work when I
need the phone. And I love paper maps as much as the next luddite,
but I don't always have the exact one I need or at the scale I'd
need. Being able to glance down at a self-scrolling, hi tech topo map
of where I am that shows me as much or more info than a paper map
folded on my handlebars sounds like a dream to me.

And if you'll all notice, he didn't say a think about checking his
email on the fly, watching movies, checking his stocks, etc. So
honestly, how much more dangerous is it for him to look down at a map
on the iPad than it is to look down at a paper map, or heck, to reach
the down tube shifters on your vintage old frame you don't ride too
much any more, or taking a swig from that water bottle while riding no
hands. Seriously, people.

Thanks, David, for trying out the new techniques and pushing the
envelope a bit here. I appreciate your experimentation. Of course,
here in NYC, a non-removable iPad on a bike does sound like a bad idea
for completely different reasons; kind of like leaving a $500 in cash
taped to your rack for the taking.

Peter
NYC

On Oct 30, 5:35 pm, David Lewis <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Taken today, you can just make out the iPad:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs786.snc4/66625_73152344...

Montclair BobbyB

Oct 30, 2010, 10:49:57 PM10/30/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
David:

The beauty of living in the free world is that you CAN make your own
choices... so good for you.
And THANK YOU for your service to your country... I mean that
sincerely.
So I admire your sense of adventure and tenacity... As for your
judgment?... well 2 out of 3....

Keep reaching... don't let my old-fartedness slow you down.

(Note to other posters... whew... lucky he's in Germany...) Just
kidding, David!!

Peace,
BB

On Oct 30, 5:35 pm, David Lewis <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Taken today, you can just make out the iPad:http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs786.snc4/66625_73152344...

Martin Bernstein

Oct 31, 2010, 7:47:02 AM10/31/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I don't see any thing wrong with using the iPad as navaid. But all the oither stuff, emails &such, I would think is veboten.

jimmycoffill

Nov 1, 2010, 7:13:18 AM11/1/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
it would be tough to pedal enough to keep it charged. I use the iPhone
tied into my dynamo. I have to pedal pretty good to keep it charged.

On Oct 31, 6:47 am, Martin Bernstein <centri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see any thing wrong with using the iPad as navaid. But all the
> oither stuff, emails &such, I would think is *veboten.*
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM, David Lewis
> <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Taken today, you can just make out the iPad:
>
> >http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs786.snc4/66625_73152344...

Martin Bernstein

Nov 1, 2010, 8:42:05 AM11/1/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, misspelled, verboten

littlecirclesvt.com :: mike beganyi

Dec 20, 2010, 2:09:50 PM12/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Here's someone using it as an in ride entertainment center:

http://www.bikecommuters.com/2010/12/16/sangres-lightcycle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BikeCommuters+%28Bike+Commuters%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

RAM Mount:

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx

On Oct 28, 1:40 pm, David Lewis <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_73107368...
>
> I found this mount today in Heidelberg. It allows me to test the proof-
> of-concept ofiPadnavigation. For the 3 minute ride today in the

WillemJ

Dec 20, 2010, 6:00:23 PM12/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I use computers a lot, but I love real maps, and I really know how to
use them. And I think getting lost is all part of why I like touring.
I recently had a great time with my then 10 year old son touring and
camping in Luxemburg. Together we looked at the maps and together we
decided on the roads to take. Together we made mistakes, and together
we had to live with the consequences of another 10 miles of hard
climbing at the end of a tough day. Think of me as a romantic, but
then so is my boy. So thus far gps is not for me, although I can see
it lets you venture into trails you might not otherwise try, and that
would be great.
As for the practicalities of an ipad on my bike: it is too heavy to my
taste (I like touring ultralight), and it is not waterproof. It does
rain in my part of the world. And how about vibrations? For me, less
is more.
Willem

On Dec 20, 8:09 pm, "littlecirclesvt.com :: mike beganyi"
<mike.bega...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's someone using it as an in ride entertainment center:
>
> http://www.bikecommuters.com/2010/12/16/sangres-lightcycle/?utm_sourc...
>
> RAM Mount:
>
> http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Defau...

Martin Bernstein

Dec 20, 2010, 6:42:42 PM12/20/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Frankly, that has got to be the most stupid set-up any cyclist of any caliber can have.

Kelly Sleeper

Dec 20, 2010, 7:34:35 PM12/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Just because you might or would run someone down doesn't mean he
will. Just because you can't do something safely doesn't mean nobody
can.

As for people setting examples get a life and live it... don't worry
abouit setting an example for cycling or any group.. on set examples
that you feel the need to.

Advocates are just people without credability as they have blinders
on.

Kelly
> > http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_73107368...
> > http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs396.ash2/67421_73107368...)
> >
> > --
> > .

Martin Bernstein

Dec 20, 2010, 7:56:32 PM12/20/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Blah!   He may do as he please.  The fact that he's posting tells me he's looking for applause.  Or some kinda reaction. So, he gets negative reaction, or maybe applause.

Blah says I.  BLAH

Shasta Mike

Dec 20, 2010, 8:25:29 PM12/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Come on Martin - lighten up please! For God's sake man, get out of
the judgment gig and maybe go for a ride. I toured last year with two
guys who had GPS and I lived with my maps. From my experience when
you are traveling in locales you are not familiar with a GPS is
golden. We would never have found the bike trails we did. We would
have ended up out in middle of nowhere at least one night. And, it
saved my sorry butt from pedaling way farther than I wanted to several
times. So even though my two companions also had notebook computers
and every time they could, took the chance to connect and even though
it sometimes drove me a little nutty when they were doing it at the
campground, I say if someone wants to use a Ipad to navigate with, let
them. And, I really do want to hear about it even if I have no
intention of using his setup. I might, however, think up something
else clever that was sparked by David's seemingly crazy idea.

Peace everyone....

On Dec 20, 5:56 pm, Martin Bernstein <centri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Blah*!   He may do as he please.  The fact that he's posting tells me he's
> looking for applause.  Or some kinda reaction. So, he gets negative
> reaction, or maybe applause.
>
> *Blah says I.  BLAH*
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Kelly Sleeper <tkslee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just because you might or would run someone down doesn't mean he
> > will.  Just because you can't do something safely doesn't mean nobody
> > can.
>
> > As for people setting examples get a life and live it... don't worry
> > abouit setting an example for cycling or any group.. on set examples
> > that you feel the need to.
>
> > Advocates are just people without credability as they have blinders
> > on.
>
> > Kelly
>
> > Martin Bernstein wrote:
> > > yep.  keep that in mind when you run someone down because your intent on
> > the
> > > 21st cen.  I hope you''re not riding in So Cal.
>
> > > On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:36 AM, David Lewis
> > > <david.matthew.le...@gmail.com>wrote:
> > <bicyclelifestyle%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com<bicyclelifestyle%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>

Martin Bernstein

Dec 20, 2010, 8:36:50 PM12/20/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Boy, Shasta,  You missed the point of my scorn.

Peter Leiss

Dec 20, 2010, 8:38:56 PM12/20/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I have to agree with Martin. This IPad mount is a tad over the top don't you think. However each to their own and it is pretty cool to see the ingenuity that went into the mount, lights and power source
I just won't be riding anywhere too close when if I see this kind of distraction. As for what people carry on rides that is their choice.

Merry Christmas

Peter

littlecirclesvt.com :: mike beganyi

Dec 20, 2010, 9:45:22 PM12/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
All, just to be clear, the ipad craziness I posted is not mine.
Closest I've come to that on a bike is in my camping kit and it is
called the ' iPooed' collapsible shovel.

I didn't want too bring back a dead thread, but thought the mount may
have been useful for the original poster.

Martin Bernstein

Dec 20, 2010, 10:27:07 PM12/20/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Peter.

David Lewis

Dec 21, 2010, 1:37:02 AM12/21/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I have made some observations. 1: Weathersealing is important. 2: iPad
is an energy hog. 3: The iPhone is almost as good.

Because of some clerical error (not on my part, I swear!), my repaired
"Der Plug" from Tout-Terrain could not be returned to me via Post, so
I drove to their facility in Gundelfingen. While I was there I bought
the iPhone 4 bike mount and the special docking cable. I started using
my iPhone on the handlebars as I imagined I would use my iPad, and it
is 75% the same experience.

Not done disproving myself, I ordered a Tankrucksack from Ortlieb,
which is waterproof and is the perfect size for an iPad. I'm still
figuring out how I will mount it to my Racktime Topit rack, but that
is beside the point; I strapped it down for a test ride. This product
is the missing link! With the exception of the lack of a mounting
solution, it is the right size and weather-resistance. Kept on the
front rack, there is little to no temptation to watch Family Guy. It
reflectivity is an issue for me (with the bright sky above), but the
vinyl map pocket is several times thicker - and hopefully tougher -
than any bicycle bag map pocket, and is a perfect fit for the iPad.

The iPad is too power-hungry for a hub dynamo. Forget about this. The
iPhone charges at moderate speeds, unless it is competing with an
Edelux.

Hey, who's got a solution for squealing Avid BB7 brakes? It sounds
like a freight train emergency brake if I stop when it's wet and/or
cold.

heinrich schulz

Dec 21, 2010, 7:37:19 AM12/21/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Agreed. I have used both maps and gps. A gps is best at telling where
you are
and amap is best at planning where you want to go. I've toured all
over and for me I pretty
much know where I am but which way to go is the more demanding
task. Both a gps and a map are miniature recreation of the real
world. Best to understand the real thing. And there's more to planning
than
topography. One wants interest, scenery, support, and the right level
of
challenge. Yup, the best spots are usually 'off the map'.

Piaw Na(蓝俊彪)

Dec 21, 2010, 10:52:02 AM12/21/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
You can't use GPS units with your brain turned off if you want to
extract maximum advantage. The trick is to use both maps and GPS in
conjunction. When I discovered that my tours got a lot more fun and I
found a lot of great "roads".

> --

Piaw Na
http://piaw.blogspot.com
http://books.piaw.net

David Lewis

Dec 22, 2010, 2:04:52 PM12/22/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Off the map, exactly! If you want to know the "true" reason I am
pursuing this: I don't generally ride on paved automobile-traffic
roads. In Germany, one can ride virtually border-to-border on wooded
hiking roads, which are closed to automobiles. I imagine that a lot of
these trails are ancient, and like medieval city-centers have no
logical layout. Sometimes they follow contour lines or major
thoroughfares, but that's definitely not a rule. This is strictly NOT
mountain biking though, as these are often gravel and sometimes
crudely paved, even up into the mountains. But they are "nicht geräumt
und nich gestreut", meaning not plowed or salted by the municipality
in the winter.

It is more exploring than navigating that I do, and applications like
Trails on the iPad keep me from being eaten by wild animals after
getting lost in the bush. I am from Upstate New York, a different
country than Baden-Württemberg or Franken but similarly rural.
However, any woodline in New York is usually plastered with "POSTED:
No Trespassing" signs, and cycling is looked at either like an extreme
sport-slash-hobby or as play. So just imagine wanting to traverse some
beautiful country side in New York, but being either run over by mad
pick-em-up drivers or stopped by shotgun-toting rednecks. That
explains the popularity of mountain biking and the decline of
bicycling-as-transportation.

No, I don't want to go home.