Re: {BL} dynamo powered taillights

Message has been deleted

JoelMatthews

May 11, 2010, 5:11:32 PM5/11/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
The B&M lights are equally bright.

I disagree with your theory the panniers interfere with the light
operations. It will be interesting to read what other posters think.

On May 11, 2:09 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone recommend a good dynamo powered taillight?  I've been
> reading Peter White's website on lighting.  I wonder whether a fender
> mounted
> taillight would be more visible when the rear is loaded with
> panniers.  My concern is that a rack mounted taillight attached to a
> Tubus Cosmo rack would not be visible from the sides if the rack is
> loaded with panniers.
>
> Is the fender mounted taillight (Toplight Line Plus) as
> bright as the rack mounted taillight (Seculight Plus)?
>
> Thanks,
> happy

elgeneralsv

May 11, 2010, 5:24:30 PM5/11/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
B&M lights are pretty good... I have a Supernova E3 Triple, and the
E3 tail lights (rack and the seatpost lights) I like the B&M tail
light because it's compatible with the rack I have... where the E3
tail light needs spacers.

keithwwalker

May 11, 2010, 5:49:49 PM5/11/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I use the Union tail lamp shown here:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/dynamos.html
Instead of the halogen 0.6W, I installed a red LED 1W bulb. It works
great, but no standlight function when used with German lights (B+M,
Schmidt etc).

On May 11, 12:09 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone recommend a good dynamo powered taillight?  I've been
> reading Peter White's website on lighting.  I wonder whether a fender
> mounted
> taillight would be more visible when the rear is loaded with
> panniers.  My concern is that a rack mounted taillight attached to a
> Tubus Cosmo rack would not be visible from the sides if the rack is
> loaded with panniers.
>
> Is the fender mounted taillight (Toplight Line Plus) as
> bright as the rack mounted taillight (Seculight Plus)?
>
> Thanks,
> happy

JoelMatthews

May 11, 2010, 6:28:15 PM5/11/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
> The B&M lights are equally bright.

One qualification (and perhaps Peter or some of the engineers who post
here can better explain): while the candlelight is standard, from
Peter's explanation it appears the new Line Toplight Plus spreads it
light over a wider area, meaning it will be easier to see.

Some bikes that do not have racks, or have racks that cannot
accommodate a light, go for a similar affect by mounting more than one
fender light. For that matter, if you have a rack light and fender,
no reason not to have two tail lights.

I am not planning on a rear rack for my forthcoming 650B light
tourer. The builder is working on a housing for a Union light on the
fender. I have a DiNotte battery light that I will attach either to
the seat post or the Carradice when I am using the saddle bag.

JoelMatthews

May 12, 2010, 9:29:15 AM5/12/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Here is another way to do two rear lights. Of course even a medium
saddle bag would block the higher light. Sure looks good though:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/4599975946/sizes/l/

Steve Palincsar

May 12, 2010, 9:34:26 AM5/12/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 06:29 -0700, JoelMatthews wrote:
> Here is another way to do two rear lights. Of course even a medium
> saddle bag would block the higher light. Sure looks good though:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/4599975946/sizes/l/

Unless I'm badly mistaken, aren't those Pari Motos?

JoelMatthews

May 12, 2010, 9:38:53 AM5/12/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
> Unless I'm badly mistaken, aren't those Pari Motos?

I believe they are. Kirk Pacenti gave Peter Weigle, Bruce Gordon (and
I think Chris at VO) some tires from a preliminary run. Peter and
Bruce both have praised the tires.

ken.steinhoff

May 12, 2010, 9:39:34 AM5/12/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Here's my setup (it's changed since then). It's not elegant, but it
works.

http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/bicycle-taillights-that-work/

You can see how they look on the road here

http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/flashbak-bike-safety-light/

The lighting setup in the first link shows up at about the 30-second
mark. I managed to hit my RealLite on the screen door and snap it off,
so I replaced it with a Planet Bike taillight, which shows up at the
end of the video.

On May 11, 3:09 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone recommend a good dynamo powered taillight?  I've been
> reading Peter White's website on lighting.  I wonder whether a fender
> mounted
> taillight would be more visible when the rear is loaded with
> panniers.  My concern is that a rack mounted taillight attached to a
> Tubus Cosmo rack would not be visible from the sides if the rack is
> loaded with panniers.
>
> Is the fender mounted taillight (Toplight Line Plus) as
> bright as the rack mounted taillight (Seculight Plus)?
>
> Thanks,
> happy

JoelMatthews

May 12, 2010, 9:58:51 AM5/12/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
You will not see too many of the dynamo lights with flash as, for
whatever reason, dynamos are mostly made in Germany where flashing red
tail lights are not allowed on the road.

jimmycoffill

May 13, 2010, 6:07:54 AM5/13/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I use the top light line plus and I feel it is plenty visible from my
surly nice rack even with panniers
My next door neighbor read me the packaging it came in (he is from
Germany) Light is emitted from it in about a 130degree arc if I
remember correctly. Basically from pannier to pannier. Your rack I
think will kinda of recess the light more behind the panniers a bit
which will cut off some of the light arc.
jimmy
Message has been deleted

WillemJ

May 17, 2010, 1:39:39 PM5/17/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I have a generator powered Seculight on the fender and a battery B&M
XS on the rack. One could do it the other way around, but the fender
was the neater place to hide the wire. The generator versions of the
XS and the seculight give similar or identical output. The battery XS
is not as bright as the generator XS, however (my wife has that one,
so I can compare).
As for a rack mounted light on a Tubus Cargo, my wife has one, and
there is not a real problem with the panniers. But it does depend on
where the pannier is hung. The Cargo sits relatively forward, which is
good for weight distribution. But if you have big feet you have to
locate the pannier relatively far towards the rear. That is worse with
large panniers such as the Arkel. My solution would be to take less
and use smaller panniers. You really do not need all that suff (but
that is different rant). But is also depends on your frame and on the
size of your feet. In most cases it really is not an issue. The good
news about the rack mounted B&M lights is that they have this large
euro reflector.
Willem

On May 16, 4:22 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 13, 4:07 am, jimmycoffill <jimmy-coff...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > I use the top light line plus and I feel it is plenty visible from my
> > surly nice rack even with panniers
> > My next door neighbor read me the packaging it came in (he is from
> > Germany) Light is emitted from it in about a 130degree arc if I
> > remember correctly. Basically from pannier to pannier. Your rack I
> > think will kinda of recess the light more behind the panniers a bit
> > which will cut off some of the light arc.
> > jimmy
>
> Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.  I found a picture of a bike with a
> Tubus Cosmo rear rack, which is loaded with Arkel panniers, and the
> light seems to be pretty well buried:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25972713@N02/3799379032/in/set-721576105...

Ben

May 17, 2010, 5:29:04 PM5/17/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
My rack-mounted taillight is visible through about 140 degrees with
loaded panniers on the bike. Empty panniers are worse. Your mileage
will depend on your rack, your panniers (brand, size, and how you have
them adjusted), your light...

For side visibility, I _highly_ recommend spoke lights. I'm using a
couple of these (their default "stick 'em in the spokes" mount works
on most wheels but not very well on my Velocity Thracian 406, but it
has holes that work great for zipties):

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-SKL-03-28-SpokeLit-Safety/dp/B001DZMAAY/ref=sr_1_1

I wish I could get something like them that didn't need batteries. It
would be easy enough to power (grab a little energy from a magnet on
the fork on every pass, or have a dynamo that can offer power to the
wheel-side of the hub) but I know of nobody doing this. Help?

ev

May 17, 2010, 5:31:27 PM5/17/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
For Side visibility I am thinking of attaching the LED Strips that you find on Semi-Trucks... and then just connecting that to my Dynamo somehow...

Jeff Ross

May 17, 2010, 5:58:09 PM5/17/10
ev wrote:
> For Side visibility I am thinking of attaching the LED Strips that you
> find on Semi-Trucks... and then just connecting that to my Dynamo
> somehow...

Unless you are going to convert the electricity from the dyno to microwaves
and beam them into microwave antennas circling your rapidly rotating wheel I
can't see how that's going to work ;-)

Side visibility lights seem to be a solution in search of a problem. Unless
you are wowed by the cool factor of looking like a christmas tree rolling down
the road--I say that in all fondness as the truck driver I used to be--I can't
see the little added visibility worth the hassle of changing all those button
cell batteries (like the NiteEyes use).

My LBS gave me a set of NiteEyes to try out and they sure do look cool--for
about a week for me in winter evening riding before the batteries started to
go. But I don't think they made me any more visible to the motorists who pose
the greatest risk to me at all.

Jeff Ross
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Message has been deleted

WillemJ

May 18, 2010, 8:30:35 AM5/18/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
You could use tyres with a reflective sidewall. These are compulsory
in many European countries, and as a driver I can easily see why. An
alternative would be these elegant 3M spoke reflectors:
http://roseversand.com/bike-parts/lighting/reflectors/reflectors/3m-spoke-reflectors-sekuclip.html?cid=156&detail=10&detail2=10181
Willem

On May 18, 1:09 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 17, 3:58 pm, Jeff Ross <jeff.l.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > ev wrote:
> > > For Side visibility I am thinking of attaching the LED Strips that you
> > > find on Semi-Trucks... and then just connecting that to my Dynamo
> > > somehow...
>
> > Unless you are going to convert the electricity from the dyno to microwaves
> > and beam them into microwave antennas circling your rapidly rotating wheel I
> > can't see how that's going to work ;-)
>
> lol.

Ken Freeman

May 18, 2010, 10:18:45 AM5/18/10
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Homemade slip rings come to mind, but one has to wonder if it's worth it to develop them.
--
Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

N8N

May 18, 2010, 10:36:23 AM5/18/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Thank you! I knew I'd seen something like that before but couldn't
ever find them. It does bother me (a little) not to have any spoke
reflectors, not so much that I think that they'll help me be more
visible but for liability (e.g. "I didn't see him because he didn't
have the CPSC required spoke reflectors on his 25 year old touring
bike")

Last time I was in my LBS I did see a light that was powered off of
little magnets on the wheel, but I believe it was just a blinky that
mounted to the frame, not the other way around (something that sticks
in the spokes and is lit by electricity generated from stationary
magnets on the stays/fork)

nate

On May 18, 8:30 am, WillemJ <willem.jong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could use tyres with a reflective sidewall. These are compulsory
> in many European countries, and as a driver I can easily see why. An
> alternative would be these elegant 3M spoke reflectors:http://roseversand.com/bike-parts/lighting/reflectors/reflectors/3m-s...
> Willem
>
> On May 18, 1:09 am, happyriding <happyrid...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Unless you are going to convert the electricity from the dyno to microwaves
> > > and beam them into microwave antennas circling your rapidly rotating wheel I
> > > can't see how that's going to work ;-)
>
> > lol.

ken.steinhoff

May 18, 2010, 10:40:20 AM5/18/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I had forgotten I had written a review about the Wheel Wizard. If I
hadn't already given away all of mine, I'd have thrown them to the
group, not that any serious rider would use them.

http://www.palmbeachbiketours.com/send-wheel-wizard-back-to-the-graveyard/

Bob Sutterfield

May 18, 2010, 11:09:53 AM5/18/10
Nate wrote:
It does bother me (a little) not to have any spoke reflectors, not so much that I think that they'll help me be more visible but for liability (e.g. "I didn't see him because he didn't have the CPSC required spoke reflectors on his 25 year old touring bike")

It might not be just a CPSC requirement for new bicycles sold at retail.  In California, side reflectors are part of the required equipment list for bicycles "operated during darkness".  See CVC 21201(d) specifically (4): "A white or yellow reflector on each side forward of the center of the bicycle, and a white or red reflector on each side to the rear of the center of the bicycle, except that bicycles that are equipped with reflectorized tires on the front and the rear need not be equipped with these side reflectors."

At my LBS, beneath one of the mechanics' benches there's a carton of castoff reflectors and mounting brackets.  They came from people who didn't plan to ride at night, and who didn't want the weight and wind drag and rattle and aesthetic clutter.  They let me sort through the box and carry off anything I want.  I replaced my aged, grimy, pitted wheel reflectors with a set that was new and shiny and pretty.  And I snagged a collection of SAE-standard reflector mounting brackets and shims for all variety of mounting points - bolts and tubes of every orientation and diameter.

Nick Winowich

May 18, 2010, 3:56:55 PM5/18/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Ben, have you seen Reelights (reelight.com)? The light is frame
mounted (you could aim it sideways) not spoke mounted, but they
generate electricity from spoke and frame mounted magnets like you
mentioned. Of course you could just sideways mount a cheaper light and
power it from your existing dynamo. So maybe you buy the Reelight,
junk the light itself and wire up your own spoke mounted led to the
reelight 'generator'. I've wasted plenty of time on sillier projects.

N8N

May 20, 2010, 3:23:31 PM5/20/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle

On May 18, 11:09 am, Bob Sutterfield <b...@sutterfields.us> wrote:
> Nate wrote:
> > It does bother me (a little) not to have any spoke reflectors, not so much
> > that I think that they'll help me be more visible but for liability (e.g. "I
> > didn't see him because he didn't have the CPSC required spoke reflectors on
> > his 25 year old touring bike")
>
> It might not be just a CPSC requirement for new bicycles sold at retail.  In
> California, side reflectors are part of the required equipment list for
> bicycles "operated during darkness".  See CVC
> 21201<http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc21201.htm>(d)
> specifically (4): "A white or yellow reflector on each side forward of the
> center of the bicycle, and a white or red reflector on each side to the rear
> of the center of the bicycle, except that bicycles that are equipped with
> reflectorized tires on the front and the rear need not be equipped with
> these side reflectors."

In fact, in my state (Virginia) they are *not* required, which is one
reason why I haven't been more proactive in tracking down an
acceptable solution...

nate

N8N

May 22, 2010, 1:27:14 PM5/22/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Are you aware of any supplier in the USA that sells either those or
else the little B&M reflectors? I feel like I ought to have
*something* on my bike, as I posted a few days ago, but I'm unable to
find a source for either of those two products, and what I'm likely to
find in any given bike store is either a) nothing or b) a bucket full
of discards of the big humongous white floppy things that come with
new bikes and are promptly discarded by most cyclists... (and I'm
thinking of the infamous picture of the Madone with a reflector
through the chainstay, even though my bike is steel, I don't like
things that come loose easily) I *could* order from roseversand, but
shipping would be ludicrous...

Yes, it's a beautiful day out and I'm playing with my new computer...
but it's only 75 out so I think I will go for a nice long ride later

nate

On May 18, 8:30 am, WillemJ <willem.jong...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could use tyres with a reflective sidewall. These are compulsory
> in many European countries, and as a driver I can easily see why. An
> alternative would be these elegant 3M spoke reflectors:http://roseversand.com/bike-parts/lighting/reflectors/reflectors/3m-s...

NickBull

May 24, 2010, 11:12:21 AM5/24/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Rivendell spoke reflectors. Weigh "nothing". Easily transferrable
between wheels. Work nicely. Cheap.

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/spoke-reflector/31-371

BykMor

May 25, 2010, 11:39:08 AM5/25/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
The 3M spoke reflectors mentioned earlier are practically invisible
during the day and quite impressive at night.

Cyclelogical sells them and shops that carry Cyclelogical goods should
have them. We just got a big shipment in at Saturday Cycles if you're
in the northern Utah vicinity.

https://www.cyclelogicalgear.com/cycle/accessories.php

BykMor

lee.watkins

May 25, 2010, 1:21:49 PM5/25/10
to Bicycle Lifestyle
I think it makes sense to have both a rack-mounted light and a fender-
mounted light.
The Rack light is more visible because it's higher up, but the fender
light is not as easily
blocked by bags and panniers. You can have one battery powered, and
the other dyno-powered,
that way you have redundant systems for backup. Or you could run
both. I really like
the B&M DIWA Plus system, which senses when the bike slows down, just
like the brake
lights on a car. When riding at night with your lights on, the
taillight will glow brighter
when you slow down, just like the brake lights on an automobile.

Motorists these days tend to be distracted and reactive rather than
proactive, so
they tend to depend on signals like brake lights to warn them that
they are about to rear-end
someone who's applying the brakes.

I've combined this with a Spanninga SPXb which is batter powered and
fender-mounted.
You definitely want to use metal fenders with this one as it's pretty
heavy 2 batteries in there.

If you are really concerned about visibility, there are 12 volt dynamo
systems as well,
while it is more drag it really isn't that much more. However nobody
is making 12 dynamo hubs,
and I prefer to use a hub generator. All of the types of lights
(fender, rack, front) are available in 12 volt versions.
Peter White is prob. the best supplier in the USA. still.

- Lee