Cool stuff from Sugino

RonLau

Apr 9, 2007, 3:11:05 PM4/9/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
To all,

I have read many people asking about the chain guard from a Rivendell
Quickbeam's crank, I found this from Sugino. I don't know who is
importing them but they are there.

http://www.suginoltd.co.jp/chain_guard_e.html

Also, their direct drive cranks look good.

Ron

Anthony King

Apr 17, 2007, 6:42:57 PM4/17/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Ron,

Thanks for posting those. From time to time someone asks me about
these and I've never found anyone who imports them for sale
individually.

I was interested in the model that fits 48-50 chainrings on 110BCD
cranks, pictured second down on the left. I contacted Sugino and
found out that no one is presently importing the chainguard. But, I
was put in contact with one of their distributors a decent sized batch
for me. They likely ordered others so they could supply other shops
as well.

Again, thanks for pointing them out. They'll be in North America
realtively soon.

Anthony

On Apr 9, 2:11 pm, "RonLau" <ron...@ronlau.com> wrote:
> To all,
>
> I have read many people asking about the chain guard from a Rivendell

> Quickbeam's crank, I found this fromSugino. I don't know who is

Ronald Lau

Apr 17, 2007, 8:30:34 PM4/17/07
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

I gave mine to my wife and everyone always ask where can they get one.
I passed this Velo-orange.com and hopefully he will carry it.

Ron

Anthony King

Apr 17, 2007, 10:51:00 PM4/17/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
Ron,

When I said I order a large batch for "me", I meant my shop, Trinity
Bicycles. We'll have plenty. Sugino didn't give me an estimate when
they would arrive from Japan, but the order was submitted today.
They're coming in through a Sugino distributor, Merry Sales, to us. I
am unsure if they're ordering extras, or just they quantity I
requested. I would assume they ordered some to sell to other shops.
In any case, they'll be available soon from one or several sources.

I requested the 48-50T thinking that it would cover those who use a 48
large ring on touring triples and 50 large rings on compact doubles.

Anthony King

Ronald Lau

Apr 17, 2007, 11:10:45 PM4/17/07
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Anthony,

Oh, now I feel like a dummy, sorry.

Glad you are carrying them, they sure look nice. I think a triple as a
double plus chain guard will be nice and useful.

Ron

Phil Brown

Apr 18, 2007, 1:28:06 PM4/18/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle

6 or 7 years ago Sugino showed a prototype crank and chainring set
duplicating the Rene Herse style crank and rings. I spoke to one of
the Sugino family-I'd have to dig his card out-at Interbike but
couldn't convince him to make it. It was beautiful. Also, there is
another Japanese company that will make seemingly anything having to
do with chainrings. Here's their website and I understand they will
deal with Americans and ship here.
<http://homepage1.nifty.com/ct-seizan/sub03.html>
Phil Brown

Rachel ; James Valiensi

Apr 18, 2007, 2:54:12 PM4/18/07
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Hullo,
Phil are you still in LA?
The Japanese company that was making the chain rings just stopped production, duh!
On my list of things to do is get crank arms made that have that thin old look, like the TA's and Stronglights.
I can design them and get them made in the USA. I just need the time.
Cheers!
James Valiensi
> hem a

Justin Miller

Apr 18, 2007, 4:32:58 PM4/18/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle
On a related note, in browsing their website I am unable to find the
road cranksets for square taper bottom brackets, such as the XD2. I
see several new cranksets that use "direct drive," and crank arms that
fit square taper (their Model No. XD2WR), but not complete cranksets.
I seem to recall these square taper cranksets being shown on the
website before. Are these cranksets still available from Sugino?

Justin Miller

Andrew Janjigian

Apr 19, 2007, 7:22:25 AM4/19/07
to bicyclel...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how this ring compares to the stock one on the
Quickbeam? I assume that its being 6-8 teeth larger than the 40T big
ring shouldn't matter if the point is to keep your fancy pants cuff
out of your greasy chain.

If it would fit, save a couple for me please, Anthony.

aj

Phil Brown

Apr 19, 2007, 12:23:57 PM4/19/07
to Bicycle Lifestyle

Rachel ; James Valiensi wrote:
> Hullo,
> Phil are you still in LA?
> The Japanese company that was making the chain rings just stopped production, duh!

No, I returned to the San Francisco Bay Area 4 years ago. Sorry to
hear about the Japanese company.
Phil Brown