Let's argue about...bickerfest

aj

Jul 31, 2007, 10:36:13 AM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com
Just be clear, please, that this is not an argument against what you
want to do, it is more like a post asking for clarification, or
perhaps brainstorming, if you'd like. How to make this site do what
you want it to do, which actually means convincing people to get on
board. In order to do that, you have to discover what would be a good
draw. You think money is a good draw, but unless they can see that
this is already generating money, therefore worth the effort to jump
in and be a part of it, I don't think many would want to do this
unless there was something else being offered here that isn't just
more of the same of whatever they're getting in the places they
currently frequent.

Many of the people you've approached have blogs. They like their
blogs. For whatever reason, they are willing to give the time and
effort to their personal enterprises, but don't want to divide their
time between that and this, because basically this is exactly what
they're getting on their blogs. Except, on their blogs they have the
freedom to be lazy or prolific, to contribute to the discussion of
their commenters, or just let the commenters have at it. And you can
give the place your own feel, your own personality.

My life's filled with too many things that I don't tend to well enough
as it is. Blogging is recreation for me. You might argue that I could
just as easily do it here as there, especially since here there is the
possibility that one day I might get paid to do it. But I don't blog
because I want to get paid. I blog because I like having my personal
online space. That's part of the blogging charm. You have to visit ME
when you come to my blog. Okay, so maybe you're visiting me if you
like what I write here and want to argue with me, but you only get
that part of me. At my blog, you get a better picture because the way
I decorate the place, the topics I choose, all give you a few more
clues as to who I am, and that's really what I like about blogging.
The establishment of relationships and building up of friendships over
time.

That could happen here, too. It happened in MW. All of the people on
my blog list are former or present MWers. (which reminds me, I need to
add you) However, what's to stop this from becoming just another MW?
Because I don't like MW any more. It's not fun. Yes you are, no you're
not, is not my idea of developing relationships. The only reason I'm
even writing this now is because of my liking for you, not because I
particularly care about this enterprise. I'd like to see it fly
because of that liking, so I can spare some time to at least be a
responder if something gets posted that I can respond to, much as I do
when I visit the blogs of those I like, but as it is, I think you need
to come up with a gimmick that draws people if you really want this to
be a paying enterprise. As it is, it's lacking.

I can understand why you want to do this. You love throwing ideas back
and forth, arguing, writing, and you see others who enjoy it, too, and
how cool would it be to do what you enjoy and get paid for it. But
there's always a gimmick. Look at Twitter. Good grief. Glorified text
messaging. And yet, it worked! If I don't feel like blogging a full
post or visiting a bunch of blogs for whatever reason, time, mood,
whatever, I can go to the Twitter page and have quick conversations
with all my peeps at once and still feel connected.

Obviously people like to talk to each other, and obviously they'll do
it for free, so offering to pay them isn't enough if there isn't
something else about this venture that truly makes it unique. Right
now, the people you are targetting to contribute are perfectly happy
at their blogs, and many of them are simply too busy to add yet
another forum to go to. As it is, most of us have RSS readers so that
visiting blogs is super easy and quick. We know in an instant who has
posted and who hasn't since we last checked and we can click through
and skim to see if there's something we want to read. This forum needs
to be just as easy, just as accessible, if you want people to keep
coming back. As it is, it really isn't. I never liked Google groups. I
was peeved with my ISP when they didn't fix whatever the problem was
that caused MW to stop propagating, and I couldn't use my newsgroup
reader any more.

We're finicky, Zero. We have our likes and dislikes, irrational though
they may be, and the reason you can't understand how we can pass on
such an opportunity is because you fail to grasp that you haven't
managed to target our likes in such a way as to cause us to go, Oh,
cool, I want to get in on that. And insulting some for not seeing what
you see about it is not a good marketing ploy.

So, what needs to happen is some serious brainstorming on how to turn
this into a unique, money-making venture. How to attract people to
come and argue. Why would they want to come HERE, specifically, when
maybe they're already comfortable where they are presently arguing?

---
aj

blurbees

Jul 31, 2007, 2:17:11 PM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com
On Jul 31, 10:36 am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just be clear, please, that this is not an argument against what you
> want to do,

darn.

that might have been fun!

> it is more like a post asking for clarification, or
> perhaps brainstorming, if you'd like.

me?

like brainstormin'?

yikes.

> How to make this site do what you want it to do,

well, i've already jotted down about a zillion ideas for that.

but the more tangents the merrier, i always say!

> which actually means convincing people to get on board.

well, i think the forum itself will do that eventually.

especially when i start writing checks for people to post their best
stuff.

but writing the checks is the easy part.

making it work as a self-sustaining enterprise of paying subscribers
and advertisers is a bit more challenging, but still not that hard
really, given all of the brainstorming i've already done on it.

> In order to do that, you have to discover what would be a good
> draw.

the content.

> You think money is a good draw,

well, yeah, that's a given, for the writers, anyway.

can you see Zen turning away a hundred bucks to post some of his blog
stuff here?

no way, man.

well, maybe, being the pain in the ass contrarion that he is.

but there'd be a line around the block waiting to take his place.

> but unless they can see that
> this is already generating money, therefore worth the effort to jump
> in and be a part of it, I don't think many would want to do this
> unless there was something else being offered here that isn't just
> more of the same of whatever they're getting in the places they
> currently frequent.

no doubt.

particularly given the management staff currently involved and its
long history of financial rollercoastering. not to mention the
smearjobs in play.

> Many of the people you've approached have blogs.

not to mention pettiness, and enormous suspician, and a general fear
of anything that isn't already long-established by someone AND sold on
the telly with a nice jingle already!

> They like their blogs.

well, sure.

> For whatever reason, they are willing to give the time and
> effort to their personal enterprises, but don't want to divide their
> time between that and this, because basically this is exactly what
> they're getting on their blogs.

well, actually, there's not even much of anything here yet.

but one would assume that those whom i've "asked" to speculatively
join in would be experienced enough with moi and their own
participation in the vastly addictive world of bantering argumentive
informative entertainment that they would be able to see what i see,
but i guess their other emotions have blocked that realization from
their mind's eye.

either that, or i truly am a visionary "creative genius" who can see a
complicated thing in one of its "completed" forms when most others
cannot. *

well, actually, i am one of those, but as you know, i don't like to
brag.

* i put the word _completed_ in quotes because, from my perspective,
these kind of projects are ever evolving.

like software.

> Except, on their blogs they have the
> freedom to be lazy or prolific,

same thing available here.

> to contribute to the discussion of their commenters,

same here.

> or just let the commenters have at it.

ditto.

> And you can give the place your own feel, your own personality.

same here.

like this very post of yours.

you have your own style.

wherever you write, you bring that style and personality with you.

we've seen it form numerous others in mw for years and years.

all the people we know... and their posting personality is right
there.

"same as it ever was"

for the most part.

> My life's filled with too many things that I don't tend to well enough
> as it is. Blogging is recreation for me.

this too can be that.

> You might argue that I could
> just as easily do it here as there, especially since here there is the
> possibility that one day I might get paid to do it.

well yeah, you'd think, given the way the world revolves around money,
you'd think that at least a couple dozen people would have at the very
least given it a shot out of greedy (or even practical) curiosity.
because there's nothing to lose.

but so far, it's only you, me, and Paula.

and we're not here for the money.

we're just doing it. *

you guys don't take yourselves overly seriously like the rest
apparently do.

* well, _i'm_ also doing it for the money as well.

hello.

i'm sure Paula wouldn't turn down an extra hundred bucks a week for
starters either.

> But I don't blog because I want to get paid.

nor do i.

but i certainly wouldn't turn down some cash for doing so, that's for
sure.

yikes.

in fact, that's what gave me this idea in the first place, years ago.

> I blog because I like having my personal online space.
> That's part of the blogging charm.

yeah, it's cool.

> You have to visit ME when you come to my blog.

i suppose that's one way of looking at it.

> Okay, so maybe you're visiting me if you
> like what I write here and want to argue with me, but you only get
> that part of me.

well, no.

i think you might have the wrong idea of what bickerfest is about.

it's not meant to be a non-stop argument forum.

essays and poetry and music and movies and fun, too!

content-o-plenty!

from a lot of really cool people.

by calling it a bickerfest i meant to convey the idea that the forum
and its participants are making fun themselves and their likely
tendency to veer off into those directions frequently.

and VERY entertainingly, at that.

the arguing part will likely be a big part of the draw.

because of the hilarious way that it can often evolve.

without the malice, of course.

> At my blog, you get a better picture because the way
> I decorate the place, the topics I choose, all give you a few more
> clues as to who I am, and that's really what I like about blogging.

and none of that goes away by participating here.

> The establishment of relationships and building up of friendships
> over time.

as i'm sure will happen here as well.

like it does with any community of people, in a common business, or
otherwise.

> That could happen here, too. It happened in MW.

see?

> All of the people on
> my blog list are former or present MWers.

go figure.

> (which reminds me, I need to add you)

i think i have about ten blogs, so... pick your favorite.

> However, what's to stop this from becoming just another MW?

me.

i'm moderating this place.

> Because I don't like MW any more. It's not fun.

gotta agree with you for the most part.

they shall remain nameless here.

but mw still has some positive stuff about it.

it'll be alright.

it's a type of chaos.

not as good of a quality of chaos as before, but there it is.

> Yes you are, no you're not, is not my idea of developing relationships.

i wouldn't imagine it would be anyone's but, presto!

LOL.

> The only reason I'm
> even writing this now is because of my liking for you,

thanks!

and i like you too.

who _wouldn't_ like you is my only question.

> not because I particularly care about this enterprise.

bitch!

> I'd like to see it fly because of that liking,

oh.

then strike that bitch comment above.

> so I can spare some time to at least be a responder
> if something gets posted that I can respond to,

well, cool.

and you're most welcomed here, as you know.

i think you're one of the most thoughtful and honest and intelligent
debators that i've ever had the pleasure of bickering with. and fun
too! and funny.

you're definitely on the the top of the prefered paid bickerfesters
queue once it gets to that stage, which should be very soon -- not
that you'd ever insist on getting paid, but you're special in that
way. generous.

> much as I do when I visit
> the blogs of those I like, but as it is, I think you need
> to come up with a gimmick that draws people if you really want this to
> be a paying enterprise. As it is, it's lacking.

well, i'm quite busy working out the other details right now.

this is certainly not the prototype.

this is way beta mode.

i mean, i haven't even begun to seriously solicit any contributors.

besides Zen, that is.

but that's mostly for the fun of breaking his balls over his excuses.

the only thing i did was make it known to some mw'ers that this place
existed and was begining to be built.

i started with another idea regarding the megablog thinger not even
thinking about this bickerfest domain that i had.

i figured that people would eventually poke into megablog and help me
build it.

then one day i remembered that i had this bickerfest domain just
sitting there doing nothing.

and the memories flooded my mind about what i was gonna do in that
regard years ago.

and here we are.

the painters and the carpenters and the plumbers and the coffee &
doughnut van people are busy doing their thing as the construction
crew consults with the engineer who looks over the blueprints -- and
makes tweaks, of course.

we're not opening the door to customers just yet.

the royal we, that is.

we've simply put a sign on the huge front-glass window:

Opening Soon!

> I can understand why you want to do this. You love throwing ideas back
> and forth, arguing, writing, and you see others who enjoy it, too,

understatement on all counts.

> and how cool would it be to do what you enjoy and get paid for it.

yep.

i'd imagine everyone else feels the same way as i do about that.

> But there's always a gimmick.

oh my.

would you like to see my bulging bag of gimmicks?

how about the tractor trailer load of gimmicks that's parked along
side the building next to the coffee break van?

> Look at Twitter. Good grief. Glorified text messaging.
> And yet, it worked! If I don't feel like blogging a full
> post or visiting a bunch of blogs for whatever reason, time, mood,
> whatever, I can go to the Twitter page and have quick conversations
> with all my peeps at once and still feel connected.

yep.

> Obviously people like to talk to each other, and obviously they'll do
> it for free, so offering to pay them isn't enough if there isn't
> something else about this venture that truly makes it unique.

the content, for starters.

> Right now, the people you are targetting to contribute

Zen.

and not even him, really.

i'm just playfully trying to get people i know to play around here
while i work out the tweaks, the financing, and whatnot.

but nooo!

anyway, it's no big deal.

sure, it would be better if more of the mw pals joined in and started
bickering here and there, because that will help the construction crew
and engineer to better coordinate stuff, but it's not like i'm
freaking out or anything.

it'll happen.

i've got a pretty good vision for this thing.

i think so, anyway.

> are perfectly happy at their blogs,

they're taking themselves way too seriously, man.

> and many of them are simply too busy to add yet
> another forum to go to.

translation: click!

> As it is, most of us have RSS readers so that
> visiting blogs is super easy and quick.

so does bickerfest, doesn't it?

http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/about

i don't know for sure how it works yet, because i've never used RSS.

> We know in an instant who has posted

well even if i'm wrong about the RSS thinger, i know that anyone who
joins this bickerfest google group can opt for an email update, either
post by post, in digest form, abridged, or none at all.

[...]

i'll finish responding after some lunch.

meanwhile, keep this in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HzmTjyhXEE

in places, this post of yours reminded me of that.

enjoy!

Paula should get a good laugh out of it as well.

all of us writer types naturally would.

Sincerely,
Mr. B$ Blurbees

http://bickerfest.blogspot.com
(where a good argument is worth its weight in B$)

Message has been deleted

blurbees

Jul 31, 2007, 5:24:46 PM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com
On Jul 31, 2:17?pm, blurbees <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 10:36 am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > I blog because I like having my personal online space.
> > That's part of the blogging charm.

> > You have to visit ME when you come to my blog.

> > Okay, so maybe you're visiting me if you
> > like what I write here and want to argue with me,
> > but you only get that part of me.
>
> well, no.
>
> i think you might have the wrong idea of what bickerfest is about.
>
> it's not meant to be a non-stop argument forum.
>
> essays and poetry and music and movies and fun, too!
>
> content-o-plenty!
>
> from a lot of really cool people.
>
> by calling it a bickerfest i meant to convey the idea that the forum
> and its participants are making fun themselves and their likely
> tendency to veer off into those directions frequently.

major context-shifting typo alert.

that should have been: "making fun OF themselves"

> by calling it a bickerfest i meant to convey the idea that the forum

> and its participants are making fun [of] themselves and their likely
> tendency to veer off into those [bickering] directions frequently.

> and VERY entertainingly, at that.
>
> the arguing part will likely be a big part of the draw.
>
> because of the hilarious way that it can often evolve.
>
> without the malice, of course.

which is key.

[...]

B$

blurbees

Jul 31, 2007, 5:59:15 PM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com
On Jul 31, 10:36?am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> As it is, it really isn't. I never liked Google groups.

it's flawed, but it's pretty good for quoting other people's comments
and logically threading them.

well, almost logically.

one of the flaws is that you can't always easily tell which post is
responding to which post when there's lots of responses involved.

eventually i'll either buy a good commenting package or more likely
design my own.

but both of those take way more time than i have to delegate to such a
thing (particularly the design-my-own alternative) -- i have way more
important things to do.

so instead of spending weeks shopping around for a longterm commenting
package or creating a perfectly fllexible one from scratch, i've opted
to use Google Groups, especially since, in regards to our royal needs,
it does an adequate job for the most part -- particluarly at this
early stage of the project.

> I was peeved with my ISP when they didn't fix whatever the problem
> was that caused MW to stop propagating, and I couldn't use my
> newsgroup reader any more.

that seems to be a trend.

well, at least there's still Google.

> We're finicky, Zero. We have our likes and dislikes, irrational though
> they may be, and the reason you can't understand how we can pass on
> such an opportunity is because you fail to grasp that you haven't
> managed to target our likes in such a way as to cause us to go, Oh,
> cool, I want to get in on that.

one would think that the prospect of getting paid to debate and/or
write about what one wants, creatively, just like one does in their
own blog, would hold some sort of minimal appeal just on its own, no?

yikes.

but people are skeptical, i suppose.

they're way too skeptical, though.

they haven't even dipped their toes in, FFS.

> And insulting some for not seeing what
> you see about it is not a good marketing ploy.

where have i done that?

but anyway, screw 'em if they can't take a joke about my own project,
ya know?

i mean, like, whoa.

> So, what needs to happen is some serious brainstorming on how to turn
> this into a unique, money-making venture.

already done.

but like i said in my earlier response, the more tangents the better!

yahoo!

> How to attract people to come and argue.

not a problem.

plus, it's not all about arguing.

interesting original content will also be rewarded.

> Why would they want to come HERE, specifically,
> when maybe they're already comfortable where they
> are presently arguing?

that's a keeper.

to my sense of humor, the way you composed it, it's a hilarious
question.

i think we'll put it directly into the advertising campaign.

keep 'em coming, Arleen!

you go girl.

B$

aj

Jul 31, 2007, 5:41:18 PM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com

Do you have a bickerfest jingle? That'd be cool.

> > They like their blogs.
>
> well, sure.
>
> > For whatever reason, they are willing to give the time and
> > effort to their personal enterprises, but don't want to divide their
> > time between that and this, because basically this is exactly what
> > they're getting on their blogs.
>
> well, actually, there's not even much of anything here yet.

Well, I meant what you seemed to building.

> but one would assume that those whom i've "asked" to speculatively
> join in would be experienced enough with moi and their own
> participation in the vastly addictive world of bantering argumentive
> informative entertainment that they would be able to see what i see,
> but i guess their other emotions have blocked that realization from
> their mind's eye.
>
> either that, or i truly am a visionary "creative genius" who can see a
> complicated thing in one of its "completed" forms when most others
> cannot. *
>
> well, actually, i am one of those, but as you know, i don't like to
> brag.

LOL! Well, it's typical that you would be excited about it much more
so than those who have been listening because it's your idea. We
haven't been experiencing the brainstorming fest you have to get us
excited over it.

> * i put the word _completed_ in quotes because, from my perspective,
> these kind of projects are ever evolving.
>
> like software.

Yes.

> > Except, on their blogs they have the
> > freedom to be lazy or prolific,
>
> same thing available here.
>
> > to contribute to the discussion of their commenters,
>
> same here.
>
> > or just let the commenters have at it.
>
> ditto.
>
> > And you can give the place your own feel, your own personality.
>
> same here.
>
> like this very post of yours.
>
> you have your own style.
>
> wherever you write, you bring that style and personality with you.
>
> we've seen it form numerous others in mw for years and years.
>
> all the people we know... and their posting personality is right
> there.
>
> "same as it ever was"
>
> for the most part.

One thing I thought of was how you could "advertise" certain writers
based on their latest contribution. Kind of like the way we see the
latest blog entries on our various communities. Rotate the current
ongoing discussions.

> > My life's filled with too many things that I don't tend to well enough
> > as it is. Blogging is recreation for me.
>
> this too can be that.

But that's it right there. Too. I don't have time for too. But I'd get
sucked in. I absolutely would if it became what you're thinking about.
Look at me now. I'm supposed to be writing a tutoring book right now,
and instead I'm writing this.

> > You might argue that I could
> > just as easily do it here as there, especially since here there is the
> > possibility that one day I might get paid to do it.
>
> well yeah, you'd think, given the way the world revolves around money,
> you'd think that at least a couple dozen people would have at the very
> least given it a shot out of greedy (or even practical) curiosity.
> because there's nothing to lose.
>
> but so far, it's only you, me, and Paula.
>
> and we're not here for the money.
>
> we're just doing it. *
>
> you guys don't take yourselves overly seriously like the rest
> apparently do.
>
> * well, _i'm_ also doing it for the money as well.
>
> hello.
>
> i'm sure Paula wouldn't turn down an extra hundred bucks a week for
> starters either.
>
> > But I don't blog because I want to get paid.
>
> nor do i.
>
> but i certainly wouldn't turn down some cash for doing so, that's for
> sure.
>
> yikes.
>
> in fact, that's what gave me this idea in the first place, years ago.

Yes. I do think the name is clever, too.

> > I blog because I like having my personal online space.
> > That's part of the blogging charm.
>
> yeah, it's cool.
>
> > You have to visit ME when you come to my blog.
>
> i suppose that's one way of looking at it.
>
> > Okay, so maybe you're visiting me if you
> > like what I write here and want to argue with me, but you only get
> > that part of me.
>
> well, no.
>
> i think you might have the wrong idea of what bickerfest is about.
>
> it's not meant to be a non-stop argument forum.
>
> essays and poetry and music and movies and fun, too!
>
> content-o-plenty!
>
> from a lot of really cool people.

Music and movies?

> by calling it a bickerfest i meant to convey the idea that the forum
> and its participants are making fun themselves and their likely
> tendency to veer off into those directions frequently.
>
> and VERY entertainingly, at that.
>
> the arguing part will likely be a big part of the draw.
>
> because of the hilarious way that it can often evolve.
>
> without the malice, of course.

Well, you know I always did enjoy debating things for fun.

> > At my blog, you get a better picture because the way
> > I decorate the place, the topics I choose, all give you a few more
> > clues as to who I am, and that's really what I like about blogging.
>
> and none of that goes away by participating here.

I can't change the color to purple or yellow depending upon my mood!

> > The establishment of relationships and building up of friendships
> > over time.
>
> as i'm sure will happen here as well.
>
> like it does with any community of people, in a common business, or
> otherwise.
>
> > That could happen here, too. It happened in MW.
>
> see?
>
> > All of the people on
> > my blog list are former or present MWers.
>
> go figure.
>
> > (which reminds me, I need to add you)
>
> i think i have about ten blogs, so... pick your favorite.

You do? Where?

> > However, what's to stop this from becoming just another MW?
>
> me.
>
> i'm moderating this place.

That would become a full-time job. Do you have a plan for the
moderation policy when you can't handle it any more? (does this have
ironic overtones, considering where we stood on MWM?)

> > Because I don't like MW any more. It's not fun.
>
> gotta agree with you for the most part.
>
> they shall remain nameless here.
>
> but mw still has some positive stuff about it.
>
> it'll be alright.
>
> it's a type of chaos.
>
> not as good of a quality of chaos as before, but there it is.
>
> > Yes you are, no you're not, is not my idea of developing relationships.
>
> i wouldn't imagine it would be anyone's but, presto!
>
> LOL.
>
> > The only reason I'm
> > even writing this now is because of my liking for you,
>
> thanks!
>
> and i like you too.
>
> who _wouldn't_ like you is my only question.

Lots of people. I can be annoying.

> > not because I particularly care about this enterprise.
>
> bitch!

;-)

> > I'd like to see it fly because of that liking,
>
> oh.
>
> then strike that bitch comment above.
>
> > so I can spare some time to at least be a responder
> > if something gets posted that I can respond to,
>
> well, cool.
>
> and you're most welcomed here, as you know.
>
> i think you're one of the most thoughtful and honest and intelligent
> debators that i've ever had the pleasure of bickering with. and fun
> too! and funny.
>
> you're definitely on the the top of the prefered paid bickerfesters
> queue once it gets to that stage, which should be very soon -- not
> that you'd ever insist on getting paid, but you're special in that
> way. generous.

Dude. If you want me to post here, you shouldn't render me speechless.
Thank you.

Ahhh. Okay, I see. Well, count me in for beta testing then.

> > I can understand why you want to do this. You love throwing ideas back
> > and forth, arguing, writing, and you see others who enjoy it, too,
>
> understatement on all counts.
>
> > and how cool would it be to do what you enjoy and get paid for it.
>
> yep.
>
> i'd imagine everyone else feels the same way as i do about that.
>
> > But there's always a gimmick.
>
> oh my.
>
> would you like to see my bulging bag of gimmicks?
>
> how about the tractor trailer load of gimmicks that's parked along
> side the building next to the coffee break van?

LOL!

> > Look at Twitter. Good grief. Glorified text messaging.
> > And yet, it worked! If I don't feel like blogging a full
> > post or visiting a bunch of blogs for whatever reason, time, mood,
> > whatever, I can go to the Twitter page and have quick conversations
> > with all my peeps at once and still feel connected.
>
> yep.
>

> > Obviously people like to talk to each other, and obviously they'll do
> > it for free, so offering to pay them isn't enough if there isn't
> > something else about this venture that truly makes it unique.
>
> the content, for starters.

Well, at this point... ;-)

> > Right now, the people you are targetting to contribute
>
> Zen.
>
> and not even him, really.
>
> i'm just playfully trying to get people i know to play around here
> while i work out the tweaks, the financing, and whatnot.
>
> but nooo!
>
> anyway, it's no big deal.
>
> sure, it would be better if more of the mw pals joined in and started
> bickering here and there, because that will help the construction crew
> and engineer to better coordinate stuff, but it's not like i'm
> freaking out or anything.
>
> it'll happen.
>
> i've got a pretty good vision for this thing.
>
> i think so, anyway.
>
> > are perfectly happy at their blogs,
>
> they're taking themselves way too seriously, man.
>
> > and many of them are simply too busy to add yet
> > another forum to go to.
>
> translation: click!

Once you click, you get sucked in. Witness the whirlpool at my ankles.

> > As it is, most of us have RSS readers so that
> > visiting blogs is super easy and quick.
>
> so does bickerfest, doesn't it?
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/about

Oh, wow! I had no idea. Cool. Now I can check in much easier. And it
works with MW, too. Oh, wow. Okay, I'm sold. Except for the fact that
I still don't have time for this, but, oh, well. My life has been
sadly lacking in fun lately.

> i don't know for sure how it works yet, because i've never used RSS.

Learn. Now. :-) I don't really understand it, either. It works
automagically with my blogging program and the plug-in I use in
Firefox.

---
aj

aj

Jul 31, 2007, 6:14:00 PM7/31/07
to bickerfest.com

I sometimes have difficulty reading whether or not there's joking
behind the words I see. I was just commenting on your "ball-breaking"
at Zen's. Never mind.

> > So, what needs to happen is some serious brainstorming on how to turn
> > this into a unique, money-making venture.
>
> already done.
>
> but like i said in my earlier response, the more tangents the better!
>
> yahoo!
>
> > How to attract people to come and argue.
>
> not a problem.
>
> plus, it's not all about arguing.
>
> interesting original content will also be rewarded.
>
> > Why would they want to come HERE, specifically,
> > when maybe they're already comfortable where they
> > are presently arguing?
>
> that's a keeper.
>
> to my sense of humor, the way you composed it, it's a hilarious
> question.
>
> i think we'll put it directly into the advertising campaign.

LOL. Go right ahead.

---
aj

Jennyjinx

Aug 1, 2007, 11:05:34 AM8/1/07
to bickerfest.com

> so instead of spending weeks shopping around for a longterm commenting
> package or creating a perfectly fllexible one from scratch, i've opted
> to use Google Groups, especially since, in regards to our royal needs,
> it does an adequate job for the most part -- particluarly at this
> early stage of the project.

Do you have your own site with plenty of database storage? I ask
because I've recently started playing with Drupal and it's the perfect
CMS for a community project such as this. It's a little clunky when
first implementing it, but after some time getting to know it, it's
cake. Then you can assign site admins with the different permissions
to do your job pretty much for you.

There's also a feature to place your favorite bickers on the front
page, and bury the lame ones. Readers can vote on which is the best,
who's got the best argument, etc.

Anyway, it's just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

banterboy

Aug 1, 2007, 12:33:22 PM8/1/07
to bickerfest.com
hey Paula's friend Jenny,

welcome aboard the bickerfest!

On Aug 1, 11:05?am, Jennyjinx <grat...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > so instead of spending weeks shopping around for a longterm commenting
> > package or creating a perfectly fllexible one from scratch, i've opted
> > to use Google Groups, especially since, in regards to our royal needs,
> > it does an adequate job for the most part -- particluarly at this
> > early stage of the project.
>
> Do you have your own site with plenty of database storage?

yes, but i'm debating whether or not i should change hosting
companies.

though, i'm sure if i chose to move, i could migrate everything over
pretty seemlessly (one would hope, anyway), so that's probably not a
big issue.

> I ask
> because I've recently started playing with Drupal and it's the perfect
> CMS for a community project such as this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drupal

looks interesting from a quick wiki browse of it.

and it's free, besides.

> It's a little clunky when first implementing it,

yikes, that's certainly something i don't need at this point.

> but after some time getting to know it, it's cake.

have you used it yourself?

> Then you can assign site admins with the different permissions
> to do your job pretty much for you.

cool.

more quality naptime!

> There's also a feature to place your favorite bickers on the front
> page, and bury the lame ones. Readers can vote on which is the best,
> who's got the best argument, etc.

great.

> Anyway, it's just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

thanks!

sounds way more flexible than the Google Groups thinger.

and i'd imagine it's better at quoting and threading.

the one thing Google has going for it right now bickerfest project-
wise is the way it integrates with people's Google accounts so
seemlessly and familiarly.

but Drupal sounds like a good alternative to consider at some point.

though naturally, since its free, it has the disadvantage of not being
highly motivated to take responsibility for screw-ups and glitches and
upgrades and whatnot.

so if one wanted to choose another package at some point, i wonder how
well and easily the data would be exportable to a new commenting
pakage.

anyway, thanks for the heads up, Jenny!

i'll look into further after i'm done with a zillion other
distractions that are likely to pop up.

such is the life of an inventor/entrepreneur.

especially a smartassed one.

and doubly especially one who considers himself an arteeeeest!

sigh...

banterboy

blurbees

Aug 3, 2007, 10:48:11 PM8/3/07
to bickerfest.com
On Jul 31, 5:41?pm, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2:17 pm, blurbees <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 10:36 am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > > Many of the people you've approached have blogs.
>
> > not to mention pettiness, and enormous suspician, and a general fear
> > of anything that isn't already long-established by someone AND sold on
> > the telly with a nice jingle already!
>
> Do you have a bickerfest jingle? That'd be cool.

oh wow, what a great idea!

i didn't even think of it when i wrote that.

what a fucking idiot i am.

Paula, please, pretty please, work on some parody lyrics.

of course, anyone else is invited to take a crack at it as well.

let's have some fun brainstormin' THAT baby.

then when we finally have something clever, i'll make a bickerfest
YouTube commerical with a jingle!

a montage of all manner of people furiously typing away their
bickerfest posts (while some of them are just leaning back in their
chairs laughing and yet others are shown scurrying off to the library
to get more educated or something).

that will be GREAT for when we're ready to open the doors for
customers.

thanks for another beaut, Arleen!

bickerfest blurbess

aj

Aug 10, 2007, 1:31:27 AM8/10/07
to bickerfest.com
I now know what I do not like about this forum. I have to be signed in
under a particular gmail address. I have more than one, and I prefer
being signed in under one of those other ones, but I don't want to use
it for this, so whenever I want to read the feed or post, I have to
sign out of my other identity and sign into this one. It's a pain in
the butt.

Hmmmmph.

aj

blurbees.com

Aug 10, 2007, 1:44:50 AM8/10/07
to bickerfest.com

i know you can set up the gmail to link with various POP servers to
have gmail read your other accounts or somesuch (i haven't had time to
explore it myself yet so i'm not sure exactly how it works), and you
can add other email addresses to your account, so i'm assuming that
once you add an email to your account, it might get added to the drop-
down menu options you are given when you customise how you want to
read a google group (selecting which email you want to post with, for
instance).

if it's not set up like that, it certainly should be.

that's assuming that google is serious about making gmail your
prefered email interface.

but there's some things about the gmail interface that are just plain
stupid, if you ask moi.

like not being able to sort on the various email fields like:

To, or From, or Subject, etc.

and i don't like the way it automatically groups emails with the same
title, that should be a toggle option, at best.

blurbees

aj

Aug 10, 2007, 2:35:45 AM8/10/07
to bickerfest.com

On Aug 10, 1:44 am, "blurbees.com" <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 1:31?am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I now know what I do not like about this forum. I have to be signed in
> > under a particular gmail address. I have more than one, and I prefer
> > being signed in under one of those other ones, but I don't want to use
> > it for this, so whenever I want to read the feed or post, I have to
> > sign out of my other identity and sign into this one. It's a pain in
> > the butt.
>
> > Hmmmmph.
>
> i know you can set up the gmail to link with various POP servers to
> have gmail read your other accounts or somesuch (i haven't had time to
> explore it myself yet so i'm not sure exactly how it works), and you
> can add other email addresses to your account, so i'm assuming that
> once you add an email to your account, it might get added to the drop-
> down menu options you are given when you customise how you want to
> read a google group (selecting which email you want to post with, for
> instance).
>
> if it's not set up like that, it certainly should be.

it's not. i have this account linked to the other so that i can get my
mail in one, but i have no choice when coming here. i'd have to join
under my other account, which i won't do. it's the same when i comment
on blogs. if i'm signed into my other account, but don't want to post
under that name, i can easily switch in the commenting window, but
that logs me out of my other account and into this one, which i don't
want to do! i want to stay in my other account.

also, because you have to be logged in, i can't check the feed along
with all my others unless i sign in. it's annoying. i know these are
small things, but every little bit helps when one is trying to keep a
sometimes overwhelming life as simple as possible under the
circumstances.

> that's assuming that google is serious about making gmail your
> prefered email interface.
>
> but there's some things about the gmail interface that are just plain
> stupid, if you ask moi.

yes.

> like not being able to sort on the various email fields like:
>
> To, or From, or Subject, etc.
>
> and i don't like the way it automatically groups emails with the same
> title, that should be a toggle option, at best.

i agree. it's cool when you're carrying on a conversation because then
it's like threading, but i don't always want it that way.

aj

blurbees.com

Aug 10, 2007, 3:41:35 AM8/10/07
to bickerfest.com
On Aug 10, 2:35�am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 10, 1:44 am, "blurbees.com" <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 10, 1:31?am, aj <arlee...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I now know what I do not like about this forum. I have to be signed in
> > > under a particular gmail address. I have more than one, and I prefer
> > > being signed in under one of those other ones, but I don't want to use
> > > it for this, so whenever I want to read the feed or post, I have to
> > > sign out of my other identity and sign into this one. It's a pain in
> > > the butt.
>
> > > Hmmmmph.
>
> > i know you can set up the gmail to link with various POP servers to
> > have gmail read your other accounts or somesuch (i haven't had time to
> > explore it myself yet so i'm not sure exactly how it works), and you
> > can add other email addresses to your account, so i'm assuming that
> > once you add an email to your account, it might get added to the drop-
> > down menu options you are given when you customise how you want to
> > read a google group (selecting which email you want to post with, for
> > instance).
>
> > if it's not set up like that, it certainly should be.
>
> it's not. i have this account linked to the other so that i can get my
> mail in one, but i have no choice when coming here.

are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

setting up the POP mail thing is different than adding an email
address into your gmail account.

i know, because i did the latter briefly (but then deleted them) when
i first opened up my first gmail account.

i added a couple of my other email boxes to the account (which is
different than setting up the POP mail shit), though i'm not sure if
putting those email addresses into your account like that will solve
what you're saying, but it might.

for instance, the option i'm thinking of let's you choose from one of
your alternate installed email addresses to use it as a FROM address
when sending out email from your gmail account.

but i never tried it with google groups, so i don't know how that
might work.

> i'd have to join under my other account, which i won't do.

because you want to keep that account private.

as far as i know, it would only be visible to the managers of a google
group -- so long as the managers set up the group that way and kept it
so, which you can't count on, so yes, that's a flaw (assuming the
other thing i mentioned above isn't a solution).

> it's the same when i comment on blogs.

well, the blogs are set up differently with gmail, though.

> if i'm signed into my other account, but don't want to post
> under that name, i can easily switch in the commenting window, but
> that logs me out of my other account and into this one, which i don't
> want to do! i want to stay in my other account.

yeah, i get that part.

i'll check out what i mentioned above as soon as i get some free time.

> also, because you have to be logged in, i can't check the feed along
> with all my others unless i sign in. it's annoying.

that's because i have the bickerfest group set on "must join to see"
right now.

last week, for various creative genius business reasons and such, i
decided to change it to non-public for awhile.

> i know these are small things,

not really, convenience is the key to good customer relations.

if it's a hassle, people will just say fuck off.

one alternative that might work for you is to respond via email.

you can post to the group by sending an email.

and if your personal bickerfest subscription setup includes receiving
emails, you can read bickerfest thru emails without logging in to the
account you associated with it -- if i'm understanding you correctly
in regards to your being able to read your emails from that bickerfest-
associated account from your prefered account.

i know that you can forward your gmail account emails to any other
email, should you choose to.

> but every little bit helps when one is trying to keep a
> sometimes overwhelming life as simple as possible under the
> circumstances.

agreed!

> > that's assuming that google is serious about making gmail your
> > prefered email interface.
>
> > but there's some things about the gmail interface that are just plain
> > stupid, if you ask moi.
>
> yes.

one wonders how they could be so stupid, but not really.

they must have some logical (benefitial to them) reason for crippling
it in certain ways.

> > like not being able to sort on the various email fields like:
>
> >   To, or From, or Subject, etc.
>
> > and i don't like the way it automatically groups emails with the same
> > title, that should be a toggle option, at best.
>
> i agree. it's cool when you're carrying on a conversation because then
> it's like threading, but i don't always want it that way.

i don't like it at all, especially because it's clunky.

if they set it up the way google groups threads posts, that'd be
different.

so you could see a list of the emails on the sidebar and be able to
click on any individual email listed.

BTW: that's screwed up tonight for moi, how about you?

it doesn't show all posts when sorted by reply (the default sort), it
only shows the first three or so.

you can only see all replies when the thread is sorted by date.

it started fucking up like that at about 6:00 pm.

anyway, i'll forward this post to one of your personal email addresses
after it posts.

(there's an option for that in the post options list)

i could just cc: to you as i post it, but then i think that would
archive your email address with the post.

blurbees.com

blurbees.com

Aug 10, 2007, 4:37:06 AM8/10/07
to bickerfest.com

bicke...@googlegroups.com

bickerfest [AT] googlegroups [DOT] com

before posting that way, be sure to set your "FROM email address" to
whatever address you want it to be, if that's an issue for you.

however, if you accidentally make a mistake and send/email the post
from a private email address, it will get held up in moderation and
won't post anyway because i have non-subscriber posts blocked from
posting directly.

> and if your personal bickerfest subscription setup includes receiving
> emails,

Edit My Membership
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/subscribe

choices: Email, Digest, Abridged, No Email.

the first option sends you a separate email for every post to
bickerfest.

the Digest option sends you a periodic email consistimng of a group of
posts (with full text) as they reach a certain number -- 25 maybe?

and the Abridged option sends you a single post (once a day i think)
with just subject titles, poster names, and hyper-links to the
threads.

> you can read bickerfest thru emails without logging in to the
> account you associated with it -- if i'm understanding you correctly
> in regards to your being able to read your emails from that bickerfest-

> associated account from within your prefered account.

> it started fucking up like that at about 6:00 pm Eastern.

and it's still screwed up like that, about 12 hours later.

> anyway, i'll forward this post to one of your personal email addresses
> after it posts.
>
> (there's an option for that in the post options list)
>
> i could just cc: to you as i post it, but then i think that would
> archive your email address with the post.

post your bickerfestering by email:

bicke...@googlegroups.com

bickerfest [AT] googlegroups [DOT] com

change your bickerfest subscription options:

Edit My Membership
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/subscribe

bickerfest info:

About
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/about

arguments:

Discussions
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/topics
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/topics?start
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/topics?gvc=1
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/topics?gvc=2

bicker:

+ New Post
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/post

marvel at the logos:

http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest

admin only (ungrateful taskmasters):

Members
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/members

obligatory Monty Python quote:

Pages
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/web

your essential bickerfest toolbox:

http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/web/links

your one stop bickerfest shop for logos, etc.

Files
http://groups.google.com/group/bickerfest/files

http://blurbees.com