Let's argue about... Movies

banterboy

Aug 1, 2007, 12:46:47 PM8/1/07
to bickerfest.com
Let's argue about... Movies

what are your favorite movies?

what makes a good movie good?

contrast something you consider a good movie with something you
consider a crappy one.

how about movies that are better than the books they were based on?

and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vice%20versa

let's see, what else...

um...

banterboy

http://bickerfest.blogspot.com
(where a good argument is worth its weight in B$)

blurbees

Aug 3, 2007, 6:08:51 PM8/3/07
to bickerfest.com
On Aug 1, 12:46?pm, banterboy <bickerf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's argue about... Movies
>
> what are your favorite movies?
>
> what makes a good movie good?

in general?

amusing, thought-provoking, beautiful, inspiring/uplifting, sad/
depressing, provides escapism, makes you feel good about the world and
people in some way, intriguing, mysterious, good use of music, sexy,
good-natured and/or horrifying, scenic, cool, "hip", etc..

> contrast something you consider a good movie with something you
> consider a crappy one.

not right now.

> how about movies that are better than the books they were based on?
>
> and http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vice%20versa

the Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy movie wasn't anywhere nearly as
good as the books, let alone the BBC radio plays.

> let's see, what else...
>
> um...

i just saw the Simpsons movie this afternoon.

it was hilarious.

lotsa good biting parody and whatnot.

and it was heart-warming as well, as only the Simpson's can do.

also, it'll probably offend a whole shitload of overly-sensitive
people because it makes fun of everyone on all sides of the
environmental issue thinger -- as well as some other topics.

one of my favorite parts was when little Maggie finally spoke, after
all the many years of just sucking on her plastic rubber nipple
thinger, happily wordless.

although i'll bet most movie goers never stuck around for her spoken
part, and she only said one word, but what a beaut.

it was quite funny -- i laughed outloud because it poked at the entire
Simpsons movie itself and the rampant consumerism of it all.

anyway, it was also kinda fun just to watch the Bart and the gang on
the big screen.

i haven't been catching it on the tube for years, too busy with other
stuff, i guess.

the animation was only two-dimensional but it was still awesome,
particularly some of the Alaska stuff.

and there were sublime jokes from start to finish.

plus, there was a comically inspired twist of sorts when Bono didn't
make a cameo appearence. then again, as is usual, a famous actor
appeared as himself, and this time in a bravely self-deprecating way.

all in all, it gets an A if you ask moi, though naturally, i can see
why some people wouldn't like the thing at all.

they might think that it was too preachy or something.

yikes.

anyway, it was great satire.

bickerfest blurbees

O' Tim

Aug 5, 2007, 11:26:17 AM8/5/07
to bickerfest.com
Interesting points, thanks banterboy.

A friendly request to all bickerfesters: PLEASE notify readers of
potential movie/book/whatever SPOILERS. THX!

On Aug 3, 6:08 pm, blurbees <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 1, 12:46?pm, banterboy <bickerf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Let's argue about... Movies
>
> > what are your favorite movies?
>
> > what makes a good movie good?
>
> in general?
>
> amusing, thought-provoking, beautiful, inspiring/uplifting, sad/
> depressing, provides escapism, makes you feel good about the world and
> people in some way, intriguing, mysterious, good use of music, sexy,
> good-natured and/or horrifying, scenic, cool, "hip", etc..
>
> > contrast something you consider a good movie with something you
> > consider a crappy one.
>
> not right now.
>
> > how about movies that are better than the books they were based on?
>

> > andhttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vice%20versa

blurbees

Aug 5, 2007, 12:35:16 PM8/5/07
to bickerfest.com
On Aug 5, 11:26?am, O' Tim <oht...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting points, thanks banterboy.

you're welcome, o'tim.

it was my bickerfesting pleasure.

> A friendly request to all bickerfesters: PLEASE notify readers
> of potential movie/book/whatever SPOILERS. THX!

i hope you're not somehow suggesting that i didn't properly notify
spoilers myself somewhere.

i reread it and the only thing i could come up with is maybe the Bono
thinger?

if anything, my mention of that will only make that minor joke
funnier.

but only if, like myself, you think that sort of thing is amusing in
the first place.

Message has been deleted

O' Tim

Aug 7, 2007, 12:38:20 PM8/7/07
to bickerfest.com

On Aug 5, 12:35 pm, blurbees <blurb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 11:26?am, O' Tim <oht...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting points, thanks banterboy.
>
> you're welcome, o'tim.
>
> it was my bickerfesting pleasure.
>
> > A friendly request to all bickerfesters: PLEASE notify readers
> > of potential movie/book/whatever SPOILERS. THX!
>
> i hope you're not somehow suggesting that i didn't properly notify
> spoilers myself somewhere.
>
> i reread it and the only thing i could come up with is maybe the Bono
> thinger?

Bb/Bb:
It was this part that got me thinking about the need for spoiler
warnings:

"one of my favorite parts was when little Maggie finally spoke, after
all the many years of just sucking on her plastic rubber nipple
thinger, happily wordless.

although i'll bet most movie goers never stuck around for her spoken
part, and she only said one word, but what a beaut.

it was quite funny -- i laughed outloud because it poked at the entire
Simpsons movie itself and the rampant consumerism of it all."

I realize that you kept it pretty general and I wouldn't count it as
an egregious offense. You do the service of suggesting people ride out
the credits for a little surprise, but not before you pointed out that
after 17-odd years of mime, Maggie breaks her silence - so minus 3.6
surprise points for you, dammit ;)

Most Respectful Rearguards,

O' Tim