Let's argue about... English

1 view

blurbees

Jul 29, 2007, 6:16:07 PM7/29/07
to bickerfest.com
Let's argue about... English

so i find that i use the contraction "there's" quite a bit.

but when i look back at my usage, i sometimes wonder if it's wrong.

many times, it seems like what i mean to say is "there are" not "there
is".

for instance:

there's plenty of opportunities out there
to improve your quality of life if one would
simply blah blah blah

so, is that bad english?

or should i have used the singular form of opportunity in that case?

maybe that's not the best example for what i'm wondering.

if i think up any others i'll post them here.

anyway, my argumentative question is:

are there ANY times, ever, when using "there's" is acceptable even
though using "there are" would probably be far more grammatically
correct, technically speaking?

i think it's things like this that make my writing clunky at times.

i guess i should have paid far more attention to the lessons they were
teaching in school.

or maybe the teachers weren't nearly as good as they should have been.

who's to say?

the teachers would probably argue one thing, and i might argue
another.

that's how life is.

pointlessly complicated.

Sincerely,
Mr. B$ Blurbees

http://bickerfest.blogspot.com
(where a good argument is worth its weight in B$)

Message has been deleted