An ISSN resolver to provide linked data for journals

Rod Page

Jul 9, 2009, 2:43:18 PM7/9/09
to Bibliographic Ontology Specification Group
I've created a simple linked data-compliant service that resolves
ISSNs.

A URL of the form http://bioguid.info/issn/XXXX-XXXX (where XXXX-XXXX
is the ISSN) will return what my local database knows about the
journal (basically one or more titles).

If the database doesn't have a match for the ISSN, it returns a HTTP
404 code. If the ISSN is invalid, it returns a 400.

I threw this together this afternoon for my own purposes (I need RDF
for journals), so it's not terribly elegant, but it may be of use. It
uses the Bibliographic Ontology to describe a journal.

The service is here http://bioguid.info/issn/, and an example is
http://bioguid.info/issn/1000-0739

Regards

Rod

Bruce D'Arcus

Jul 9, 2009, 2:49:08 PM7/9/09
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com

Cool.

Are you aware of this?

<http://periodicals.dataincubator.org>

Bruce

Rod Page

Jul 9, 2009, 3:03:34 PM7/9/09
to Bibliographic Ontology Specification Group
Yes, my database was originally seed in a similar way (CrossRef,
JSTOR, NLM), but grows as I stumble across more obscure journals.
Hence, I suspect my database has broader coverage. It might be useful
to add links from my RDF to the corresponding item in

On Jul 9, 7:49 pm, "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Rod Page<rdmp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've created a simple linked data-compliant service that resolves
> > ISSNs.
>
> > A URL of the formhttp://bioguid.info/issn/XXXX-XXXX(where XXXX-XXXX
> > is the ISSN) will return what my local database knows about the
> > journal (basically one or more titles).
>
> > If the database doesn't have a match for the ISSN, it returns a HTTP
> > 404 code. If the ISSN is invalid, it returns a 400.
>
> > I threw this together this afternoon for my own purposes (I need RDF
> > for journals), so it's not terribly elegant, but it may be of use. It
> > uses the        Bibliographic Ontology to describe a journal.
>
> > The service is herehttp://bioguid.info/issn/, and an example is

Chris Clarke

Jul 9, 2009, 6:18:54 PM7/9/09
to bibliographic-ontolog...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rod,

I think periodicals has around 36k journals at present, would be interested to hear how many you have, perhaps we can share sources.

We also add in links to LOC, for example:

which can be also accessed by

Perhaps the latter is the best to sameas to, we're considering changing the slugging algorithm on the /journal/ namespace as it causes some problems.

You can request the raw RDF/JSON/Turtle

(this can also be done via content negotiation)

Thanks,

Chris

Find out more about Talis at www.talis.com

shared innovationTM

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those of Talis Information Ltd or its employees. The content of this email message and any files that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an unauthorised recipient is prohibited.

Talis Information Ltd is a member of the Talis Group of companies and is registered in England No 3638278 with its registered office at Knights Court, Solihull Parkway, Birmingham Business Park, B37 7YB.