Earthquake shakes South Australia

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

Sep 5, 2011, 1:37:17 PM9/5/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Great Earthquakes In Diverse Places

Earthquake shakes South Australia

Updated September 05, 2011 12:58:08
AAP

An earthquake has shaken part of the mid-north of South Australia.

The 4.0-magnitude quake struck near Yongala, between Peterborough and Jamestown, at 8:45pm ACST and was felt more than 80 kilometres away at Port Pirie.

A second quake measuring 2.1 struck about two hours later.

There have been no immediate reports of damage to roads or buildings.

Caltowie resident Kylie said she saw chairs move and her home suffered minor cracking.

"It probably lasted at least 30 seconds from what we heard," she said.

"We were sitting down in the kitchen and you know the chairs were shaking that we were sitting on."

Maryanne, a resident of Mannanarie, said her windows rattled.

"You could feel the whole house shaking, but then the unusual thing for me was that during the night we had at least, well I counted seven aftershocks, just little rumbles. Only of a second or so but they kept going all night, like a bad case of indigestion," she said.

Seismologist David Love said the epicentre was about 10 kilometres deep.

Geosciences Australia said the tremor was no surprise as the Flinders Ranges further north were a site of high seismic activity.

It warned small aftershocks could be felt for hours.