UK Electrician faces sack for displaying Christian cross in his van

Pastor Dale Morgan

Apr 17, 2011, 1:18:09 AM4/17/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Faith Under Fire.......

UK Electrician faces sack for displaying Christian cross in his van

An electrician and former soldier faces the sack for displaying a small palm cross in the window of his company van.

Wakefield and District Housing claims the cross may cause offence

12:14AM BST 17 Apr 2011
The Telegraph UK

Colin Atkinson, 64, from Wakefield, has been called to a disciplinary hearing at the housing association where he has worked for 15 years.

His bosses at the publicly funded Wakefield and District Housing (WDH) have demanded he remove the eight inch long cross made from woven palm leaves that sits on his dashboard.

The organisation claims the cross may cause offence but says it strongly promotes "inclusive" policies and allows employees to wear religious symbols at work.

It has provided stalls at gay pride events, held "diversity days" for travellers, and has allowed other staff to display photographs of Che Guevera, the revolutionary leader, in their office.

Mr Atkinson, who is a regular worshipper at church, said: “I have worked in the coal mines and served in the Army in Northern Ireland and I have never suffered such stress.

“The treatment of Christians in this country is becoming diabolical. It is political correctness taken to the extreme.

“I have never been so full of resolve. I am determined to stand up for my rights. If they sack me, so be it. But I am standing up for my faith.”

Mr Atkinson said he was first asked to remove the last year. When he refused the same request was made by several different managers.

In one meeting with senior managers he was told by the company’s equality and diversity manager that the cross “gives the impression that WDH is a Christian organisation”.

He has since been told that managers will hold a full disciplinary hearing in May.

Andrea Williams, of the Christian Legal Centre, which is backing Mr Atkinson, said: “This smacks of something deeply illiberal and remarkably intolerant. Is this the kind of society the British public want to live in?

‘The cross is a profound symbol of God’s love for all of us. We should not be embarrassed about it.”

Wakefield District Housing said: “We do not allow employees to display any personal representations in our vehicles, although they are free to do so upon their person.

“It would be inappropriate to comment further about this individual case.”

Mr Atkinson’s battle follows a series of similar cases involving Christians who claim they are being victimised because of their faith.