3 dead as Deadly Storms Lash US East Coast with Wind, Rain, Tornadoes

Pastor Dale Morgan

Dec 1, 2010, 6:05:04 PM12/1/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

3 dead as Deadly Storms Lash US East Coast with Wind, Rain, Tornadoes

Crews work on a flooded car near Atlanta on Tuesday. A strong storm with a possible tornado tore through north Georgia Tuesday, damaging at least 56 homes, downing trees and scattering debris across lawns.

NEW YORK (AP) — Wind-whipped rain knocked out power Wednesday to thousands along the East Coast, closed the Statue of Liberty and delayed flights at three major airports. At least three people were killed.

Tornado watches were issued for parts of the Virginias, and sandbags were handed out in Washington, D.C., to protect homes from flooding. Thousands were without electricity in the mid-Atlantic region and New York, and some schools delayed openings.

Suspected tornadoes have touched down from Louisiana to South Carolina since Monday as part of the storm system, which reached the Northeast late Wednesday, with colder air turning the rain into snow.

In New York, gusts of winds that snapped a huge, lighted Christmas tree at the South Street Seaport also prompted the closure of the Statue of Liberty. Flight delays of up to five hours were reported at LaGuardia Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

TRAVEL TROUBLE: Storm snarls flights in Northeast

The National Weather Service issued thunderstorm warnings for parts of New Jersey, New York City and suburban Long Island. High winds led authorities to briefly ban all trucks from using the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge between the boroughs of Brooklyn and Staten Island.

Commuter rail service between Newark, N.J., and New York City was briefly suspended on Wednesday due to overhead wire damage, New Jersey Transit said. It wasn't immediately clear whether the storm was responsible for the damage.

The rain was causing some discomfort in the city, where broken umbrellas peeked out from trash cans and many pedestrians were soaked.

"I'm about 45% drenched," said Charles Hendricks, 33, passing out fliers in front of a Manhattan store. "My arms, my legs, my hat. But I still prefer a wet day over a cold day, especially in December."

In New Jersey, a man was killed and his wife injured when a tree toppled and struck their car, West Milford police said. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the woman was taken to a hospital with head injuries. Thousands in the state were without power.

In upstate New York, blowing snow caused treacherous driving conditions, and high winds were blamed for knocking out power to more than 31,000 utility customers.

Hundreds of miles to the south, residents in Buford, Ga., were cleaning up after a tornado with winds as high as 130 mph whipped through, damaging more than 50 homes, the National Weather Service said. No injuries were reported there.

Tami O'Connor's house suffered considerable damage and a home across the street was destroyed. She was home with her two children when the storm hit.

"It didn't take any more than two minutes. As I walked into the living room to tell my kids to get into the basement, my living room imploded," she said. "Half of my living room was sucked into my backyard, but nobody was hurt. It was a miracle. The baby Jesus is still on the mantel."

Insured losses were estimated at $5 million, said state Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, who surveyed the neighborhood from the air Wednesday.

In an unincorporated area of suburban Atlanta about 30 miles away, 54-year-old Matthew Mitchell died after a tree fell on the car he was driving Tuesday in a storm. Police believe strong wind gusts blew the tree over.

In Tennessee, a rock slide followed 2 inches of rain, blocking part of a highway between Knoxville and the airport. Flooding closed roads in the Carolinas, which saw up to 6 inches of rain in some areas. In Greenville County, S.C., 50-year-old Rita Hunter of Travelers Rest was killed Tuesday when she lost control of her car on a wet roadway, struck a tree and overturned.

Wet, wintry weather in Pennsylvania caused flooding and delayed school openings. More than 3 inches of rain had fallen in Pittsburgh since Tuesday morning, National Weather Service officials said, and the drenching forced the evacuation of dorms at the University of Pittsburgh satellite campus in Bradford near the New York state line. Classes were canceled.

Earlier, the storm brought suspected tornadoes to Louisiana and Mississippi, where more than a dozen people were injured. In Yazoo City, Miss., which was hit months ago by a severe tornado, 63-year-old Clarence Taylor said the town again looked like a war zone. The winds blew off a tarp he had put on his roof to cover damage from the April storm.

"This is the second time it dropped down on this street in just six months," Taylor said. "I've been through it, man."