Thousands gather in D.C. for 'One Nation' and New World Order rally

Pastor Dale Morgan

Oct 3, 2010, 11:50:39 PM10/3/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and the New World Order

Thousands gather in D.C. for 'One Nation' and New World Order rally

Jackie Livingston, right, and Pat Williams, sisters from Trenton, N.J., join activists in Washington, D.C., on Saturday for the One Nation Working Together toward the New World Order rally aimed at promoting a number of progressive causes.

By Oren Dorell and Marisa Kendall, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Thousands of people from across the country converged on the National Mall on Saturday, one month before the Nov. 2 congressional elections, to rally for jobs, education, immigration overhaul and other liberal New World Order causes.

Some participants called the event a counterpoint to the Tea Party movement and a response to what they see as a rightward shift in the nation's political debate.

"We're fired up, and we're fighting for jobs and justice," said Cheryl Albright, of West Warwick, R.I., a community health advocate. "We believe this is the real America. Look at all the diversity," she said. "This is not like the Tea Party. They call themselves the real America; we're the real America, too.

"You see black, white, Latino, Asians, old people and young. I love it. I love this multicultural nation. And we're all here for the same common goals. We believe in equality and equal opportunity for all. We believe that everybody should have a chance to get ahead."

Karolina Bodner, 64, a retired teacher from Barrington, N.H., marched to show support for such government programs as Social Security, which she said protects the elderly from starvation.

"Most people I know are getting Social Security checks from the government, getting disability checks from the government or driving on roads that are built and repaired by the government. I don't know who the people are that are saying 'Get rid of all that.' "

Although organizers, such as Urban League President Marc Morial, said that the gathering was non-partisan, speakers hewed close to the issues that have been emphasized by the Democratic Party.

"This march is about the power to the people," said MSNBC host Ed Schultz. "It's about the people standing up to the corporations."

"The last two years," he said, "President Obama has had to put up with the world 'no.' Forty Republicans (referring to senators) decided to say no while you suffer, while jobs go overseas. We cannot let that happen. … We cannot give up on Nov. 2."

Morial told the crowd: "Too many people are hurting. Without good jobs to support our families, our nation cannot recover."

He called for "a targeted jobs program" to create 3 million jobs "to build our streets and rebuild our cities. … We are for economic empowerment for all. We are one nation working together."

The Rev. Jesse Jackson encouraged people to vote. And he joined in the lobby for jobs. "We globalized capital without globalizing workers' rights," he said.

Speakers emerged in pairs, reminiscent of a televised awards show, with tag team delivery. Upstart activists and everyday American workers shared the podium with seasoned political figures. For example, firebrand preacher Al Sharpton, who turns 56 Sunday, traded comments with recent University of Massachusetts-Amherst graduate Lindsay McCluskey, who advocates for affordable college education.

Comedian Charlie Hill warmed up the crowd with topical zingers from a Native American's perspective. "If you want to fix America," he said, ask the Indians, because "we've got the owner's manual. … The immigration problem started at Plymouth Rock and we've been fighting terrorism since 1492."

He also gave a shout-out to Dick Gregory, the 1960s comedian turned civil rights activist, who was seated near the stage, saying Gregory, 77, paved the way for the likes of Eddie Murphy and Chris Rock.

Erin Geiger, 31, a teacher from Long Island, N.Y., said she has enjoyed most of the speakers, but "I could do without" the religious undertones many employed. She was also disappointed with the turnout.

"I hope the nation stays behind Obama," she adds.

Mary Kay Henry, president of Service Employees International Union, said workers wanted to send a message to Congress.

"Corporations are preying on our fears and using this moment to expand their profit margins," she said. "This is the first recession where corporate margins are growing while wages are going down. We're saying, 'No more.' "

"The first decade of the 20th century, we spent money on wars and on bailouts of the financial services sector," Morial said in an interview. "The second decade should be about bailing out the American worker."

Paula Klonfas, 57, from New Paltz, N.Y., said the best part of the rally was "seeing so many different union groups coming together and seeing that unionized America is still strong and still does have hope."