Australia: 22 Queensland horse deaths remains a mystery

Pastor Dale Morgan

Oct 14, 2011, 11:55:53 AM10/14/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Plagues, Pestilences and Diseases

Australia: 22 Queensland horse deaths remains a mystery

    * From: AAP
    * October 14, 2011 5:28PM

THERE is still no clear cause for the deaths of 22 horses on a southeast Queensland property.

Biosecurity Queensland says it is continuing to work with a private veterinarian on the property at Kooralbyn, 90km west of the Gold Coast, where 22 quarter horses have died since last week.

Three horses are surviving on the property.

Queensland chief veterinary officer Rick Symons said today that because there was no clear cause of death a wide range of tests were being conducted.

"I know people want answers but these tests take time and we need to ensure we conduct a thorough investigation if we are to find the cause," he said in a statement.

"We have had some initial results but nothing we have received to date has confirmed the cause.

"We expect more in-depth results late next week."

Authorities confirmed a new case of Hendra disease this week in a horse at Beachmere, north of Brisbane, but Hendra has been ruled out as the cause of death in the Kooralbyn quarter horses.

Their owner Steve Hogno has aired concern that the horses, specially bred for sprint racing, may have been deliberately poisoned by an opponent of the sport.