Why Baptism is an Important Part of the Salvation Process

Pastor Dale Morgan

Jan 22, 2011, 12:58:47 PM1/22/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Why Baptism is an Important Part of the Salvation Process

By Pastor Harold Swift
Published: Friday, January 21, 2011 3:08 PM PST

Margret has written and asked if a person needs to be baptized to go to heaven.

This is a good question. It’s a loaded one only because there are a lot of people out there who have been trained to war against it, negating it to a level where it was never supposed to be. I will try to answer your question by giving you Scriptures which will illuminate God's intended purpose of baptism. Understand countless volumes of books have been written on this subject, so my brief answer only scratches the surface of what is a potentially huge dialogue.

Those who emphasize that a baptism, of and by itself, without the prerequisites of repentance, faith and belief, can 'save you', tend to be staunch "Universalists", which lends itself to living a life thinking one cannot step out of God’s salvation and that all good people get to go to Heaven irregardless of their religious beliefs . This makes these people self important, argumentative, as well as egotistical. It tends to make others miserable who know them.

The ones who under-emphasis baptism and say it is not needed, tend to be overly sentimental,  philosophical dreamers and not too practical. They disregard baptism’s God-given purpose and reduce it to a minimal part of man’s doctrine and of no effect. This lends itself to overconfidence, haphazard Bible study methods and mediocre lifestyles.

The first time we're given instruction on baptism in the New Testament is in Matthew 3. Jesus goes to John the Baptist to be immersed (true meaning of baptism from the original Greek) in water in order to please His Father. Jesus gave a clear directive, "It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires (Matthew 3:15)." If there was one person in the New Testament who had the opportunity to be baptized but didn’t need to be, it would be Jesus. Yet, he did it, anyway, to be obedient to  His Father and set the example for us to follow.

After Jesus rose from the dead and just before He ascended to heaven, he gave a parting command to all who would be His disciples. We know it as the Great Commission. In it he says instructs us to baptize people, teaching them obedience (Matthew 28:18-20).

Shortly after His ascension, the church was launched by the guide of the Holy Spirit through the Apostles. Peter became the main mouthpiece of God, and convinced many in the crowds to become believers. When those who believed were convicted, they asked Peter and the others what they should do. Peter did not have them pray or congratulate them in their conversion. No, he told them plainly, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2:38)." Notice, He said to do this "for the forgiveness of sins." and "then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" permanently into your life

So, it is quite clear God's salvation plan for His people does include Biblical baptism. Some will argue, "What about the thief on the cross?" Those who do this have missed a very basic tenet of Christianity – that there is no salvation without the death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus. Also I must mention that we do not know that his person had not been previously baptized! The Bible does not say that this person had not been baptized. Also we must mention that there was no salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, at the time of the death of the thief on the cross. Even Scripture explains the will of God was not fully, putting into effect, the salvation process until after Jesus' sacrifice and his return to the Father (Hebrews 9).

The simple physical act of immersion in water, by itself, will not save anyone. No, it is important what a person knows at the time (Acts 19). Baptism is only one part of a believer's  salvation process. Baptism must be predicated by a true Belief in Christ, a true heartfelt repentance and a true and genuine faith Otherwise baptism of and by itself , is of no effect and is not a persons’ guarantee in to heaven.

Legalism has permeated our world all too much. People often have a knee-jerk reaction when hearing a pastor agree with the Scriptures which clearly spell out the necessity of baptism. Often they’ll try to reduce this down to a discussion of faith versus works, identifying baptism as a work. I don’t think God cares so much if we call baptism a work. After all, Jesus called believing a work (John 6:29). I’ve yet to hear someone suggest you don’t have to believe to be saved because believing is a work.

Related Link:
Revealing My Testimony! Do You Need To Be Properly and Biblically Baptized?
http://www3.telus.net/thegoodnews/baptized.htm