New Zealand: Raging Wildfires means No Christmas break for firefighters

Pastor Dale Morgan

Dec 24, 2010, 9:44:56 PM12/24/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

New Zealand: Raging Wildfires means No Christmas break for firefighters

The Press
Last updated 16:31 24/12/2010

Firefighters will be spending their Christmas working to contain a blaze that has already destroyed almost 60 hectares of trees and pasture in North Canterbury.

The fire in the Ashworth Beach Forest near Leithfield broke out on Wednesday afternoon and spread quickly into a neighbouring pine plantation fanned by strong nor-west winds.

Darren Mann, from the Ashley Rural Fire District, said although the fire was about 80 percent contained firefighters could not afford to let up on the operation while there was a risk of winds whipping the fire back into life.

He said although a south-west change predicted for this morning did not eventuate, high humidity had helped cool the fire.

The operation is being scaled down from nine crews to four crews for Christmas Day with firefighters from Nelson/Marlborough, Northland and Rotorua staying on until December 27 to allow local crews time out to spend with their families.

"We know they would also like to be tucking into a turkey at home and we certainly appreciate that they are continuing to work through allowing our guys time with their families.

"They've been working tirelessly with us since Thursday. This kind of out of region assistance is greatly appreciated."

The minister of Internal Affairs, Nathan Guy, thanked firefighters from throughout New Zealand for their work in Canterbury.

"We appreciate it's a tricky time with strong winds and being so close to Christmas but we are grateful for everyone's expertise on the ground and in the air.''

Almost sixty hectares of trees and pasture have been burnt in the fire, along with a local timber plant.

Mann said the fire has taxed local resources and he urges people to take extra care in the hot, dry conditions.

"The last thing we need now is another fire somewhere else".

Fire restrictions are in force across North Canterbury, meaning open fires cannot be lit without a permit.

The Canterbury and West Coast Regional Rural Fire Committee's emergency coordination centre is expected to disestablish later today with local rural fire authorities taking over patrol and monitoring duties.