FLOODS, 55 MPH WINDS AND 16 FT WAVES BATTER BRITAIN IN DAY OF CHAOS

Pastor Dale Morgan

Nov 10, 2010, 1:15:07 AM11/10/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

FLOODS, 55 MPH WINDS AND 16 FT WAVES BATTER BRITAIN IN DAY OF CHAOS

FLOODS AND WINDS: Trees crashed down on to cars in Hartlepool as gales swept across the country

Wednesday November 10,2010
By Nathan Rao

BRITAIN was battered by torrential downpours and gale force winds yesterday as flash floods brought chaos.

Worst hit was the South Coast, where some areas got more than a fortnight’s worth of rain in just one day and 16ft waves were whipped up by 55mph winds.

Forecasters warned of yet another onslaught tonight, with flood warnings issued across the country.

Around 50 houses in Emsworth, near Portsmouth, Hants, were evacuated after a street was submerged in 5ft of flood water.

Week-old Poppy Kehagias and her mother Hannah were among dozens of people ferried to safety.

The Met Office said 1.5in of rain fell in Emsworth between 10pm on Monday and 11am yesterday. The daily average for this time of year is just a tenth of an inch.

Resident Roy Millea, 64, said: “It was unbelievable. I walked out of my house and saw my car three feet deep in water. The scene outside was completely chaotic.

“Some poor chap was trying to drive through the water. In the end he abandoned his car. Children were being loaded into a boat by firemen. They looked cold and upset. Water was pouring into their homes.”

Jill Millar, chairwoman of Emsworth community association, said: “The police and firemen were unblocking storm drains that had caused the water to get so high and the community pulled together, making cups of tea for them.

“In 30 years I’ve never seen the water get so high. We’ve had the odd flood but never anything like this.”

The South saw the heaviest rain but many other areas of Britain were on flood alert. In the North-east, high winds blew down trees on to cars in Hartlepool, Co Durham.

By 6am yesterday, more than an inch of rain had fallen at Shoreham Airport in Sussex, with a similar amount in Farnham, Surrey.

Sussex police dealt with more than 40 weather-related incidents on the roads. Surface water and driving rain caused long delays, with several accidents and breakdowns.

Homes and cars were also swamped in Ryde, Sandown and Shanklin on the Isle of Wight yesterday morning.

Ryde was the worst affected with three inches of rain. Waves more than 16ft high battered the coastline at high tide.

A 14-month-old baby boy was rescued from his flooded home as his parents passed him to firemen through a window.

Firefighters handed out hundreds of sandbags to householders.

The Highways Agency said flooding closed one lane of the eastbound A27 near Chichester, West Sussex.

Drivers between the A286 and the A259 junctions were being delayed. A Met Office spokesman said there would be a brief respite today, with rain expected to return by this evening.

London and the South-east are expected to get heavy downpours tomorrow.

Last night the Environment Agency had 10 flood warnings in place in the South and the North-east, with 51 less-serious flood watches. Winds of up to 55mph are expected to hit coastal areas tomorrow.

Bookies Ladbrokes are offering odds on a wet Christmas Day. A spokesman said: “Every year we offer odds on snow on Christmas Day and for most of the country it never does.”