Obedience to God's word will cost you relationships

1 view

Pastor Dale Morgan

Oct 25, 2009, 7:13:47 AM10/25/09
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
*Perilous Times*

October 25, 2009
*
Obedience to God's word will cost you relationships*

By Paul Proctor

I receive a lot of e-mail from troubled Christians who have had to give
up a church, some friends and/or certain family members in order to
remain faithful to God and his word. I suppose that's because I've often
written about having to do the much same thing myself over the years.
Spiritual benefits notwithstanding, it can often be a very
heart-wrenching and lonely journey.

You see, no one can lead you down the road of temptation quicker than a
close friend, family member or fellow Christian. The downgrading of
today's "church" along with society has clearly taken its toll and is
now driving many out the sanctuary doors to preserve their faith in
Jesus Christ.

In a recent radio interview, I heard Institution For Authority Research
founder and director, Dean Gotcher, wisely refer to the loneliness that
results from the forfeiture of such relationships as the taking up of
one's cross for Christ.

I realize the idea of sacrificing certain relationships clashes with
what is taught at most churches today where relationships are everything
— a dangerous notion that is just not biblical. Simply put, it can lead
to a contrived unity of peer worshippers instead of God worshippers who
place the fellowship, opinions, theories, life experiences and personal
tastes of Christians and clergy over and above the word of God.

This religion of relationships has now all but taken over what is called
"Christianity" and ought to be called what it really is: "Churchianity"
— the worship of and faith in those who claim to be the "Body of Christ."

How many times have you heard Christians cite that sacred slogan: "It's
all about relationships?"

Baloney!

It's about repentance and faith in Jesus Christ and our loving obedience
to his word, whatever may come — a faithfulness that will cost you more
relationships than it will ever garner you. Our first love and loyalty
is to him, not our fellow man. That doesn't mean we don't serve others,
sacrifice ourselves and love our neighbor — it simply means they don't
come first in our lives — Jesus Christ does. That's why we call him
"Lord" and not the brethren.

But, when we place our hope and faith in the redeemed rather than the
redeemer and put the words of men over the word of God, we essentially
become like new-agers who believe that God is in everyone and in
everything — worshipping the creation instead of the creator and in
doing so, make ourselves gods to be praised and exalted with
reciprocating adulation and acclaim.

If your Christianity isn't costing you at least some friends and family,
both inside and outside the church house, your hope and faith may have
turned horizontal. If your Sunday gatherings have become flattery
festivals where people are quoted, exalted and praised more than Jesus
Christ, you might want to reconsider your church membership. If you have
friends and family that hate God, but love you, it might be time to
re-examine your witness for Christ and your commitment to him.

Take a discerning look around your church next Sunday and consider
biblically what you see. If it's all about relationships there, it may
be time to hit the door and go find your cross.