Australia: Fierce Flooding, wild winds hit eastern states

Pastor Dale Morgan

Oct 16, 2010, 6:03:13 AM10/16/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

Australia: Fierce Flooding, wild winds hit eastern states

    * From: AAP
    * October 16, 2010 6:35PM

WILD weather has caused havoc for thousands across Australia's eastern states, with floods forcing residents to flee and severe wind damage leaving swathes of homes without power.

The hammering inflicted on parts of Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria was in contrast to the picturesque scenes delivered to the nation's capital, where snowflakes momentarily drifted from the skies.

The snow didn't lie for long amid the deep and muddy puddles left after days of solid rain, but some residents caught a glimpse of the white stuff falling outside their windows.

At Parliament House, it was a touch more like sleet.

Reports of snow also emerged from central NSW and at Victoria's Dandenong Ranges, Kinglake and Ballarat as the state shivered through its coldest October low since 1995.

Overnight temperatures dropped to 4.7C, according to the Victorian Bureau of Meteorology, paving the way for a chilly 15C day at Melbourne's races.

The $2.5 million Caulfield Cup went ahead despite the weather but the heavy track took a toll, forcing several scratchings.

Fashionistas kept a close eye on forecasts, but it didn't deter some from wearing their first choice of outfit.

Georgina of Hawthorn was one who put fashion before comfort.

"I thought about it but I was just like I've spent so much money on the dress, I'm wearing it and I'm just going to look like I'm really warm," she said, sitting with her boyfriend's jacket over her legs.

Much of the state experienced a cold, wet and windy start to the weekend with widespread warnings of possible flooding and even the news that the rain has slowed down the pending locust invasion.

In NSW, the downpour resulted in a natural disaster declaration for parts of the state's south, where hundreds of people were forced to evacuate their homes and major roads were cut off because of flooding.

The State Emergency Services (SES) said today it had received about 1000 calls for help, with 46 people being rescued from the floods, including trapped motorists.

About 200 people were evacuated from the township of Tumbarumba after the nearby Mannus Dam failed overnight.

Dozens of others were forced to leave their homes after properties were flooded in the towns of Lockhart, The Rock, Uranquinty, Walla Walla, Holbrook, Adelong and Tumut.

Wild winds and rain also delivered a blow to Queensland's southeast corner, knocking out electricity supplies to nearly 50,000 homes and businesses.

Most were reconnected by this afternoon.

More than 30 people at Lake Manchester in Brisbane's outerwest have been cut off since Tuesday because of floodwaters.

The Brisbane City Council and the SES dropped off more food and gas to the residents this afternoon.

Minor flood warnings are current for the Barcoo, Condamine, Macintyre and Brisbane rivers.

Since last Sunday, most of Queensland's southeast has seen falls of between 100mm and 300mm but the worst of the wet appears to be over.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/flooding-wild-winds-hit-eastern-states/story-e6frfku0-1225939587820#ixzz12VyFifEC