New Zealand: Vicious storms, Torrential rains cause flash floods

-Pastor-Dale-Morgan-

Jan 1, 2012, 2:19:29 AM1/1/12
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

New Zealand: Vicious storms, Torrential rains cause flash floods

    From correspondents in Wellington
    AAP
    January 01, 2012 1:40PM

TWO people who ignored flood warnings have had to scramble for safety from a partially submerged car on New Zealand's North Island.

The car was stuck in the Waimana River in the Bay of Plenty today.

The pair were airlifted to a local hospital, police said.

Roads in the area are closed due to flooding, and water has flooded outl homes in the small town of Waimana.

A woman and three children were cut off in a home in the town, Fairfax Media reported.

Rivers in the eastern Bay of Plenty were still rising today and flooding was expected to be severe at high tide.

Torrential rain over the North Island yesterday forced the cancellation of New Year's Eve entertainments in Wellington, but celebrations went ahead in other centres.

Mud was a problem at an outdoor music festival in the Coromandel Peninsula.

A hose was hauled into the emergency department of Thames Hospital to sluice down mud-covered patients.

"We've got to hose them down before we can treat them for whatever ailment they have got," Waikato District Health Board communications director Mary Anne Gill told Radio New Zealand.