Firefighters across Southern Indiana battling two large raging wildfires

Pastor Dale Morgan

Nov 14, 2010, 6:00:28 AM11/14/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

Firefighters across Southern Indiana battling two large raging wildfires

by Mike Colombo

WHAS11.com

LOUISVILLE, KY (WHAS11) – Mix in the wind and hilly terrain and firefighters really have their hands full.

In Floyd County, crews are cutting a wider fire break with brush trucks and continue to clear up hot spots.  Fire officials tell us the fire has been contained within the fire breaks.  Earlier Saturday, as the fire spread, residents weren’t sure they’d be able to stay in their homes.

From the sky, the fires look impossible to control, but on the ground crews were busy digging fire breaks and getting water on what they could to stop the wildfires from spreading.

From Highway 111 in Floyd County people took in a sight you’re more likely to see out west.  “It’s getting pretty close to some houses back there.  We’ve been down here twenty minutes and it’s definitely getting a lot worse,” said New Albany resident Marty Schindler.

“They call it black snow.  That’s what it looked like earlier,” said Eunice Marie Cronin.  One of those homes in the path of the Floyd County fire belongs to Eunice Marie Cronin.  “My neighbor says your yards on fire; I go what?!” said Cronin.

While crews worked to control the blaze, the Cronin’s had few options not knowing what path the fire would take.  “They told us to be prepared to leave.  We’ve got all of our stuff in buckets and waiting by the back door right now,” added Cronin.

Luckily for the Cronin’s, they didn’t have to leave home; but for others living in Kentuckiana, until more rain falls the possibility for more fires like this will still be a threat.

“It’s going to continue to be a problem until we get a lot of moisture.  The little bit of rain we’ve had is not enough and the little bit of rain we’ve had today won’t be enough,” said Lafayette Township Fire Department’s Ryan Houchen.

In all, the Cronin’s say they lost about two or three acres of their property today.

Fire officials still don’t have a cause, but with the dry conditions, we know the slightest spark can set off a fire like this.