Another round of Storms and flash floods sweep across South Australia

Pastor Dale Morgan

Feb 16, 2011, 3:12:27 AM2/16/11
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times

Another round of Storms and flash floods sweep across South Australia

A clean-up is underway in the Barossa Valley and other parts of South Australia after fierce thunderstorms.

The downpour and strong wind gusts brought down trees and led to flash flooding late on Tuesday.

Emergency crews rescued a woman at Eudunda after her car got swept along a flooded road.

Swan Reach recorded nearly 70 millimetres of rain.

Nuriootpa and Kapunda had readings of more than 40 millimetres.

Peter Scott from the State Emergency Service said there was less damage than when storms hit late last year.

"We don't believe there's been too much ... with the last floods in the area we had mudslides and everything else," he said.

"It appears to just be water damage. Crews are still assessing the full extent."

Ian Light from the Tanunda Hotel said the main street flooded and water entered some premises.

"The water just can't get away from the main street in the drains, so a lot of businesses are experiencing a lot of water in their premises," he said as the rain fell.

"We've got water in different spots coming through the pub and down our cellar."

At Stockwell, the publican Daryl Gustavsson described the storms as ferocious.

"Some of the biggest, meanest blackest clouds I've ever seen in my life," he said.

He says part of his hotel had now flooded three times since December.

Barossa grape growers are now checking whether the storms caused any serious damage to their crops.

Ebenezer grower Adrian Hoffmann had 79 millimetres of rain in just under an hour.

He said there was a risk of soil erosion, diseases such as powdery mildew, enlarged fruit and split grapes.

"For some growers it's going to be an absolute disaster and for other growers it will be a little bit of a blessing that they've received a bit more rainfall," he said.

Barossa growers expect to begin harvesting in about a fortnight.