Canada: B.C. forest fires continue burning massive areas

Pastor Dale Morgan

Aug 28, 2010, 3:12:48 PM8/28/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Perilous Times and Climate Change

Canada: B.C. forest fires continue burning massive areas

Last Updated: Saturday, August 28, 2010 | 5:50 AM PT

The Canadian Press

The Binta Lake fire, west of Prince George, B.C., is the largest fire in the province, at about 400 square kilometres in size. The Binta Lake fire, west of Prince George, B.C., is the largest fire in the province, at about 400 square kilometres in size. (B.C. Forest Service)

This fire season in B.C. hasn't been as expensive to fight or as destructive to homes, but more than twice the normal amount of forest has gone up in flames.

"We're more than double our 10-year average in terms of hectares burned," said provincial fire information officer Alyson Couch.

Just over 3,000 square kilometres went up in a matter of weeks — more than half the area of Prince Edward Island.

Cooler weather has changed the tune just a week after B.C.'s forest minister was sounding a warning of potentially dire consequences as wind whipped up forest fires in the province.

    'They might not get completely put out until the snow falls.'—Fire information officer Alyson Couch

Several evacuation alerts have been rescinded and damp and cooler weather has even allowed officials to lift a campfire ban in limited parts of the coastal fire district and for all of the northwest and Prince George districts.

Just three evacuation alerts remain for residents where fires are burning near their homes, down from more than a dozen at this season's peak.
Fewer homes evacuated

While Couch said there were more evacuation alerts and orders issued this year than last, many more people were evacuated during the 2009 fire season because the fires were closer to larger centres including in the Okanagan and Lillooet, B.C.

"We count our blessings where we can, but the fires certainly did impact a lot of people," she said referring to the high number of alerts this year.

The government spent $400 million last year fighting the fires compared to more than $165 million this year.

But some of the fires are massive and Couch said officials may simply monitor the fires until winter weather arrives.

"When they cover a large area and the behaviour has calmed down a bit, we can go in and mop them up, but they might not get completely put out until the snow falls."

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/27/bc-wildfire-season.html#ixzz0xvgtrl8V