Black Widow spiders infest San Diego elementary school

Pastor Dale Morgan

Oct 5, 2010, 4:03:12 AM10/5/10
to Bible-Pro...@googlegroups.com
Plagues, Pestilences and Diseases

Black Widow spiders infest San Diego elementary school

Black widow spiders prompt concerns in San Diego

By Michael Muskal

October 5, 2010|4:12 p.m.

Halloween arrived early at a San Diego elementary schools when black widow spiders infested more than a third of the classrooms.

“It’s spider season,” said Tim Suanico, who has been principal of the Pete W. Ross Elementary School for four years. “This is the first time we have seen it at this level. Usually, it is one or two and we step on it and it’s over with.”

No bites have been reported from the spiders identified as black widow and brown widow varieties, Suanico said. He estimated that four to six spiders were found as many as 10 classrooms. The school has 380 students and about 20 classrooms.

Last week, officials tried to clear out the vermin from one classroom, but by this Tuesday, the spiders had returned, prompting emergency meetings.

The current plan is to work this weekend and kill off the spiders, Suanico said.

The bite of black or brown widow spider can cause respiratory distress and the severity can vary depending on the individual, he said.